• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)
    Now Senior Editor at Undercurrent.org

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Around ten years ago I posted on these forums extolling the virtues of vacuum leak tests. At that time only one manufacturer offered that feature (Hugyfot) and I attracted the ire of those who owned housings from different manufacturers, insisting their housings didn't leak so didn't need them.

It got nasty when I was accused of being in the pay of Hugyfot, or at least getting a housing for no charge. It even resulted with me sending copies of the invoice for my housing to an administrator here. Now, I'm not saying that no others have been sponsored with free housings from other manufacturers (selling them afterwards for a tidy profit) but now that vacuum leak tests have become appreciated and are installed on many different makes of housing so that they are almost commonplace, it would have been nice to have got an apology!

Edited by John Bantin, 27 February 2017 - 11:54 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

Did you ever get your apology John?

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2220 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Hi John,

Not to go over old ground....

The actual issue was that you admitted deliberately misinforming at least one other Wetpixel member by telling him that that your Hugyfot housings had been supplied for free. You said that you did so "in order to wind him up." 

I quote: 

"I told Alex Tattersall (the importer for Nauticam in the UK) that Hugyfot gave me a housing because we like to wind him up. It has become a running joke between Saeed Rashid (a close friend of his) and me."

You then went on to state that the issue was because we do not understanding irony, so I replied on 14 March 2013:

"To be frank, I am not sure who should be apologizing to who. You stating to several other community members that you received your housings for free (when this was not true) is the root cause of the issue. When the moderators called your integrity into question, it was because they believed this to be the case.

You've been around long enough to be aware of the effect that anything you say can have.

Against all that, I know that the Wetpixel community values your input. I know I certainly do. So in the interests of moving forward, I apologise on behalf of us "staff" for getting it wrong and sincerely hope that we can put it all behind us now."

Would you like another apology?

Just to keep things factually correct, I never saw an invoice. Of course, you may have sent it to one of the other admins, but it was not reported at the time within the admin team. 

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

..... now that vacuum leak tests have become appreciated and are installed on many different makes of housing so that they are almost commonplace, it would have been nice to have got an apology!

Almost commonplace? I still haven't seen one in use. And nobody has asked me to supply one. You must be using 'almost' in a different way than I am :huh:.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife