#1 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

Hi!

First post here.

I want to get into some UW photography and have bben having a hard tine deciding what camera to buy. I will be making a trip soon.

I'm thinking on a compact camera since I'm a beginner and don't really have the money for the better systems.

I would love to have it all, or as close as I can come.

I have read a lot it seems that the best compact cameras for UW photos are the rx100 series and the g7x mk II. However the tg 5 is cheaper and seems to have great macro capabilities.

I would like to have a camera that takes good pictures out of water as well since it will not be exclusively a diving trip. I would like to be able to take good macro shots and be able to picture big things if the opportunity presents as well.

So what would you guys recommend? Tg5, rx100 (I, II, or III?), or g7x mk II?

Thank you very much.
Glad to be here 😊

Edited by Castillo, 11 August 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

Can't comment specifically on camera, but most photos UW are made with super wide and macro lenses. Generally compact cameras don't have that ability on their own. You get wet-mount add on lenses for the housing. There's a 67mm thread standard and many wide/macro wet lenses on the market.

Some compact cameras & housings handle these lenses better than others. Some wet lenses are much higher quality than others too. These would be the two most important factors to me. 

Browse these forums and I'm sure you'll get an impression of what many use. But I'd really suggest contacting and UW camera retail store as generally they are very passionate and helpful people. 

Cheers,

Chris

#3 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for replying!

Yeah I'll probably need some lenses as well. I just read that the tg5 takes great macro without a macro lens.

It's hard to decide but I will check the forums and contact some retailer near me s3e what they say.

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

If you have no experience in underwater photography, I would suggest starting out with a rented system, optimally with an instructor to show you the basics. Having at least a few camera dives under your belt is extremely helpful in figuring out what it is exactly that you're looking for.

#5 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:13 AM

It would probably help but I'm looking for a new camera to take on this trip, so I thought i might as well get the UW kit. There's been so many dives where I wish med I had a camera with me,I just want to be able to take some pretty pictures 😁

Edited by Castillo, 12 August 2018 - 06:14 AM.

#6 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

The tg5 is probably best for learning, though it has its limitations. Also the tg5 will have the least burden on your budget... The RX are what everybody uses, you can't go wrong and there are a lot of accessories, so it's good option, the Canon also, and is cheaper than the rx100v for example. Also there is another option - Panasonic lx15, though the number of accessories is a lot smaller, and the housings are also limited.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#7 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:11 AM

Thank you for replying.

I am currently leaning towards the g7x since its a bit chaper than the rx and I read that it's better for macro.

Independently of camera choice, how necessary will a strobe, macro and wide angle lens be? Which should be the most important accesory for the camera? It will be recreational diving in tropical waters.

#8 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

One big advantage of Sony RX100 over Canon compacts is phase-detection autofocus on models V, VA, and VI, which gives you considerably faster focus acquisition. RX100 VA and VI are expensive, but model V prices have been pushed down by their release - looking at Ebay US, I can see some that sold, fairly recently, for $650 or less, although I guess EU prices are higher. On the other hand, G7X II has better underwater white balance, which is helpful if you want to do video. Neither can do macro without add-on lenses. Between RX100 III and G7X II, the latter is probably a better option, at least underwater.

The first accessory that you'll want to add is a tray or a handle, plus a retractor to keep it from floating away. After that, arm(s) and an LED light or strobe(s), then either a macro lens or a wet fisheye, depending on which direction you want to go.

#9 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

One big advantage of Sony RX100 over Canon compacts is phase-detection autofocus on models V, VA, and VI, which gives you considerably faster focus acquisition. RX100 VA and VI are expensive, but model V prices have been pushed down by their release - looking at Ebay US, I can see some that sold, fairly recently, for $650 or less, although I guess EU prices are higher. On the other hand, G7X II has better underwater white balance, which is helpful if you want to do video. Neither can do macro without add-on lenses. Between RX100 III and G7X II, the latter is probably a better option, at least underwater.

The first accessory that you'll want to add is a tray or a handle, plus a retractor to keep it from floating away. After that, arm(s) and an LED light or strobe(s), then either a macro lens or a wet fisheye, depending on which direction you want to go.

So It would probably be the g7x for me. In the EU i see it for 480€ but the rx100 V is 950€, it's quite a difference for me atm, 

So a strobe and a macro lens would good to have then, do you have any suggestions for something good that doesn't cost too much?

Thanks again, everyone's been very helpful :)

#10 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for replying.

I am currently leaning towards the g7x since its a bit chaper than the rx and I read that it's better for macro.

Independently of camera choice, how necessary will a strobe, macro and wide angle lens be? Which should be the most important accesory for the camera? It will be recreational diving in tropical waters.

I think you can do fine without a wet lens with most of the compacts if you just want some nice photos, but I don't think you can skip the external light source. I prefer strobes because many critters avoid the light of constant video lights. It takes a bit more effort to really understand flash exposure, but in my opinion it's worth it.

#11 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

for a strobe look at the INON S2000, very compact and will work well on a locline arm saving$.  I'd skip the wet lens for now it'll take a few dives getting used to using the camera and adding complications like a wet lens won't help.  Given the prices I would certainly suggest a Canon G7X.   If you look at Backscatter's best compats page, you will also see a left field contender in the Panasonic LX10.     https://www.backscat...Compact-Cameras

The limitation on the LX10 is partly housing choice.  Have you thought about which housing?   The Nauticam housings are great but more $$.  The Fantasea housings are very good by all accounts and they have housings for the G7X and Sony RX series.  For Panasonic its either Ikeite or Nauticam.  Housing availability locally and cost may be deciding factors.  Going to a store to buy is a good idea if possible to have someone show you how to prepare the o-rings - very important to get that right.

Edited by ChrisRoss, 12 August 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#12 Castillo

Castillo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:33 PM

for a strobe look at the INON S2000, very compact and will work well on a locline arm saving$.  I'd skip the wet lens for now it'll take a few dives getting used to using the camera and adding complications like a wet lens won't help.  Given the prices I would certainly suggest a Canon G7X.   If you look at Backscatter's best compats page, you will also see a left field contender in the Panasonic LX10.     https://www.backscat...Compact-Cameras

The limitation on the LX10 is partly housing choice.  Have you thought about which housing?   The Nauticam housings are great but more $$.  The Fantasea housings are very good by all accounts and they have housings for the G7X and Sony RX series.  For Panasonic its either Ikeite or Nauticam.  Housing availability locally and cost may be deciding factors.  Going to a store to buy is a good idea if possible to have someone show you how to prepare the o-rings - very important to get that right.

Yes, it seems like a strobe would be the most important to get first, I will check out your suggestion.

I was thinking about a fantasea housing for the Canon. There is a shop where I was thinking of buying so I will be sure to let them teach me about how not to kill the camera on my first dive 😂

This is going to be expensive haha.

Thanks for the thorough reply 😁

Edited by Castillo, 12 August 2018 - 11:33 PM.

#13 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:45 AM

Meikon housing for G7X II is perfectly adequate, at less than half the cost of Fantasea.