33 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:55 AM

Hello guys. First of all, membership and information at Wetpixel will always remain free, but some of you have expressed interest in supporting Wetpixel financially.

I'm sure we'll eventually have t-shirts, hats, calendars, etc. etc. but for now, I've set up a special paid package called, "Team Wetpixel" that you can subscribe to by using the subscriptions control panel.

Team Wetpixel

Offers a way to support Wetpixel! Funds are used to build new features and to support the hard-working staff behind the scenes.

Aside from feeling warm and fuzzy, you also get more image upload space per post, attachment support in private messages, and more storable messages. Most importantly, you'll get access to a "Lite" version of the Wetpixel forums, which will allow you to browse and participate more quickly.

This package does not auto-renew, but you will receive a warning e-mail two weeks before expiration. Payment is via Paypal or credit card only (you can pay via credit card through paypal without opening an account).

[more info: subscriptions control panel]

As mentioned in this poll, I'm working on a way to have a low-cost subscription that enables a low-bandwidth, ad-free version of the forums. This package is just for those of you who said you'd probably donate even if there wasn't an ad-free version as a perk. ;)

Thank you for your support!

UPDATE: Here's a movie of the new low-bandwidth skin at Wetpixel.

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:00 AM

Well I signed up. Not sure I'll even use any of the additional features, but I just wanted to say that Wetpixel has given me enjoyment way beyond the 30 bucks it just cost me. Just the information on gear available has been worth it, though the Gearlust forum has surely landed up costing me a good part of a year's income. :)
I think that the 'Internet Generation' really take for granted how much value is provided, and are just so used to getting everything for free. I know, I know,....you get money for advertising etc, but just like I indicated 'Tipping is in the culture' thread I am all for voluntarily paying more for great value received. Going the extra mile sure beats just providing what is necessary, and should /will be rewarded, at least that's what I teach my kids.
Good luck Eric, may you be famous...and rich. :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Good luck Eric, may you be famous...and rich. :)

Thanks for the well-wishes. Wetpixel is going to make me a thousandaire! :)

But seriously. What I'd love to do is have a team working to make Wetpixel better as their primary jobs (without the need to have jobs on the side, as we all do now). I'm no sure how to do that yet, but I'm working on it.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

If you need anyone to do trip reports from across the U.k and the Med, I'm your man. :)

Dive safe

Dean(low cost)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

I came here a beggar in search of bread and ate freely at the table of kings. :P Now I can support the mission of "the Devil" :) in his quest to provide underwater photography food to the needy. At $30 bucks for the entire year, 'tis a steal! :)

Dean (low-cost) B <------ ;) :lol:
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#6 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:51 AM

Good luck Eric, may you be famous...and rich. smile.gif

He's already famous. His underwater passions now guarantee that he will never be rich. If you want rich, start a religious cult.

What I'd love to do is have a team working to make Wetpixel better as their primary jobs (without the need to have jobs on the side, as we all do now)

Interesting pronoun "we". Must be with NSA or CIA or something. :)
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#7 jbonehoss

jbonehoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving: Indonesia, Thailand, Bahamas

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

30 bucks is the deal of the century - I'm in!
Justin Ebert : Addicted to Compressed Air
Nikon D70s : Sea & Sea Housing : 10.5mm, 15mm, 17-35mm

#8 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

Totally agree. I'm in.

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#9 philmayer

philmayer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

As the newest Team member, I'd like to vote for having the forum remember where the heck I am. If you want, I'll research the problem and write the code for you too.

It's annoying to come out of a thread and get returned to the top of the forum page. I'm old and feeble minded, it's not funny!
Nikon D200, Ikelite Housing, DS200, ULCS Arms, 12-24, 18-70, 60, 105VR

#10 jcfig

jcfig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute in some small way. The advise and knowledge I've obtain from the site, and its members, are worth so much more.

#11 Undercbon

Undercbon

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

Money well spent!

#12 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

I just got my reminder notice for to renew this, but can't find a way to actually do it.???
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#13 ScubaSpen

ScubaSpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spending more than 500 hrs a year underwater gawking at marine life and taking the odd picture.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

Hi all

Just want to thanks to all the members for getting me into this UW photo stuff. I am based in Phuket, Thailand and I will happily subscribe to WP and would like to offer my local knowlegde (6yrs only) to all WP members. I am happy to provide advice, reports, assistance etc to all WP subscibers.

I have built a web site dedicated to this area (Andaman Sea/ Mergui Archipelago) area and I will have more detailed dive site guides and reef maps on my site in the next few months for Burma. There does not seem to be any up to date info about Burma and the dive sites, so I would like to offer my services as a local contact in anyway I can.

Happy new year to all
Spen

#14 JoelD

JoelD

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

I just got my reminder notice for to renew this, but can't find a way to actually do it.???

Just one? The subscriber notice policy must be set to every day from about the 350th day down to 365th.

i.e., I've been getting them every day for about a week...........
Joel D.
http://www.widgetsandmore.com

Nikon D300, D70s & a bunch of Ikelite stuff and all sorts of stuff my wife doesn't know about. Shhhhhh!

Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals Today

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:27 AM

Really! that is no good. I have to figure out how to change that.

thanks for bearing with me while I get this sorted out...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#16 dbh

dbh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Just one? The subscriber notice policy must be set to every day from about the 350th day down to 365th.

i.e., I've been getting them every day for about a week...........

Same here. I just scrolled through this thread before I e-mailed you Eric to see if you can change this feature (or tune it up a little). Mine doesn't expire until 1/22 and I have gotten 4 notices already. I am going to renew.......on the 22nd....:-).

Dave
Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Dual Inon Z240, Sola 600
Reef Photo

#17 diggy

diggy

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

My money's in the "Piggy" Bank :ninja:

Diggy

Edited by diggy, 13 January 2008 - 10:53 PM.

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#18 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Argh. really sorry, guys. We just took delivery of a new server, and I have to get all the software updated before I can look into this.

We're a couple versions behind -- the new version SURELY has options to prevent the needless emails... right? :ninja:
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#19 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

I guess this is not fixed yet Eric, I've been getting daily reminders for a while now, but as I'm only back to email after traveling, my inbox is now shouting at me <_<

Happy to renew when I know how to! :)

Nick

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#20 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hey, guys. We've just upgraded to the new system, and it may be possible to renew now. Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll give the subscription system a test as soon as I can to make sure...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos