11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

After giving our friends at Sea & Sea so much grief for their less than timely marketing I thought it only fair to bring this to your attention. They have put out an update to the 2008 Catalog Linked here. D3/3X, D300, Mrk III, and the 40D are covered. TTL converters for the YS250 are also pictured. Enjoy :wacko:

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#2 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

After giving our friends at Sea & Sea so much grief for their less than timely marketing I thought it only fair to bring this to your attention. They have put out an update to the 2008 Catalog Linked here. D3/3X, D300, Mrk III, and the 40D are covered. TTL converters for the YS250 are also pictured. Enjoy :wacko:

Steve

Interesting that the they write "for the Nikon D3/D3x". It has been pretty obvious that something high MP in FX is coming out in a near future, but I haven't seen anything official from Nikon yet?

/c

Edited by Christian K, 12 February 2008 - 02:38 AM.

#3 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi Guys,
I notice in the latest x-ray mag (#21) that Sony have just released a 24.81 effective mega-pixel CMOS full frame chip...
Aren't the new Nikons running CMOS sensors?
Anyway, seems that there is still plenty of activity in develloping the mega pixel race...

Bruce...

#4 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:43 AM

Hi Guys,
I notice in the latest x-ray mag (#21) that Sony have just released a 24.81 effective mega-pixel CMOS full frame chip...
Aren't the new Nikons running CMOS sensors?
Anyway, seems that there is still plenty of activity in develloping the mega pixel race...

Bruce...

Yep, that's the one everyone suspects they will put in the 'D3x'.

/c

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

Despite Sea and Sea being known for their close contacts with Nikon, I doubt that they have any insider information on the rumoured D3x - and have simply labelled their housing as such hoping, much as we all do, that the D3x is the same body as the D3.
If this is the case it is a bit misleading, although maybe this means you can buy the housing now and if it does not fit the D3X then you can make S&S refund you for false advertising! :D Only joking.

This thread on Wetpixel discusses the new 24 MP sony sensor:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=22787

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 Sea&Sea

Sea&Sea

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Despite Sea and Sea being known for their close contacts with Nikon, I doubt that they have any insider information on the rumoured D3x - and have simply labelled their housing as such hoping, much as we all do, that the D3x is the same body as the D3.
If this is the case it is a bit misleading, although maybe this means you can buy the housing now and if it does not fit the D3X then you can make S&S refund you for false advertising! :blush: Only joking.

This thread on Wetpixel discusses the new 24 MP sony sensor:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=22787

Alex

HI Alex-
A bit of wishful thinking of what could be! Stay tuned...

#7 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Muck diving

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

After giving our friends at Sea & Sea so much grief for their less than timely marketing I thought it only fair to bring this to your attention. They have put out an update to the 2008 Catalog Linked here. D3/3X, D300, Mrk III, and the 40D are covered. TTL converters for the YS250 are also pictured. Enjoy :P

Steve

Glad to hear this as I just went to the S&S web site and all their housings are listed 'discontinued' I assumed they were getting out of housings.

Wierd approach to the market. The guy running the company must be brain dead.

Glad to hear this as I just went to the S&S web site and all their housings are listed 'discontinued' I assumed they were getting out of housings.

OOPS! should say I went to the Japanese site not the American one.
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#8 Sea&Sea

Sea&Sea

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hi Ardy-
We have 3 new housings jsut recently released on the market for the D300, 40D and MKIII and all are in stock in the US. The website takes a bit of time to be updated as it follows translation after Japan has updated their site. So not brain dead, just a bit delayed.

#9 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hi Ardy-
We have 3 new housings jsut recently released on the market for the D300, 40D and MKIII and all are in stock in the US. The website takes a bit of time to be updated as it follows translation after Japan has updated their site. So not brain dead, just a bit delayed.

Apologies to you and Sea & Sea, I did notice that the US site was different to the Japanese site. Why would S&S in Japan state on their web site that the D80 housing is discontinued is it really past it's use by date? There was another housing that I thought would still be current, a canon I think, and that was marked discontinued.

