• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hobodiver

hobodiver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

I can't seem to separate the port from my 8" ikelite dome. It doesn't seem to want to budge. Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to get it off? I'm thinking of maybe rinsing the joint with hot water for a while.

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

These things here work with care.

Don't jerk it as you can break the port, you just want sustained and gradually increasing pressure until it lets go.

Don't think warm water will do much to be honest.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

These things here work with care.

Don't jerk it as you can break the port, you just want sustained and gradually increasing pressure until it lets go.

Don't think warm water will do much to be honest.

Paul C

Yes, these work well, apart from on the short fisheye extension. (5510,5511, bayonet type). There is just not enough space to get it in. I have found that for these then with great care i have used some old inner tube to pad an adjustable wrench and slid this over the recess making sure not to touch the sealing surface, then whilst I grip the extension a friend slowly rotates the port...be very careful!!!

Also take care when assembling, as they are plastic threads it is very easy to cross thread them!
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#4 hobodiver

hobodiver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the tips! The strap wrench worked like a charm.

And I'll be extra careful with the fisheye extension that's going on in it's place!

#5 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

And I'll be extra careful with the fisheye extension that's going on in it's place!

For the fisheye I find you can still use the strap wrench - just use the rubber part of it to place flat against one of the port gaps so you have some padding for your thumbs when trying to undo it.

Otara

Edited by Otara, 16 October 2010 - 03:21 PM.

#6 zzz111

zzz111

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

The fisheye port is actually easier to remove, just leave the port/dome on the housing facing up, and turn the dome slowly counter clockwise. The housing will stop it at certain position then you can turn the dome out. Be careful though, so far I haven't broken my housing doing that.

#7 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

The fisheye port is actually easier to remove, just leave the port/dome on the housing facing up, and turn the dome slowly counter clockwise. The housing will stop it at certain position then you can turn the dome out. Be careful though, so far I haven't broken my housing doing that.

I really wouldn't advise this....you are putting a lot of load on the small screws than go into the front of the housing. I have just had to send my housing to ikelite as a stress fracture occurred at exactly this point and water started to slowly enter the housing.......you have been warned....
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#8 zzz111

zzz111

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

I really wouldn't advise this....you are putting a lot of load on the small screws than go into the front of the housing. I have just had to send my housing to ikelite as a stress fracture occurred at exactly this point and water started to slowly enter the housing.......you have been warned....

Agreed, I take it back. I do it at my own risk but it's really not something I should have recommended others to do.

#9 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Again just my take. I seldom tighten the dome fully, just the very slightest nip. The O ring is a piston type seal rather than a compression gasket type and would probably need 2-3 full rotations of the dome before it leaks.