5 replies to this topic

#1 markw

markw

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

Hi everyone,

We are heading to the Galapagos in June and plan on doing some land based travelling after the dive trip. Rather than deal with diving gear while travelling it would be good to ship it home (Australia). Has anyone done this and if so, how did you organise it (economically)?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mark

#2 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

This sounds very inconvenient and pricey imo

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

What we did was to book one night into an hotel at the start of the land part and then went back to the same towards the end of the trip, you leave the dive gear there whilst you travel

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 markw

markw

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Thanks, that would work for a round trip but to make things more interesting, we won't be returning to the same places...

#5 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I shipped gear home (Australia) from France with French Post and it nearly made it home before I did. I've also shipped gear from Canada (where I landed) to Florida (where I was going diving after a couple of weeks of backpacking around South America). Flying without the gear was much easier in both cases.

Things to consider:

- Insurance in case the postal services loses the whole lot

- Dangerous goods. They might not want to ship knives, batteries, etc, and they might not tell you until you get there.

- Customs. Be clear on the goods description that this is your own excess baggage being shipped home, otherwise you might end up with 10% GST and 5% import duty applied at the Australian end.

- Quarantine. Make sure everything is clean and dry. If AQIS hold it up for inspection and washing, you won't get it back for six months or so.

- Timing. Make sure they don't put it on a boat, cause then you won't see it for 6 months or so.

- Packing. Mine was in heavy duty plastic tubs both times and traveled well.

Aside from that I have no idea what the postal options are in Ecuador. Good luck with it!

#6 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Will it be cheaper to rent gear?