• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 waja

waja

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

I'm going to try using a 4" dome on my next trip and wonder if there is any preference between the Zen DP-100-ACR and the Aquatica 18410 Mini Dome 100?

The Aquatica Mini Dome requires the 48463 Port Extension and the shade is not removable.

Does the Zen DP-100-ACR require a separate port extension?

Also, the shade is removable on the Zen and that has me leaning toward the Zen.

Thanks for any insight.

Rick
Canon EOS 5D Mk III; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 8-15mm
Aquatica A5Dsr housing Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro Stix Arms
www.ricklevesque.com/

#22 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2227 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

Hi Waja

Whether or not you need an EXR depends on the lens you are using. I found with the Tokina 10-17 I needed a 13mm EXR. But with a Nikkor 10.5 I didn't need one.

I never removed the shade on my Zen. I'm not sure I even realised that was feasible. You've got me wondering why you would.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#23 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2224 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:13 AM

If you plan to use your 8-15mm at the 8mm end, you will need to remove the shade. The shade will vignette when you are shooting full circular fisheye.

Aquatica do offer a version of their port (by order) that has the shade machined off. 

My understanding is that the Zen DP-100-ACR does not need an extension. I have used it with another housing brand and it did not.

Unless someone comes along who has personal experience of using this lens/port combination, I would follow the advice of your local dealer. 

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#24 Matti

Matti

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:21 AM

I use the aquatica mini dome which I removed the shade petals with a dremel ( removed the glass first). I have used the port with the 8-15 and also with 15 mm fisheye (also with kenkco 1.5x teleconverter). I can't recall which extension I use with the 8-15mm but I did write to aquatica to correct there original option.

Edited by Matti, 14 May 2016 - 04:22 AM.

#25 waja

waja

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'm planning on using the Canon 8-15mm.  I missed the option to have Aquatica remove the shade (or do it myself). However, with the Zen not needing an extension and thus one less seal along with the removable (and re-attachable) shade has me going in that direction. Time to see if updating the flat port at this time also makes sense.

Thanks all.

Rick
Canon EOS 5D Mk III; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 8-15mm
Aquatica A5Dsr housing Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro Stix Arms
www.ricklevesque.com/