Photo
- - - - -

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

The GH5s also has (can't remember if the GH5 also has) E-Stablisation which is like a builtin warp stabiliser, no idea how it works, if there is some IMU detecting moving, of its just as bad as the old EIS of older cameras.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#62 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

I think stabilization isn't such a big deal underwater with a properly trimmed and balanced rig (admitedly, this isn't the most straightforward thing to do with the DSLR housings vs cinema housings).

But people have been filming using DSLRs underwater for almost a decade now, not to mention all the larger cameras that don't have any sort of stabilization and getting reasonable results. So it's not the end of the world. You should everyone taking a RED underwater is putting it on a tripod all the time?

#63 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

The GH5s also has (can't remember if the GH5 also has) E-Stablisation which is like a builtin warp stabiliser, no idea how it works, if there is some IMU detecting moving, of its just as bad as the old EIS of older cameras.

E-stabilisation creates a 1.09x crop worth testing if it works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#64 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

Apparently this camera doesn’t come with a battery charger you have to either charge within the camera or buy a third party.
In a comparative video with the GH5 this camera went through 8 battery packs in 8 hours versus a single one for the GH5.
That appears to be a significant limitation.
Looks like this camera is designed to shoot on land on continuous power supply or on a gimbal
I think it is a strong contender to the GH5s and if you are bought into the S probably this one is the way forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#65 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:34 AM

One thing worth thinking about is that at least part of the interface depends on the touch-screen -- which means a housing may leave you without any option to change things like codec, frame rate, white balance, perhaps even ISO/aperture underwater. Anyone have one to test what can and cannot be done without the touchscreen?

Another problem may be the one-touch autofocus. As far as I understand it, you need to use the touch-screen to set this. Is there any way to set it to one of the custom buttons?

#66 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 AM

One thing worth thinking about is that at least part of the interface depends on the touch-screen -- which means a housing may leave you without any option to change things like codec, frame rate, white balance, perhaps even ISO/aperture underwater. Anyone have one to test what can and cannot be done without the touchscreen?

Another problem may be the one-touch autofocus. As far as I understand it, you need to use the touch-screen to set this. Is there any way to set it to one of the custom buttons?

This a nice video review. At 4:05-5:00 he speaks about the buttons usability. BTW, how to you guys imbed a video?
https://youtu.be/3lYDNMP-C14
The camera has the following buttons for quick access:
Iris
Focus
High Frame Rate
Zoom
Menu
Playback
Stills
Record – top and front
White Balance
Shutter
ISO
Function buttons – I, II and III – three customizable buttons.
Best Regards,
Thani