• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rwe

rwe

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

I am considering housing a Canon 450D camera. I plan on using the 18-55 mm kit lens initially. While there appears to be many housings available for this camera, not all appear to be available in the US. Of those I have found available in the US, Ikelite, Sea &Sea RDX-450D, Patima PDCH 450D, and the 'soon to be released' Watershot housing appear to be about the same price. I have eliminated Ikelite because I want to use fiber optics to control my Inon Z-240 strope. I would be interested in hearing opinions of the pros and cons and comparisons of the Patima, Sea and Sea, and Watershot housings. In addition, which ports would be recommended for each? Is there a significant difference in size between the three?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), single Inon Z-240, flickr site: https://www.flickr.c...9071@N08/albums

#2 John_D

John_D

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

I don't have much experience yet, but I received my RDX case last week. I have the kit lens, a 60 mm lens, the standard RDX port, and the Inon 240 strobe also. The 60mm should also work with the standard port. Based on the published dimensions for the Patima, the RDX case is a little larger, but with handles and port that would seem insignificant. I had two divers try it briefly at our aquarium’s tropical fish tank. They used the kit lens set to widest angle. Both the other divers and some of the fish pictures looked pretty good. The divers also found pointing and shooting pretty easy. I hope to give it a try myself Friday. John

#3 knyc2000

knyc2000

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

I don't have much experience yet, but I received my RDX case last week. I have the kit lens, a 60 mm lens, the standard RDX port, and the Inon 240 strobe also. The 60mm should also work with the standard port. Based on the published dimensions for the Patima, the RDX case is a little larger, but with handles and port that would seem insignificant. I had two divers try it briefly at our aquarium's tropical fish tank. They used the kit lens set to widest angle. Both the other divers and some of the fish pictures looked pretty good. The divers also found pointing and shooting pretty easy. I hope to give it a try myself Friday. John

Hi John,

Have you had a chance to try your RDX housing? I'm interested in the RDX-450D and I hope your experience with this housing can help answer a few questions:

1. What optic fibre cable do you use to connect the Inon Z240 to the flash port on the housing?
2. Does the 60mm macro lens work well with the standard port?
3. Does the housing come with the zoom gear standard?

Your inputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chai

#4 John_D

John_D

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Chai,

Sorry for the delayed answer but here goes:

I am using a homemade cable.
The 60 mm lens works fine in the standard port but it is probably a lot bigger than needed. I have only been in poorly lit aquarium fish tanks so far and for what I have tried I like using the 18-55 better for most fish and people. The 60 mm is like better for very small things close up. Someone who knows more than me might like to discuss using a dome port with the 18-55.

You need to purchase gears separately for each lens. The 18-55 needs to be used in autofocus since the gear available only does zooming.

Next week I get to try it out in Roatan. Hope my cold goes away.
John

#5 M J S

M J S

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Next week I get to try it out in Roatan. Hope my cold goes away.
John

Hi John,

I would also be very interested in your impression of the housing after your trip.

I have ordered this housing but it is not available in the UK for another couple of weeks.

Regards
Mark

#6 knyc2000

knyc2000

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply... I received the RDX-450D 2 weeks ago and have only tested it on land so far.
I'm very happy with the design and the standard port works well with both the 18-55 kit lens and the 60mm macro lens on land.
I'm happy that the 'aparture/exposure' button is designed to be able to stay 'pressed' which allow me to make changes using the dial without the need to hold the button... well done Sea & Sea :-)

I will not get a chance to test the housing underwater until next month...
I'm really looking forward to my next dive trip with this new housing...

Cheers...

Chai

#7 John_D

John_D

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

I returned from a week of diving with the 450 case and camera. I had no problems using the setup underwater. The only slight trouble I found was finding the center dot in the viewfinder (I am using just the center for focusing). After focus was achieved I could easily see the red dot light up but it was not always where I wanted it. This may be as much the fault of my mask and eyes as the case/camera. I would post a few pictures but I haven't figured how on this forum yet. I also need a lot more experience using it to see all the ways I can do things wrong.
I don't think any of the buttons stay depressed. In manual the Av +- button causes the adj wheel to change the aperture when it is depressed. Otherwise the wheel changes the shutter speed.
John