• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 aviator8

aviator8

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:50 AM

can anyone tell me how I post images in a post?  I have tried a few times to post a reply in this thread with some results to a few filter experiments.  I can only seem to cut and past the images into the post but when i post it says saving, then the post goes away and never shows up.  I do not see an attach option.

nevermind I figured it out below

Edited by aviator8, 17 April 2019 - 05:10 AM.

#22 aviator8

aviator8

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

Tonight I was able to try some experimentation with the various filter options I have.  I cut the gels and plexiglass to fit my Cokin adapter and set everything up on my rig.  I set focal length to 60mm, ss 1/60th, f 2.5, and let iso autoadjust.  In all pictures it auto selected 3200.  I went out with my light in my yard and found a centipede that fluoresced pretty strongly and chose that as my subject.  With each filter I shot five frames and tried to keep the same distance but it was dark and i was walking inside and out with each filter to write everything down so there is some variability.  I selected the best shot from each group and cropped each so that the centipede is about the same size in each, and i showed some light spill in the right side of the frame on the mulch he was on to judge how much of the blue is making it through the barrier.  

The order of shots were as follows

yellow #2208 transparent plexiglass 1/16 inch 12x12
_DSC1916-3.jpg
chinese sources cokin p yellow conversion filter that just appears to be he right color yellow.

_DSC1921-3.jpg

Lee filter medium yellow 010

_DSC1927-3.jpg
Rosco filter Canary 312

_DSC1929-3.jpg
Lee filters Spring yellow 100

_DSC1937-3.jpg
Lee filter yellow 101
_DSC1939-3.jpg

The Chinese sourced cokin sized filter appears to my eye to be the same as the yellow 2208 plexiglass sheet i bought and the images look nearly the same.  These were the best to my eye.  The lee 101 was a runner up followed by Lee medium yellow 010.  The others I did not like.  the two acrylic/plexiglass filters do have better optical quality in the samples.

Edited by aviator8, 17 April 2019 - 06:34 AM.

#23 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:21 PM

Now that is some alien thing...didnt even realized they glow :)

Thanks for the pics. Lee 101 indeed looks most balanced. Curious about spring yellow 100 though, kinda like this neonish green. Judging by the wavelength, seems it lets a bit blue in..now if only I can find a glass equivalent...

#24 aviator8

aviator8

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:55 PM

Now that is some alien thing...didnt even realized they glow :)

Thanks for the pics. Lee 101 indeed looks most balanced. Curious about spring yellow 100 though, kinda like this neonish green. Judging by the wavelength, seems it lets a bit blue in..now if only I can find a glass equivalent...

You feel the 101 looks the most balanced?  I felt the 2208 did.  and that is easy to get in an acrylic filter that is good enough for shooting.  As for the bug that's the only thing in my yard I found that fluoresced.  Under normal lights it is black and red.  When i turned the light on they popped up all over, far more than I thought were there.

Edited by aviator8, 17 April 2019 - 04:55 PM.

#25 aviator8

aviator8

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:24 PM

To give you an idea of the filters relative shades and color here is a picture of them  I took the test pictures using them in order from left to right.  The ones on top are just extras I cut from the gels.  The one you asked about that gave a bluish neon color is the second from the right and has an almost neon yellow color which was the one most unlike the others.  I bought gels purely based on their published spectral graphs and where they began to cut out blues.

IMG_8377.jpg

#26 germie

germie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cavediving and wrecks

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:14 AM

And have you tried blue filters in front of you strobes? And which ones? 

I have a UV diving light and a blue led diving light. The blue led with yellow filter gives much more intensity than the uv light.

But strobes are brighter than lights, so is there an option to turn your strobes into blue excitation strobes?

Loves cavediving and wreckdiving

#27 aviator8

aviator8

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:57 AM

I havent tried that as excitation filters for strobes were a good bit more expensive.

Edited by aviator8, 18 April 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#28 germie

germie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Cavediving and wrecks

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

Have tested a blue PMMA glass: does not work. Blue leds work with yellow filter. 

I can test it only at home as we don't have fluorescence here. But I have some line that shows if it works or not.

Loves cavediving and wreckdiving