305Mbps Bitrate!!!!

5 axis stabilisation

Gamma-Log

12 Stops of DR

Biggest downside thou is the lens - 27.3mm eqv. :(

http://cpn.canon-eur...corders/xc10.do

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:01 AM

There's a "quick look" review here:

http://www.newsshoot...our-cinema-eos/

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Well, let's see:

- The 5-axis is only available for 1080P, not 4K. (http://www.dpreview....ou-need-to-know)

- There is no rear dial, don't know if there is Custom Function button or not.

- If they adopt the custom white balance workflow like their dSLR, where you have to take a still of the white reference before setting a custom white balance, then it will be a pain!

- The CFast card is going to be super expensive! For 4K with that bitrate, a SSD solution would be more appropriate even though it would add a bit bulk.

- The 10x zoom range makes the lens barrel too long, not sure if there is any housing company want to touch it.

- The lens is fixed.

Overall, it's what I expected from Canon. I have been holding on to a few of my EF lens since my Canon 7D day, looks like they're going to continue to collect dust.

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Well that is complete rubbish then. Poor showing by Canon.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Richard, you made the right choice with the GH4, and I'm happy with my LX100 (cost less than half of the XC10 and have great lens!)....... all my Canon friends will be drooling over my 4K stuffs once they see it. I think Canon/Nikon will be at least 2 years behind Panasonic/Sony when come to video stuffs, unless you look at their EOS Cinema line, which cost a lot of $$$$!

Edited by kc_moses, 08 April 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

From the brief look. It looked like a winner, but the more news/reviews come out. Like you, it makes no sense this model now.

Quality wise I'm super happy with the GH4, nothing wrong with it (apart from a few things they could fix in F/W, but these a function issues, more than quality ones).

But some stabilisation would definitely help.

Canon really are slipping behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

#7 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

Biggest downside thou is the lens - 27.3mm eqv. :(

With a screw-on Canon wide-adapter lens behind a dome port, it should be wide enough for UW use.

With a flat port and a flip diopter, it might do macro well.

Coupled with a Shogun recorder, this could be a quality portable UW video system.

I wouldn't rule it out, just yet.

Regards
Peter

#8 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

I think Canon is in a dillema. They also launched a C300 MII which is only just heads above water in terms of up to date 4K specs. not when Sony has a Fs7 costing half the price of the Canon. The C300 is still the best selling broadcast & news camcorder Canon produced. They have yet to annouce the 5DMIII replacement. Rumor has it that is 4K enabled. I will not be surprised if the wizards at Magic Lantern get there with the Linux hack  before Canon's announcement.

This neither small or large camera seems to come from some 90s throwback bridge camera design. Had they just allow interchangeable lens mount say the EOS M this would make it more attractive..ie. allowing Meta bone speed booster adapter like the one for the Black Magic Pocket rocket wotsit camera.

One saving grace is that it could allow recording to external 4 recorder like the shogun at 10 bit 422.

As for if this thing could be used in drones.  Too big for stablising gimbal and no remote zoom control. A zoom like that with no wide angle...seriously not even close to competing with Go Pro H4 or the higher end GH4 and gimbal.

I think this latest release just show how unimaginative canon has become. Panasonic, Sony and even Samsung have cameras that could run rings around this camera. These are just my opinion of course and if there is redeeming features I have missed then let me know. I hope the image from the tiny one inch sensor is halfway decent when they actually available. The demo reel is bad. Cliiped footage  in the yellow colour highlights,

cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 08 April 2015 - 08:10 PM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:39 PM

But in my opinion, for wide angle underwater work, Canon still produces the most attractive colour rendering. I've not seen anything yet from a Panasonic GH2/3/4 that matches the colour balance and quality of, for example, Berkley White's 5D2/5D3 videos (https://youtu.be/5-LMD2g94Io and http://bit.ly/1yfcfgK), or Dustin Adamson's Canon videos ( http://goo.gl/FBPvz2).

I also feel Sony PXW-Z100 is superior to Panasonic for u/w colour, at least without extensive grading (https://youtu.be/fwkJtgVswgM).

Totally unscientific, subjective opinion based on what I've seen, not done. I haven't pushed my own GH4 yet.

Edited by Nick Hope, 08 April 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:26 AM

More info:

Interesting to see that 4K is 4:2:2 at 305Mbps - BUT its All-I :(

Hands on video:

The zoom lens, looks like it extends quite a lot - so a port / dome will be difficult to implement?

