• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Apple has released the newest version of Aperture, Version 3 which includes improved library control, GPS, online upload (facebook etc) and over 200 other new features.

Apple Aperture 3 official website

Aperture in Action (Pros talk about Aperture 3)

The new program costs $199 for a retail set or $99 for the upgrade from previous versions and is available immediately.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

I've posted a piece to the front page with my first impressions. Look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks of this long awaited release.

#3 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I'm abandoning my tentative plans to switch to to Lightroom for now. I was dreading the time it would take to manage the transition anyway.
The Geotagging features look great. I also plan on using the video integration for 7D output.
I was planning on stopping in the Apple store on the way home tonight anyway. It looks like I may be able to pick up a Aperture update along side my OS 10.6 update.
Canon 7D in a Subal housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'd call ahead to check if the upgrades are available at the stores.

According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

-Brad

#6 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

Canon PowerShot S90
Canon sRAW
Canon mRAW
Leica D-LUX 4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.
Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:
Import XMP Sidecar Data
While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

Edited by loftus, 09 February 2010 - 04:57 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

Today Apple also released an OS update that includes some important RAW compatibility:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Yay! Only 18 months after the camera was released!

I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#9 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

Canon PowerShot S90
Canon sRAW
Canon mRAW
Leica D-LUX 4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Its about time Canon sRAW and mRAW were supported.
Users of the popular Panasonic G1 will also be happy.

Long overdue. The S90 is one of the most popular consumer digicams with RAW format, and has been shipping since October. The Lumix line has been a big hit for its form factor. This is the kind of delay that has lost Apple customers in droves. Even Aperture evangelists like Derrick Story had to ditch at least temporarily while waiting for the updates. With the life cycle of cameras growing ever shorter, not supporting them out of the gates is a terrible business strategy. Apple needs to pick up speed on this front, or outsource it.

Actually, one of my hopes for Aperture 3 was that they would open up the RAW processing pipeline to third parties, so that Canon, Panasonic, et. al. could incorporate their own algorithms into the app. A pipe dream to be sure, especially for a company like Apple, but I think it would offer a much better plugin architecture than either Apple or Adobe are offering now. Forcing plug-in developers to take over image processing after the RAW is rendered to pixels strikes me as utterly pointless. It's far better to use the Photoshop versions of those plugins with smart filters.

#10 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

Maybe one of the most important features for file movement etc is this:
Import XMP Sidecar Data
While importing images, Aperture now imports metadata from XMP sidecar files located with them.

Yes, this is definitely welcome. It's ridiculous they didn't offer it before. There was no migration path to Aperture without it. How would anyone possibly switch?

Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view. iView/Expression Media can see star rankings assigned in Bridge or Lightroom for example. By the way, this applies to JPEGs in addition to RAW which is just incredibly dumb.

#11 sterlingz

sterlingz

Moray Eel

• 98 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

I am going to have to do some testing to see if Aperture can sync XMP (as opposed to just reading and exporting). I will never again use a product that keeps library data hostage.

Eric, I looked into this briefly. There is an option to export metadata, but it only generates a .txt file. There is however an option to export masters with XMP sidecar. I think this options are the same as in v2?

As far as syncing - I haven't come across anything yet that gives me hope this was included.

#12 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

The new feature Write IPTC Metadata to Master should be a convenient way to free your metadata. Only works in OS 10.6.

Unfortunately, the XMP import is incomplete. It does not support star or color ratings from Adobe, which is just a ridiculous oversight. Again, not playing for interoperability in classic Apple tradition. A big mistake in my view.

"Aperture 3 imports metadata from XMP sidecar files that adhere to the XMP 1.0 specification; ratings and label values are not part of that specification."

-Brad

#13 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Too bad. I wouldn't want to write IPTC to the master, and exporting XMP alongside masters has been there for a long time -- seems unchanged from earlier versions.

I have over 100,000 images in a folder structure, and would love for Aperture to sync out XMP alongside existing referenced masters. I think I'm going to have to export all masters into 1 directory with XMPs and write a program to copy them to where they actually live in my Pictures folder (I'm still looking for ways to get my metadata out of Aperture and into Lightroom).
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#14 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone opened LX3 files with the upgrade. This would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

I can't even install the darn trial on my computer. Keeps hanging after I click install. Sheesh!

Drew

#16 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

I'm hopeful that Aperture 3 will fulfill my needs for a while. As long as it's fast and stable, everything else is secondary for me. I do not want to continuously change programs, just want to settle in and have something that works.
Nice features that I think will incorporate into my workflow are the synchronous backup to a second drive on import. geotagging, easier transfer of libraries from laptop to desktop and more non-destructive editing / brushes. After selects are complete etc, any special images for printing I will reexport the masters for Nikon RAW conversion and NX2 manipulation and or Photoshop, then resave back to Aperture as TIFFS in the original stack.

Edited by loftus, 10 February 2010 - 04:50 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#17 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

MAN! I havnt been this excited since I was 12 and the nintendo 64 came out!

#18 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Reading through the features; I've looked at the Faces and Places feature. I know it's been on iPhoto for a while as has geotagging in general, and I've just assumed it was kind of hokey.
But taking a look at it, have to admit it's pretty cool with very slick interface for geotagging integration with great applications for what we do as underwater photographers traveling the world. Faces on the other hand may not be so much part of my workflow, unless it can recognize fish. Now auto integrated species identification, wouldn't that be awesome.........
http://www.apple.com...ion/richardson/

Edited by loftus, 11 February 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#19 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:52 AM

According to some folks at macrumors.com who have been to the Apple Store and asked, physical copies of Aperture will not be on the shelves until tomorrow. It looks like I'll need to endure a 500+ Meg download tonight. Remember the days when DSL seemed fast enough?

-Brad

Haha, that would take me a week or more to download that :drink:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#20 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

I pick up an upgrade copy of Aperture 3 at the Apple Store last night.
Installation was a greater chore than I anticipated. Aperture crashed consistently on startup. A little googling revealed that this problem is widespread amongst upgraders. The solution was to delete the Aperture ProID file from Library/Application Support. After restart I needed to enter the serial of my previous Aperture install (Aperture v2).
After start-up, Aperture 3 took 2+ hours to update 70,000 thumbnails in my referenced photo library.
Once I had Aperture 3 up and running I had one additional crash that took down the whole computer, requiring a reboot. Fortunately I did not loose any work. In fact Aperture opened up to the same window with the same images selected prior to the crash
So far I’m happy with the features. I geotagged an entire Bali/Wakatobi trip very quickly. I just hope we see a stability update soon.
I'm learning not to be such an early adopter. I waited until this week to update the OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6.2. I was too anxious to wait for Aperture 3.1.

-Brad

Edited by BradDB, 11 February 2010 - 10:14 AM.