3 replies to this topic

#1 Doversole

Doversole

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:39 AM

Hi!
I am going to dive in South Africa mid-October. A few days in both Protea banks and Aliwal shoal.
My gear is an olympus OMD.
Should I plan to use a fisheye or a 14mm?
Are the sharks coming close enough for me to use a strobe (I got a pair of Inon z240)?
I remember a trip to French Polynesia where the sharks kept their distances (I don't dive with a rebreather). I got a bit frustrated by the fisheye there....
Thanks for your advice!

#2 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

Fisheye would most likely be used more on Aliwal this in the French Polynesia if the ragged tooth sharks are still around as they tend to be pretty docile and allow u to get up close. Not sure what 14mm lens you’re talking about but if I went there again I’d probably bring my 12-35 and 7-14, using the 7-14 most of the time.
Yes, strobes, always :)

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

I have been there when I had a compact camera
Take 7-14 and fisheye the 7-14 will be useful for the baited tiger shark dives the fisheye if you have sardine run
14-42mm useful if you want to take a portrait of a single fish or few fish in the
bait ball

Take two strobes with 8” or longer segments

https://flic.kr/p/vjUk5E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121, 04 June 2018 - 03:02 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 jfe

jfe

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Depending on the type of shark dive you’re doing. Baited shark dive they are up close and personal and as mentioned before you can get close to the raggies. If there are tigers around they’ll sometimes come up close and other times keep a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk