4 replies to this topic

#1 Laval

Laval

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:UW videography: macro and wide angle

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:18 PM

In April 2018, I was very fortunate to participate in the Ray of Hope Expedition to the Revillagigedos Islands, off the coast of Mexico. The expedition was organized by Dr. Andrea Marshall – a National Geographic Explorer and the ‘Queen of Mantas'.

Here is a link to my 4-min video-report about this trip: https://youtu.be/dJKKAWb0Efs

This is my first video after moving from iMovie to Final Cut Pro.

Camera: Sony A7Rii, Housing Ikelite, lens 28mm with fisheye.

I did not use lights, and did not use any filters.

I will appreciate your constructive criticism.

Thank you.

#2 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

Some very nice shots. Well done!  

This is perfectly watchable as-is, but I assume you took the shots pretty much as they came out of the camera?  The shots look very blue, so I'd try to adjust the white balance a bit in post. Some blown out highlights on the white belly of the mantas, but I know their skin is very reflective and this happens easily.  Again, I'd try to play a bit with the exposure in the midtones and highlights in FCPX.

Of course it always depends how much time you want spend getting a clip out, but if your looking for constructive comments, these two points may be worth playing with.

NB: I love how that morey eal spit out that sea urchin :-)

Edited by bubffm, 11 September 2018 - 10:26 AM.

#3 Kire70

Kire70

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

Bring the saturation of the blues down a bit and it will give it a more natural look. Nice video!

#4 Laval

Laval

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Some very nice shots. Well done!  

This is perfectly watchable as-is, but I assume you took the shots pretty much as they came out of the camera?  The shots look very blue, so I'd try to adjust the white balance a bit in post. Some blown out highlights on the white belly of the mantas, but I know their skin is very reflective and this happens easily.  Again, I'd try to play a bit with the exposure in the midtones and highlights in FCPX.

Of course it always depends how much time you want spend getting a clip out, but if your looking for constructive comments, these two points may be worth playing with.

NB: I love how that morey eal spit out that sea urchin :-)

Many thanks, bubffm. I appreciate your comments. I will try to play with the footage as per your recommendations.

#5 Laval

Laval

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

Bring the saturation of the blues down a bit and it will give it a more natural look. Nice video!

Hey Kire70.  I appreciate your comment and advise.  I will try adjusting the saturation.  By the way, could you recommend any tutorials for underwater video editing? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video, final cut pro, sony a7rii, socorro, queen of mantas