New Seaflash 60d vs. Sea&Sea YS-D2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

I just saw the news from Seacam about their new flash

http://www.seacam.co...it/seaflash-60d

From the technical data: how would you rate them in comparsion to YS-D2? With 4400 Kelvin they should be warmer than YS-D2....

Edited by SMY, 18 April 2017 - 09:13 AM.

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Nikon 17-35mm, Zen 170 Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

I will be able to report on the 60D as soon as I get mine which has been on order for > 1 year. The longest "gestation period' yet for a Seacam product. The 60D shares many of the "pro" features of the previous Seacam D series underwater strobes none of which are shared by S&S strobes such as S6 fitting, battery indicator, super wide dome, and metal build. I have a couple of S&S 250 strobes as my basis of comparison. I have not even seen a YSD2.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

It will also be interesting to see how they compare to the new Retra flash that should be coming in June.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10706 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:37 AM

I saw the prototype at ADEX and reported on it on the front page.  They looked very nice!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

I saw the prototype at ADEX and reported on it on the front page.  They looked very nice!

Good to hear. The strobe model 60 development was mentioned back at DEMA 2015! See: http://wetpixel.com/...om-dema-2015/P3

Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#6 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2198 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

We will be testing the 60D as soon as there are units available for tests (as opposed to units that are going to those that have preordered!).

Harald says they will be 4500°K, which is the standard color temperature for Seacam strobes

Here is some more information and images:

http://wetpixel.com/...rt-boot-2017/P1

On a general note, the YS-D2 has suffered from some pretty serious problems. We had 4 fail on a trip last year...I would guess that Sea&Sea are busy sorting them out, and I know the failed strobes were replaced by the suppliers without any problems.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#7 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

Any news or comparisons?
Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Nikon 17-35mm, Zen 170 Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#8 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thank you for the reminder. There is a new J version of the S&S strobe to address the issues I believe. I got my 60Ds in July and got in a few shoots with both strobes for about a month when #1 failed. I went on shooting with just one strobe. #2 failed in October before #1 got back to me. I have a few shots of my set ups and results. First up is a 2-strobe shoot. It is at the confluence of small clearer water tributary with silty glacial water. The clear trib goes through these culverts first. People often stand on them to go fishing here for charr. I used TTL with flash exposure compensation. This was shot into the "sun" as the camera is pointed south. The strobes provided fill flash.

Attached Images

• _1DX0469.jpg
  • _X2_0401.jpg
  • _X2_0391.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology

#9 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

Now for shots done with just one strobe. These were done with the first strobe that failed. I was using just one because everything had to fit into a backpack as the location involved going upstream a bit and away from the road. The strobe failed while I was shooting the bright Coho Salmon you see in the pic. I swapped batteries as well as synch cord (I had packed in some back-ups) to no avail. Strobe powered up but did not fire.

These were TTL with as well. I was able to watch the digital display while doing the first shot as I was standing fairly close.  There is a one digit display showing how much of the output was used like .6 for 60% etc. This was part of the learning process for using the strobe model. The other was shot with the housing near the center of the stream where I could not see the display.

Attached Images

• _1DX1885.jpg
  • _1DX3478-3.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology

#10 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

Now for some shots with the second one that failed. #1 was with Seacam at the time. One shot is from a stained system. There are beaver ponds upstream of where I took the shot (as well as downstream). The other is from the day of failure #2. Same technical issues as #1. The setup shot shows an A on the display as it was in TTL mode. The tree branches in the front of the camera in the setup shot are the same ones in the underwater shot.

Attached Images

• _1DX4234.jpg
  • _1DX4296.jpg
  • _X2_2401.jpg

Oceanography & Limnology

#11 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Tom for the helpful information!

Regards, Sascha

#12 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Tom for the helpful information!

Regards, Sascha

Sasha, glad you found it useful. Sorry that it took a while. I have found the TTL useful but once I get more familiar with the strobes I will probably start using them more in manual mode especially when the strobe is very close to me as well as the fish like in the last setup shot.

My main disappointment with the 60D is the loss of battery management found in the 250D and 150D. This includes the battery level in 5 steps when the strobe is turned on as well as visible and audio alarms as the batteries run down. Nice to know that the batteries (battery pack) will need to be exchanged soon. Warning is better than sudden death. With a setup like that shown in the last pic it is possible to swap out batteries without removing the camera from the stream. I can manage this process better (pick a good time) with the warnings.

Looks like Adam will have a nice strobe comparison before too long. Not much of anything on the J version of the S&S strobe to answer your original question.

Tom

Oceanography & Limnology

#13 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Wow! A comparison of Z330, YS-D2, Retra and 60D would be marvelous!

@Adam: is there a chance for that?

Regards, Sascha

#14 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2198 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:34 AM

Hey Sascha,

So there is definitely going to be a comparison between Z330, Retra Flash and iDive Symbiosis SS2.

Seacam 60D will be reviewed at a later date..

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#15 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Hi Adam,

thanks a lot for the good news! I‘m looking forward to that!

Best regards, Sascha