In fact all their listed DSLR housings were marked the same.

As a customer (I own 2 S&S flashes) it doesn't give out a good message.
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

The website takes a bit of time to be updated as it follows translation after Japan has updated their site. So not brain dead, just a bit delayed.

OK I'm going to rant now so feel free to change the channel.

Your company is perfectly designed to get the results you get. You are losing potential customers.....read Ardy's message again.....If you guys are happy with a marketing department that takes longer to "update the website" than the engineering department took to design, fabricate, produce, and deliver housings, then you should be happy with the results. I love my new MDX 40D housing, the new design of the MDX class is great. reference Eric's article. If you want to grow the business and reach new customers your current approach is at least comatose if not brain dead as my Aussie friend so eliquently put it. I would love to see you guys grow and be around when I want to house my next camera (90D?) The parent company has serious marketing "opportunities for improvement" Sweeping it under the rug of "just a bit delayed" is only going to lose you more customers. OK rant over..

Sea & Sea, you should go help these folks see the error of their ways and fix the problems. You'd make a big pile of money and you could take us all diving. :P Well, maybe buy us a margarita.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#11 Sea&Sea

Sea&Sea

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

OK I'm going to rant now so feel free to change the channel.

Your company is perfectly designed to get the results you get. You are losing potential customers.....read Ardy's message again.....If you guys are happy with a marketing department that takes longer to "update the website" than the engineering department took to design, fabricate, produce, and deliver housings, then you should be happy with the results. I love my new MDX 40D housing, the new design of the MDX class is great. reference Eric's article. If you want to grow the business and reach new customers your current approach is at least comatose if not brain dead as my Aussie friend so eliquently put it. I would love to see you guys grow and be around when I want to house my next camera (90D?) The parent company has serious marketing "opportunities for improvement" Sweeping it under the rug of "just a bit delayed" is only going to lose you more customers. OK rant over..

Sea & Sea, you should go help these folks see the error of their ways and fix the problems. You'd make a big pile of money and you could take us all diving. :P Well, maybe buy us a margarita.

Steve

Hi Steve-
You and ardy have very valid points and we agree and understand. We thought delivering the housings worldwide and into capable photogs hands would be top priority, now since we have done that, we'll get going on the sites. :D

#12 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hi Steve-
You and ardy have very valid points and we agree and understand. We thought delivering the housings worldwide and into capable photogs hands would be top priority, now since we have done that, we'll get going on the sites. :D

Hi S&S

Thank you for involving yourself in this discussion, we appreciate it.

One of the great things about being in the underwater housing market must be that it is growing exponentially and there ain't no 1000 pound gorilla who takes 80% of the market and the rest fight over the 20%.

Sea and Sea along with Aquatica and Subal have the potential to become that gorilla and take the market from top to bottom. The vision to make that happen comes from the CEO. You have great products and great customers you need someone with vision and balls to make it happen.

I assume that the costs of design and build are too high at the moment with a rapidly changing camera market. If you want to make it to that Gorilla position you need to address this issue directly and that most probably means reducing your time to market and costs by 50%. This ain't easy but it's been done in manufacturing before.

The other thing that amazes me is that nobody in the housing market has formed a tight relationship with a camera supplier or two. Most divers I know want a system that takes great photo's. Their allegiance is not to a Nikon or a Canon (apart from lenses owned) but to their underwater rig or their housing supplier. Give them a great rig at a good price and you should win a lot of the market. You cant believe the difficulty, as a customer, in trying to evaluate cameras, lenses, housings, ports, flashes, wet lenses etc etc.

Personally I would prefer a rig that does everything in one. Macro, wide angle and telephoto up to 100mm 35 equivalent. I dont want to change lenses and ports it gets very boring.

Good luck and as I said earlier I do appreciate you taking the time to listen.
Regards to all

Ardy