12 replies to this topic

#1 jefdriesen

jefdriesen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:09 AM

Hi,

I own two Sea & Sea YS-110. I have been very satisfied with them, and never had any problems with them. But after about 10+ years of use, one of the strobes died last year. So I'm looking for buying a new one. The two obvious candidates are the Sea & Sea YS-D2 and the Inon Z330. Since I have been using Sea & Sea's before, that would be my first choice. But then I read about issues about those strobes, and very positive things about the Inon Z330.

Since I still have a functional YS-110 left, I prefer to continue using that (for cost reasons). Are there any downsides with using two completely different strobes? The color temperature are not the same for example.

The Z330 has dome shaped front. Doesn't that make it more suitable for wide angle and less for macro work? I suppose it's also more easy to scratch? How about attaching a snoot? I made a home made fiber optic snoot for my YS-110. While I can still use my YS-110 for snoot work, someday it will die as well. And then I'll probably the same strobe as I'm going to buy now, to have a matching pair again.

Jef

Nikon D7000 - Nikon AF-D 60mm - Tokina 10-17mm - Hugyfot housing - 2x Sea & Sea YS-110 optically triggered

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Do a search on this forum to see the problems people have been having with S&S strobes, they were enough to steer me away to INON strobes which definitely seem to have a better reputation for reliability.  I would not think that the dome front would make the strobe more or less suitable for macro work, certainly it will help with wide angle.  I don't think scratching the dome will have any impact apart from cosmetic and in any case will likely have a diffuser over it much of the time.

#3 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Also do a search for the new YS-D2J model now made in Japan that has replaced the older ones made in China. We haven't had one bad strobe since the change late last summer. They work very well. The z330's a nice strobes, pretty much impossible to find here in the US for now. I sort of tire of all the bashing around here when people aren't playing with all the facts.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:59 PM

Jack: I am right now in Anilao and they have had at least 3 S&S D2Js fail. Not statistically significant, but there have been some issues. I suspect there isn't enough Z330 usage out there to figure out how they will behave long run.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:42 PM

Also do a search for the new YS-D2J model now made in Japan that has replaced the older ones made in China. We haven't had one bad strobe since the change late last summer. They work very well. The z330's a nice strobes, pretty much impossible to find here in the US for now. I sort of tire of all the bashing around here when people aren't playing with all the facts.

There is one good thing some bashing did, which is flush out some data on the reliability on the new strobes, internet forums are great for pointing out reliability issues with products , but to confirm they have been solved, you need a data set from a different source such as a retailer who can report selling a large number of strobes with no returns coming back as people don't tend to log on to say the new item they bought actually works.  Good to hear the reliability appears to have improved. 

#6 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

We've sold something like around 80 with no problems since Sept. I don't know what problems you had Bill, I don't think you got the strobes from us? These are US units btw, not from Taiwan.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#7 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

We've sold something like around 80 with no problems since Sept. I don't know what problems you had Bill, I don't think you got the strobes from us? These are US units btw, not from Taiwan.

I do not understand... You are referring to the d2/d2j or the z330? I do not think any of them are made in Taiwan...

#8 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

No, the YSD2J is commonly sold in Taiwan.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

#9 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

No, the YSD2J is commonly sold in Taiwan.

Ah... Got it.

#10 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:26 PM

I think Mike got them in Manila, don't know from whom, but 3 of them had some significant issues. Maybe early on in the production. Me, I am still using the YS-D1 with no new issues after the firmware was fixed.

BVA

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#11 rumblefish

rumblefish

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and wreckdiving. Editor in chief of 'Onderwatersport', the monthly magazine of the Dutch Dive Branch.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Hi Jef,

I used Sea & Sea strobes since 1991 (YS-350, YS-D90 Duo, YS-D-1) and they never failed (not even once). 

--Rob

Nikon D810, D600, D80, Sigma 15mm FE, Nikon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm FE, Sigma 24mm macro, Nikon 60mm macro, Nikon 105mm macro, Sigma 180mm macro. Nauticam NA-D810, 45° viewfinder, Subal ND80. Sea&Sea YS-D1 (2x), YS350 and YS90. ULCS arms.

#12 Magrone

Magrone

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

I have had the Inon z240's for 10 years with no problems ever, and even managed to bring one back to life after flooding the battery compartment. I have used the Z330's on 8 dives so far with no issues. I bought the Z330s without even considering the other new strobes Retra, Sea&Sea, etc...  based solely on my experience with the reliable z240. So far the z330 has not disappointed.   I have not decided yet whether or not to sell the z240s, or keep them as macro strobes. 

#13 tahoeclarity

tahoeclarity

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

As far as noticing the difference in images, I've used both at similar camera settings and haven't been able to notice a difference.