2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Agustin

Daniel Agustin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

I've looked around to see if there was a topic open already on this subject, but I wasn't able to find anything.

As a result of serendipity I was able to beging practicing UW photography using the same camera model I had been using on land for a long time: Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III. By chance I run into an impeccable Sea & Sea housing for it. So I've been playing and experimenting with the 1Ds. However, I decided to stick to crop sensor and I sold my two bodies. Now I'm enjoying a 7D Mk II. I have the camera, a Tokina wild angle, and a 60mm macro, and an Aquatica housing. All my equipment is Sea & Sea. I am trying to sell the MDX-PRO MK III housing, but I don't know if I should get rid of everything (rings, ports, extension, gears, etc.) and look into replacing it with Aquatica. I know there are adapters that allow to use S&S ports in an Aquatica housing, but I've no idea if it's recommended. Also, selling equipment is usually a bad business for the seller, so if I don't have to sell these parts, even better. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Keep the S&S stuff with the Aquatica housing? Or replace it with Aquatica parts? Thank you all for your help.

Edited by Daniel Agustin, 25 August 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Aquatica themselves make an adapter for S&S ports and I doubt they would if it was a bad idea.

Of course Aquatica ports would be best. 

Macro ports are simple. Using an adapter with the S&S macro port shouldn't be an issue. 

Domes are more challenging. Depends on your dome and lens - the concern being that the lens is lined up correctly in the dome with the adapter. I figure it would change the required extension ring length. You should email Aquatica or a dealer like Backscatter to figure those details. They're very helpful. 

But sometimes selling an entire housing package could be best. Whoever might want your 1DsMkIII housing may also want ports. 

If money isn't a huge issue, I'd say just go with Aquatica ports. That way everything will gel perfectly together. Aquatica's Megadome is awesome, especially if you want to use a rectilinear (non-fisheye) wide angle. 

Cheers,

Chris

#3 Daniel Agustin

Daniel Agustin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

Thank you Chris, your feedback is very helpful.

I've thought about it, but by selling my S&S parts I'm afraid I'm going to lose lots of money. By the time I'd already purchased my Aquatica housing, my siblings came up with a birthday surprise, and got me brand new S&S dome port, extension ring, macro port, gears, and all the fixtures. Even though I did not pay for them, and I have never used them (!) I have the feeling I would have to put some extra money on top of whatever I get for the S&S parts in order to buy Aquatica. I think I should also consider that the S&S focus and zoom gears will not work with the Aquatica housing... I need to think it through. Thank you!

Un abrazo,

Daniel