6 replies to this topic

#1 nschor

nschor

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

I'm currently using a compact canon sx210 w/Ikelite housing and a single YS-D1 strobe for my uw photography.

I have decided to buy a Nauticam housing for my Oly em10 mark iii, which has these lenses:

1. Oly 25mm 
  2. Oly 60mm
  3. Oly 14-42 II R
  4. Oly 40-150

My original plan was to buy the Oly 9-18mm with its port as WA and later (after saving some more money) buying the port for the 60mm.

A friend suggested me to purchase the WWL-1 and use it with my 14-42 lens.

I also saw in the forums some recommendation about the Panasonic 7-14.

I'll be happy to hear your recommendation/thoughts about these options.

Thanks,

Nadav

Edited by nschor, 09 July 2018 - 02:35 PM.

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

The Panasonic 7-14 is a nice little lens.  To get the best out of it you need the right dome port.  The Zen 170mm port is the one most recommended.  If you use the type II port you can also use the 12-40 Oly lens in that port.   If you get the N120 port it is even more versatile as with different extensions as well as those lenses mentioned above it will also take the Pany 8-18 and Oly 7-14.  If you source this adapter:   https://www.unterwasserkamera.at/shop/catalog/de/product_info.php?info=p6901_d-d-nauticam-n85---n120-portadapter-30mm.html then you can use the Olympus fisheye in that port.

Here is the Zen port chart:  http://www.jaredpars...p/nauticam-n85/

#3 nschor

nschor

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:54 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look

#4 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

I am undecided on the WWL.  Need to test it some more.  As far as traditional wa lenses, if you can manage the $, I would skip the 9-18 and look at the 7-14 or 8-18 in an appropriate dome.

#5 JMartel

JMartel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

Skip the 9-18mm. Not a good lens at all. Sold mine pretty quickly after getting it. I shoot with the Panasonic 7-14mm and the Olympus 8mm fisheye.

I'd do one of the following:

WWL for your 14-42mm (Friend that works at Bluewater likes this combo)

Olympus or Panasonic 8mm fisheye

Olympus or Panasonic 7-14mm

Panasonic 8-18mm.

If you are doing wide angle reef scenes and close focus wide angle shots, get one of the 8mm fisheye lenses or the WWL-1. If you are doing big animal stuff, go with one of the 7-14mm or the 8-18mm.

Edited by JMartel, 13 July 2018 - 05:40 AM.

#6 smk82

smk82

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:43 AM

I've been diving until recently using the oly 9-18mm lens and port; and within its limitations its not a bad lens; true its not as crisp as some of the newer ones on the market but its at a decent price point and not as expensive as the 8mm fisheyes or the 7-14mm. Work within your budget! I've recently purchased a secondhand fisheye lens myself and look forward to taking it in for its inaugural dive and seeing how it compares.

#7 AForns

AForns

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have the WWL and have been using most of the time.   Using the 8mm fisheye mostly for wrecks.

Couple of reason for the usage, image quality and versatility.   Finding amazing having 130 degree coverage and be able to turn around and shoot Xmas tree worm.

Worth checking.   Not sure if you would be able to rent or borrow one?

al