Edited by thetrickster, 09 April 2015 - 03:27 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

#11 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

This camera is both encouraging and disappointing at the same time. It is nice to see canon act interested in 4k, and some of the specs are impressive. However, this does not appear to be an answer for underwater shooters. The fixed lens is just not good....and the sensor is a huge disappointment.

Canon is driving me crazy. They have the technology for awesome 4k in a dslr, as shown with the canon 1dc. But that technology has now been produced by others, Sony/Panasonic, for a reasonable price. They have reduced the price of the 1dc but it is still ridiculous, and quite frankly doesn't even have great video features for a camera that is supposed to be for cinema. No focus peaking...really??

The rumors have it for 4k in the 5d 4, but the rumors also have it that it won't be in the 5d4....so who knows at this point. my 5d II has served me well for a long time now, and still produces great images, but I would like to move to 4k asap. And I agree with Nick, canons wb is imo, far ahead of others. I would love to stay with canon, my wife shoots canon, and is nice to share housings/lens/spares etc...it just works for us. If the 5d4 doesn't have 4k, I am not sure what I will do. Maybe retire from video, it's too expensive anyway...;). I am hoping the 5d line goes the way that the Sony a7 line is, which it appears that way.....so crossing my fingers. If canon could release an a7s type camera, with internal recording, I would love that, and preorder the thing.

Meanwhile, canon continues to frustrate most people with releases like this.....

My Video's

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

Like our Facebook page! - www.facebook.com/oceanshutter

#12 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

When I first saw this, I truly was impressed.

But to me it appears they are so scarred of eating into their Cinema EOS line of cameras (as who would spend 15k, then they can spend 3..) they are really hobbling their DSLRs, so there is distinct Video / Photo product lines.

Which now just isn't the case these days.

If it was APS-C, changeable lenses, IBIS in 4K - I think I would be very tempted, but they have missed the boat. Saying that, for some bizarre reason I can see them selling a bucket load of them to journalists and the like.

Regards, Richard

---

#13 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

The Canon XC10 will be a direct competition to the Panasonic FZ1000 in term of hardware spec, but at twice the price because of the 300mbps recording.

Canon market XC10 as a "B camera", and Canon certainly wouldn't want to release a prosumer product that will eat into their EOS Cinema line. It's the reason I have seen many professional have moved away from Canon. On land, the Metabone speedbooster allows professional use Canon lens on different body, so it's not a difficult switch. But for underwater, perhaps the community need to find a similar solution, whether is 3D printed gear or encourage housing manufacturer to release ports that let user use speedbooster adapter.

I know Canon has great color, but there were times I would rather have the detail of 4K then nicely colored but muddled 1080P footage, beside, color can be graded to personal taste.

#14 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

I am right in thinking the Canon Speedbooster you can buy now, has full Iris control from the camera (and power to the IS) so the only thing lacking is AF (which isn't a great shame)

Nauticam already do a N85 to N120 adaptor, so only need an extension tube for the Speedbooster thickness, and you can use the currently availble ports for the larger lenses.

I suppose the issue will be gaining access to the lens for zoom ring 'over' the speedbooster.

Regards, Richard

---

#15 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

I know Canon has great color, but there were times I would rather have the detail of 4K then nicely colored but muddled 1080P footage, beside, color can be graded to personal taste.

Not sure what muddled 1080p footage you are referring to, but footage from a 5d II or III isn't muddled.  4k does look nice sampled down to 1080p, but that doesn't make 1080p footage muddled.  To me, color is everything...It's what captivates the viewer, along with the subject being shot.  Detail is nice, but I don't think its lacking by any reasonable camera made in the last 5 years. 

My Video's

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

Like our Facebook page! - www.facebook.com/oceanshutter

#16 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

Not sure what muddled 1080p footage you are referring to, but footage from a 5d II or III isn't muddled.  4k does look nice sampled down to 1080p, but that doesn't make 1080p footage muddled.  To me, color is everything...It's what captivates the viewer, along with the subject being shot.  Detail is nice, but I don't think its lacking by any reasonable camera made in the last 5 years. 

I'm sorry, I need to clarify that. What I mean muddled is when watching 1080p footage on a 4K monitor. Just like SD/DVD get pixelated when watch back on a 1080p monitor.

Edited by kc_moses, 09 April 2015 - 08:32 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canon, 4k