Photo
- - - - -

The new Mini Vivid 5 Vacuum Leak Detector.

Vacuum Leak Detector Vivid 5 Vacuum Leak Detector Leak Detector

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

The new Mini Vivid 5 Vacuum Leak Detector.​

A housing leak detector is essential to prevent housing floods and for this I have relied on the standard Vivid V5 vacuum leak detector for two years; it has saved me from some embarrassing wet moments.  After learning about Miso's new creation, the mini version of the Vivid 5, I have installed one in my Subal housing.

Description:
The Mini Vivid 5 unit is 24 mm long, almost half the length of the standard detector. It consists of:
1. An external unit with three parts: a connector which is screwed into a bulkhead port and contains the electronics; a cylindrical body with the vacuum valve; and a screw-on cap.  
2. An internal unit for the battery holder, mounted inside the housing. 
Built-in wires with male to female plugs connect both units.

Photo #1 shows the disassembled detectors, with the standard Leak Detector above, and the new mini unit below.
Photos 2 and 3 show the installed mini and standard detectors,
Photo 4 is of the coin battery holder for the mini detector, mounted inside a housing. 
Photo 5 shows the three types of pumps used to create a housing vacuum: 
  top: a pistol grip pump with built-in vacuum manometer,  
  middle: the Vivid syringe-type manual pump, and 
  bottom: the Vivid electric pump with an internal 9V battery. I find this electric pump easiest to use.
Installation:
After lightly lubricating the O ring with silicon grease, I threaded the connecting wire through an M14 bulkhead port, screwed the detector's base firmly into the port,  and screwed the detector's body into its base.
The internal unit with the battery holder I mounted on the upper inside of the housing, and connected the two wires.

Testing:
I closed my housing and pumped a vacuum until the detector's LED light was blinking green. The next day the mini Leak Detector was still blinking green, telling me the housing remained sealed, nice and water proof.

Allow me to add that I also keep my housing's built-in humidity detector with its alarm and LED flashing red light in fully working condition, with a fresh battery and frequent testing.

4.JPG 5.JPG

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 19 April 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:59 PM

A nice presentation!

Thank you Eli.

:clapping:

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 tomhauburn1

tomhauburn1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

I wonder if this would work on the stock sensor in a Aquatica Nikon D7000 body?  It has a sensor installed but not sure if it works with vacuum?

#4 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

Missing some photos?

#5 pbalves

pbalves

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

If the sensor is the AQUATICA SURVEYOR, it has the vacuum sensor included. In that case you just need a vacuum valve and a pump. You do not need the electronics (witch means saving). Miso has the solution for you. I have an Aquatica Housing (Canon 7D mkII) and installed the valve from Miso.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vacuum Leak Detector, Vivid 5 Vacuum Leak Detector, Leak Detector