• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Are people suggesting it's an either-or thing? Either you have great comfort but a sucky crew, or the best crew but a bad boat? What's wrong with wanting both? Id prefer not to settle for either. Id like a comfortable place to stay, and a knowledgeable crew.

Maybe comfort means different things to different people.

Well Cor, I think it's a very subjective thing, comfort. Having just done the staff trip, it clearly came out that different people have different expectations. Comfortable is definitely very subjective. Some people want the Aman and others think holiday inn is plenty enough and comfy.
Crew rapport is also subjective and very dependent on chemistry. The only thing that is absolutely important in knowledge of the area. So picking the guys who know the area well is probably the best bet.
I happen to know that Buck from Archipelago did his own surveys around the Banda Sea area in the last 3 years. Mark Heighes from the 7 Seas is a salty ol'cap'n whose been in the area for dog years and one of the pioneers of Indo liveaboard diving.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:59 PM

No one can say which boat is the best! We are all individual, unique and free thinking people with different opinions, needs and requirements. How about telling everyone what your requirements are and what you consider comfortable and required from a dive boat or resort.

There is no such thing as perfection, there’s always someone who will find something wrong or not to their personal liking.

Maybe someone can set up a Wetpixel poll to find out what the Wetpixel members are most looking for in a dive trip?

#23 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

having done the lower end liveaboards in different parts of the world years ago, i would personally not compromise on comfort. i dont need to be on a boat that has everything the burj al arab has, but i do have minimum requirements.
heres what i look for in no particular order.

good diver to guide ratio.
nitrox
good recent reviews of the boat. food, guides knowledge, itinerary and safety
age of the boat or date of last refit
en suite
good size cabin
good sized beds
good sized camera tables ( photographer friendly )
emergency exits if i am on a lower deck ( you will be suprised )
good supply of fresh water

going completely off topic - we have just returned from lembeh and chose to fly with singapore on the new A380. great seats, good entertainment, excellent food ( honestly excellent - fillet steak ). cost was around £1500. we could have flown with garuda £1000, crap seats, crap food, crap entertainment, older plane. both would have got us there to the same destination only with singapore i had no bad back, no need to find a toilet every 20 minutes and wasnt at all bored during the flight. i think that as long as you do your homework, paying an extra few £'s is worth it. obviously if you cant afford it then you have no choice and have to go the cheaper option. last year we went to mabul, the water bungalows looked great on the net, we wanted to do komodo the week after and would not have been able to afford it, so we comprimised our comfort at mabul and stayed at seaventures dive platform. we dived the same dive sites as people paying top £'s at mabul/kapalai. ok we didnt have a great room, but we had a great view of mabul - the guys paying top £ at mabul had a lovely room and a view of an old rusting oil rig.

once again sorry for going off topic

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com