Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using Sea&Sea Buoyancy Handle (Plastic)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

So...

I was searching online for some options on long arms for WA and for whatever reason

This came up in my search:

2579-4-bouyancyhandle.jpg

http://www.seaandsea.../024.html#46124

Yes, looks a bit silly (someone no doubt gonna try and take a call on it...) but it did get my thinking....

The yellow variant

46124_ph_detail.jpg

is perfect for big rigs where you want to hand off your equipment to boat handlers and I'm always trying to point to a part they can take it from me with, with this handle, its large, bright and can't be missed.

Before I spend £150 on one (yes crazy price eh) - wondering if anyone is using one, had one etc?

Edited by thetrickster, 07 April 2018 - 07:10 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:41 AM

I, too, like the idea of a handle like this, but that price is crazy.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:25 AM

I, too, like the idea of a handle like this, but that price is crazy.

Yeah, I've found it online in Taiwan very cheap 70e (DiverVision.com - which I've used before), but the import duties (and shipping) when it arrives, make it just as expensive.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2018 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

Crikey, like many on this forum, I love lots of bits of kit, but even by camera/dive standards that really is a crazy price for a chunk of plastic.

It's so easy too to make your own handle with a bit of Paracord weaving - instructions are on YouTube etc. You can make whatever length you want with whatever colours you fancy. Heck, make lots of them and be able to choose one to match your mood, the tone of the ocean, the trim on your BCD.......

The Paracord plus two stainless steel shackles costs about $20. I reckon it took me about 20 minutes to make one and, believe me, I'm no Boy Scout knotter.  :crazy:  My handle is a shade of yellow that matches the Subal handle perfectly. And it's very easy for boat crew to grab.

And, I learnt how to knot in the process.....

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Crikey, like many on this forum, I love lots of bits of kit, but even by camera/dive standards that really is a crazy price for a chunk of plastic.

It's so easy too to make your own handle with a bit of Paracord weaving - instructions are on YouTube etc. You can make whatever length you want with whatever colours you fancy. Heck, make lots of them and be able to choose one to match your mood, the tone of the ocean, the trim on your BCD.......

The Paracord plus two stainless steel shackles costs about $20. I reckon it took me about 20 minutes to make one and, believe me, I'm no Boy Scout knotter.  :crazy:  My handle is a shade of yellow that matches the Subal handle perfectly. And it's very easy for boat crew to grab.

And, I learnt how to knot in the process.....

Agreed on pricing, admit it - if it was $20 you would be all over it..hehehe

As to making stuff, I can design stuff, 3d print stuff, but actually do anything creative with my hands - forget it! LOL

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2018 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

Richard, believe me, if I can weave a handle, anyone can!

If it was $20 would I be all over it? Hmmmmm   :crazy:  

Actually I have to sell a whole stack of stuff before I can buy even a o-ring....... 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

Hi,
i simply use a double sided piston clip, like you get it with a finger spool / reel, to clip my two strobe arms together. Simply clip it into both fixing screws, thats it. I like the stainless version, because thats easy to see for the boat crew.
And second use is to fix the neopren port cap, for the fisheyedome, so i can take off the protection after jumping / handling in, and attach it before the rig goes out of the water without loosing it. And at least you can use it to fix / clip the rig to your jacket if needed.
Ceap and helpfull.
Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125, 09 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#8 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

In the end (due to lift requirements - 280g not enough for the space it takes up)

I’ve gone for two 90dia nauticam carbon aluminium floats with a long clamp in between and replaced the thumb adjuster for a nut so its more handle like...

Still like the idea of some colour mind to attract people’s attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#9 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

In the end (due to lift requirements - 280g not enough for the space it takes up)
I’ve gone for two 90dia nauticam carbon aluminium floats with a long clamp in between and replaced the thumb adjuster for a nut so its more handle like...
Still like the idea of some colour mind to attract people’s attention.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to see how that looks, do you have any pics?

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:23 AM

Curious to see how that looks, do you have any pics?

Will post up some photos once its all together :)

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#11 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

If you want something that float to help lift your gear, see if can use bottle like this as handle:

stock-photo-aluminum-bottle-water-isolat

I saw DIY float using the aluminum bottle and it won't bend even down to 120 ft. It you be double duty as hydration bottle when you travel on the road/airport.

If just want paracord handle, I do just like Tim suggested to make my own, except I use glow in the dark paracord. so when I get into deep water, night dive etc, the handle glow. (the handle get to charge under the sun while doing surface interval)

#12 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

So...

I was searching online for some options on long arms for WA and for whatever reason

This came up in my search:

attachicon.gif2579-4-bouyancyhandle.jpg

http://www.seaandsea.../024.html#46124

Yes, looks a bit silly (someone no doubt gonna try and take a call on it...) but it did get my thinking....

The yellow variant
attachicon.gif46124_ph_detail.jpg
is perfect for big rigs where you want to hand off your equipment to boat handlers and I'm always trying to point to a part they can take it from me with, with this handle, its large, bright and can't be missed.

Before I spend £150 on one (yes crazy price eh) - wondering if anyone is using one, had one etc?

This looks okay but only offers 0.6 lbs of buoyancy. I'm currently using using a ultralight arm with 4x floats and doubles as a handle as well. Puts buoyancy where its needed but covers up the hotshoe mount.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

#13 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Hi,
i use a pair of Inon Flaot arms ML after the handles, and then a pair of ULCS arms with 3 floating elements before the strobes.
That workes fine with my Hugyfot housing, and the long macro port or the FE port. Flips a bit with the second one, but thas ok.
Still a tiny bit negative, but thats fine if you stay 3 times an hour every day while your trip.
Strobes are either Z 240s in asia, or S&S 250s in mediterian sea. Then a bit more negative ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

#14 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Hand made from  Divinycell foam.

Folds flat with standard ultralite clamps.

Cut to neural float Subal/NikonD500/2xInon 240z strobes.

Cost - $US20, less clamps..4.jpg 5.jpg

Edited by okuma, 14 May 2018 - 07:20 PM.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.