Photo
- - - - -

Any comments or experience with AOI Ports?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 50fathom

50fathom

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:35 AM

Does anyone have any comments or real world experience with AOI Ports? They are apparently the OEM for all Olympus underwater housings, ports etc that bare the logo. They offer a number of selections from aluminum/glass - plastic/glass - aluminum/acrylic - plastic/acrylic body/dome setups for the PEN housings.

I am still looking for a port for my EPL3/PT-05L combo and while there is the Zen dome out there, these ports look like a decent contender and offer a wide range of lens options.

DLP-03P Underwater Glass Semi-Dome Port for Olympus PEN Housing

Compatible Lenses:

• Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R
  • Olympus M.Zuiko ED 9-18mm f//4.0-5.6
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f/2.0
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 & f/2.8
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8
  • Olympus M.Zuiko ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro
  • Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.

See some sites that offer them, details are limited sadly

http://oceanleisurec...or-pen-housings

http://www.backscatt...oi-dlp-03.lasso

https://www.opticalo...en-housing.html

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? 

#2 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

I have used the AOI port designed for the 8mm Panasonic on an epl7 housing pt-ep12.  It worked fine.  I bought it over the precision dome.  The Zen dome is quite pricey for the 8mm.

I also own the Zen 100 semi dome which I think directly competes with the AOI you're looking at.

It is great and I love it's versatility as I use the 9-18, 60mm & occasionally the 14-42 kit lens behind it.

I would question whether the Zen or the AOI would be compatible with the 12mm.  Seems like it would vignette as it's a smaller lens and would be far from the glass.

I would say the same thing about both 17s also.  I have not heard of anyone using a 45 behind it either.  

That being said, the ability to go all the way from 9mm to 60mm in the same port (which I do all the time) is the big selling point of these semi domes for me.

Just be careful choosing your lens.  If you don't intend to use 9-18, there are probably other ways to go on this.

Edited by chris_l, 01 April 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#3 50fathom

50fathom

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

Currently I still shoot with the the 14-42 kit lens, but I do plan on getting the 9-18. So was looking at something that will enhance the kit lens and the 9-18 later on

#4 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:00 AM

I would suggest you look at the ZEN WA-100.  It is only $375 now and I can attest that it is nicely made.  I've used it for a while with both the epl2 & now epl7.

I could not find the specs on the dimensions of the WA-100, but I suspect it and the AOI are within millimeters of each other.

I say that because even though you might be able to fit all those lens into the AOI, I don't think all of them will work very well underwater.

Zen lists the lens that the port is designed for, which is the kit 14-42 & 9-18.  I and others have successfully used the 60mm in that dome also.

I have been happy with my AOI for the 8mm.

So, I think both ZEN and AOI make good products.

My point is don't base your decision on the list of AOI supported lens, because I just don't think it's reality.

#5 Hanzz

Hanzz

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:43 AM

Hello Chris.
Do you use the glass or the acrylic AOI Port for the 8mm? I want to buy the AOI Port for the 8mm Panasonic and I do not know which.

#6 chris_l

chris_l

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hanzz, 

just saw your question.

I have the acrylic and it works fine for me.

#7 shoalsearcher

shoalsearcher

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

I have both the AOI  DLP-03 and zen wa100. The AOI is a tad larger with a diameter of around 4.75 inches, the zen comes in at 4". That surprised me, I expected a 4" dome on the AOI. The zen is better built but the AOI is no slouch either. Both eminently serviceable. My subjective feeling is that the AOI is a tad better though both seem to have issues with in/out shots with "open" f-stops. Couldn't decide if it was dome geometry, environmental conditions, image stabilization or focus considerations/camera technique. Tried quite a few combinations and variables without generating an adequate answer. I am contemplating accepting the field of view penalty and using a flat port instead.   Both the 14-42 and the 60 seem to give slightly better images (subjectively crisper images) with the flat port, once FOV issues are ignored, for my working conditions (relatively dark freshwater springs) and photo preferences. May pano stitch to generate greater FOV images for landscapes with limited FOV macro lenses to get the wanted results.

David