8 replies to this topic

#1 Ahmed Yahya

Ahmed Yahya

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hi

i just bought a new pair of Mares avanti quattro. these are the first pair i own actually. how should i keep them between trips ? i read some advices to lay them flat and spray talc powder of them ? is there another way to keep them in good shape ?

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

I put shoe spacers in the pockets and store them flat.

37 years on ScubaPro jet fins!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

When the fins shipped from Mares, they had inserts in the foot pockets and tabs on the end of the fins to keep the shape. Two tabs for each fin. If the dive shop didn't give these to you, so back and ask for them. If you bought them on line, you're probably out of luck.

I used to work for a dive shop and sold Mares for years. We stored the fins flat with the pockets and tabs installed and always gave them to the customer with instructions on how to use them.

I own quattros (both FF and OH) and love them. Take care of them and you'll get many years from them. Mine are going on ten years with about 100 dives a year.

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2050 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:41 AM

Chuck them in your cupboard and pull them out when you need them. I've had pairs that have lasted decades and have done nothing at all to care for them. A decent pair are almost indestructible. I've got some Scubapro open-heel, split fins which may well outlive the cockroach. A pair of Mares full foot fins are more than 15 years old and must have done well over 1000 dives. 

BCDs and regs need a bit of care and attention (but even then not a massive amount) - the rest.....  :crazy:

And, believe it or not (after what I have written) I really do take good care of my stuff. Don't sweat about your fins, Ahmed.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:43 AM

I have the same fins, but to be honest, have never given "proper" storage a thought.  Sometimes they are in the gear bag in storage for weeks, some times flat on the floor somewhere, sometimes leaning against a wall.  It really doesn't seem to matter! They have not deformed in any way, still go on easily, and propel me through the water which is all i care about.

#6 Bob_W

Bob_W

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you store them in a bucket, or leaning against a wall, put the heels down. If you stand them on their toes, they may take on a pixie look (turned up toes).

Bob W

#7 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

Store them on the bottom of your dive gear bag to protect your more expensive BCD, wetsuit and regs.

The strap mounts will cark it before the rubber perishes- you'll probably get ten years odd out of them, why be so concerned over fins?

#8 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Im in the water year round and my 2 primary pairs of fins (full foot cressi garas and open heel mares avanti) are over 10 yrs old and just starting to show wear. I often don't even rinse them. Too busy taking care of my camera and bc/reg. Fins are the one thing you don't need to worry about.

#9 Ahmed Yahya

Ahmed Yahya

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

thanks for the great advice everyone . the avanti quattro are my second pair of fins actually. i had a pair of Beuchat close pocket fins t for 2 years but they got broken suddenly. i was snorkeling not even diving and both rims broke with no clear reason. thats why i am concerned about my new pair :)