7 replies to this topic

#1 Diver4fun

Diver4fun

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying the Turtle trigger for Olympus, does anyone have experience with these? Having TTL and a good recycling time sounds very appealing.

Regards

#2 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

I was hoping someone would reply.  I am interested in that product as well, but it is quite expensive so I thought some feedback would be useful.  Must not be popular.  They have two different models of this and I can't tell from the website which one fits which housing.  

#3 Diver4fun

Diver4fun

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:57 AM

I ended up buying this product and using it in a trip to Indonesia.

While the product initially worked as advertised (tested it at home for a few dives) the build quality is very bad, there's a tiny on/off switch that's hard to use.

It looks like it's fully hand-made, some parts are glued together. The connector between the LED unit and the trigger looks very iffy, it was crooked.

After a couple days of diving it stopped working during the dive. There was no moisture in the housing and couldn't find a reason for it to stop working.

Cleaning the connection/hot shoe didn't help. 

I opened it and the solder looked very messy, I think there was also some rust. I can't believe you pay several hundreds for a device that's maybe worth 30€ in parts?

To make things even worse my Olympus FL-lm3 spare flash also stopped working after a couple of dives. So my expensive liveaboard was basically ruined regarding photography.

Hope this helps to inform people buying this product to at least bring several spares, it's frustrating when everything works apart from the trigger!

#4 Balage_diver

Balage_diver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo and electronics

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

I ended up buying this product and using it in a trip to Indonesia.

While the product initially worked as advertised (tested it at home for a few dives) the build quality is very bad, there's a tiny on/off switch that's hard to use.

It looks like it's fully hand-made, some parts are glued together. The connector between the LED unit and the trigger looks very iffy, it was crooked.

After a couple days of diving it stopped working during the dive. There was no moisture in the housing and couldn't find a reason for it to stop working.

Cleaning the connection/hot shoe didn't help. 

I opened it and the solder looked very messy, I think there was also some rust. I can't believe you pay several hundreds for a device that's maybe worth 30€ in parts?

To make things even worse my Olympus FL-lm3 spare flash also stopped working after a couple of dives. So my expensive liveaboard was basically ruined regarding photography.

Hope this helps to inform people buying this product to at least bring several spares, it's frustrating when everything works apart from the trigger!

Dear Dive4Fun, 

We are so sorry your trip.  Sometime we had same situation with other technics at the past. 

But.  All Turtle users are very important to Us and we also would like to help in this case.

If you send back the TURTLE  we can check what was the problem and send you a new one with new warranty.

We are open for every user and try to help every situation.

Please write me to the supportATtrt-electronics.com, how can we organise the repair or change.

Regards

Balazs

TTL for all strobe....   TURTE TTL TRIGGER

#5 Wapiti

Wapiti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

Resurrecting this thread as I'd like to find a trigger for my M1 in the Olympus housing.  Not liking the info about poor build quality, especially at the price point.  Anyone else using this?  Any other alternatives out there?

#6 davec13o2

davec13o2

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

You may want to check out the UW-Technics unit and contact them to see if it can be adapted to your housing. 

#7 Balage_diver

Balage_diver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo and electronics

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

Resurrecting this thread as I'd like to find a trigger for my M1 in the Olympus housing.  Not liking the info about poor build quality, especially at the price point.  Anyone else using this?  Any other alternatives out there?

Hi Wapiti,

Yes you are right.   We had a problem with the old type printed housings  ,but the new SMART series built from ABS plastic. 
Please check the website for any infos or if you need more technical details, just write to Us:    support@trt-electronics.com

https://www.trt-elec...onic-systems/1/

Regards

Balazs

TTL for all strobe....   TURTE TTL TRIGGER

#8 Aldebaran

Aldebaran

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:53 AM

Hello all, 

I have been using the ttl trigger from trt-electronics for the last year or so. I probably have around 50 dives with it and have had no problems whatsoever. ttl works great, and i really like the fact the everything is manageable from the camera ( i haven't touched a strobe for as long as i've had it). The on-off switch is very small indeed but i just leave it on all the time. I've probably charged it twice for as long as i've had it, the battery seems to last forever, and it fits in a nauticam housing perfectly. When i first got it, i contacted the manufacturer for some questions and they were extremely helpful so that's a plus. I'll have to agree though that it looks handmade, and the connector to the leds is very thin wire and looks flimsy, but no problems connecting and disconnecting it, which i do after every dive. hope this helps. i've used it in both nauticam and olympus housings with an em5 markii.

Edited by Aldebaran, 25 April 2019 - 07:12 AM.