• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bob_W

Bob_W

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

There is a discussion in the 'Unrequited Gear Lust' forum (http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=60185) that is especially pertinent to folks here using 45 degree viewfinders on their rigs. The electronic viewfinders on mirrorless cameras are susceptible to being damaged if left in the sun. Like burning a leaf with a magnifying glass. The discussion talks about using a Butler Creek rifle scope cap to protect the optics. The caps flip up for use, then down to protect. The size for the Nauticam 45 VF appears to be 39/30390 and is available from various sources for $8.00 to $20.00.

I cross-posted this here because I rarely view the Gear Lust forum and just happened to stumble on this subject. I thought it would be of benefit to other Mirrorless followers that also usually skip the Gear Lust thread.

Bob W

#2 Bob_W

Bob_W

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

I just received a 39 scope cap. It is NOT the correct size. The outside dimension of my 45 VF, with the rubber eye piece, is 53mm. It looks like size 33 (30330) is more appropriate. Shame on me for not measuring first. :wacko:

Bob W

#3 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Based on the previous thread, I just received today the size 34 (not 33 or 39) and it fits perfectly. I chose that size after carefully measuring with a digital caliper.

I don't see how a 33 (1.4mm smaller in diameter) could be pushed over the rubber eyepiece. Mine was Amazon Prime, $8.69, 2-day delivery.

#4 rollin

rollin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Aquatic ecology, wildlife photography

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:16 AM

I ordered the 30340, this is size 34, and the fit is very snug. Size 33 will be to small for sure.

I ordered the multiflex as well in the same size (BC33334= 33-34), it is too small and on top of that it won't stay closed

I guess you can use some rubber band if you ordered the 39

Just wondering, is it possible the older viewfinders have a larger diameter.

Edited by rollin, 29 August 2017 - 04:24 AM.

#5 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

I got a Butler Creek scope cover for my Subal 180 VF finder and it fits perfectly.  Thank you for the suggestion.

#6 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

My Butler Creek was just used for a month in Indonesia, and the metal hinge pin has rusted. it was rinsed after each dive, but I guess there was just too much bottom time in salt water.