• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattmarinegreen

mattmarinegreen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:17 AM

Hi all,I am new to underwater slr photography. I have bought a 5d seacam housing, 2 x nikonos strobes, one macro port and a super dome. I want one box for all to transport it around and one for the dive boat. Can anyone recommend a hard protective case that will fit it all in? And can anyone recommend a boat container that I can stow it in whilst on board. Thank you!!

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2114 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

Hi Matt

There are reams and reams of posts about what bag/box/cooler to use for moving gear around. It could almost be the subject of a PhD study. Much depends on how much gear you have, how much more you will buy (and, of yes, you will buy more), how you travel (air/road/sea etc), how much baggage allowance is permitted, how good you are a blagging your cabin baggage allowance from the usual 7-ish kgs to the usual filled camera box of around 15kgs...

Quite popular are Pelican cases: seriously robust, dust and water proof, built to protect against nuclear war, zombies and hell-freezing over. Expensive, heavy, configurable - and will last at least one Earth life time. Have a look at the Pelican 1510: a wheely case which can be filled with either foam (which you cut to suit) or a liner which has moveable dividers and can be constantly reconfigured (and provides endless hours of fun). The good thing about the 1510 is that it meets airline cabin baggage limits. You can get a fair bit of stuff in it (housing, strobes, maybe a domeport, flat port, usual bits n'bobs); and you can haul your treasured possession into the plane cabin with you. And I find it good on dive boats: it provides secure storage.

The only drawback of the Pelican cases is their weight. They are heavy and really eat into a baggage allowance. I think the 1510 is about 4kgs. If you check out Pelican online you will find all the details. They are a US company but have a subsidiary near Glossop called Peli.

There are other similar cases made by Storm (who I think are now owned by Pelican) and one or two others around. They are all a bit same, same. 

After that, if you really want something on a boat/RIB to protect your gear and serve as a DIY rinse tank (always useful), many use a large cooler bag. Works a charm. But another thing to lug with you.

Hope this helps...... 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 mattmarinegreen

mattmarinegreen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:15 AM

That's amazing tim thank you very much indeed!

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2114 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

My pleasure. I think the Pelican cases are great and can heartily recommend them. They'd be even better if they weighed a bits less, but I guess you can't have everything!

Good luck with it, Matt. If it helps, the quest for the perfect travel case is a bit like the holy grail. You can get close but never get to find it.....

Tim
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

#5 coinee

coinee

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

Peli is a bit expensive for my taste, so I went with a 'Seahorse' instead and I'm very happy with it: http://www.seahorsecases.com/

Fabian Schorp

Flickr: https://www.flickr.c.../129488282@N06/

Nikon D750, NA-D750, 105mm macro, 16-35mm, Sigma 15mm fisheye, Dual YS250 Pro

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

I have a Pelicase for my Rebreather, but i used it before for my Ikelite D90 rig.
As already mentioned,
- Pelicase are very sturdy but very heavy
- Seahorse cases are similar to Pelicase but less expensive
- I use a hard cooler to bring my rig on the boat, the camera is wrapped in a thick, fluffy towel, hard coolers can be filled with water

If i fly somewhere, i buy the cheapest one and before i fly home i gift it to a fellow photographer or the boat crew

During my frequent travels i pack my gear as follows:

one 50 lbs XL Delsey trolley case containing:
- 1 small 1400 Pelicase containing: 1 Hugyfot D800 housing filled with spare parts and tools, tray, arms, floats, macro port
- my dive gear (fins, regulator, travel bcd, mask)

one 50 lbs normal size hard trolley case containing:
clothing, wet suit, spare parts, gifts

one 35 lbs Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack (carry-on)

- 1 D800 body, 15mm FE, 28-70mm, 105mm, 70-200mm, 1 SB800 strobe
- 2 Inon Z-240 strobes
- 1 Hugyfot glass minidome
- 1 Nauticam LX-100 housing

- 2 1 GB external hard disks, chargers for phones, batteries, video light, more spare parts

- 1 HP ZBook 17'' + charger

One 20 lbs reporter/fishing vest

- LX-100 camera, wallet, documents, tickets, glasses

- Samsung Tab 10.1

If i travel in Europe with carry on weight limit (20-30 lbs) is wear cargo pocket pants
- i carry the heavy prime Lenses in the pants and in the vest (at least until i am inside the plane...)

I am aware that i look like a suicide bomber with all this gear on my body, but ....

If you would like to avoid to travel like me, get a big roller Peli/seahorse case and ship your expensive gear inside.

Weight everything before you buy the case so that pelicase+Rig wll not exceed the 50lbs rule, otherwise you need to pay "expensive" overweight fees

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 03 May 2015 - 07:29 AM.

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2114 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

Chris' post reminds me of one thing: on my last few trips I've bought a cheap laundry basket, the rectangular type about 12" deep, from a hardware store and used that to carry my system around the boat or to dive sites (very good on Bonaire).

At the end of the trip I gift it to the dive centre. They usually cost about $5-$6 and are a great way of moving gear and carrying in a car to/from the dive site. 

Edited by TimG, 03 May 2015 - 10:20 AM.

Tim

#8 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Tim,

that's a good solution too!
Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case, advice, protection