• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D.K.S.

D.K.S.

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

I have a Nikon d500 in a Nauticam housing.Im presently using the Nauticam flash trigger that came with the housing,shooting manual-have always shot manual,principally because ttl was not an option on previous rigs.I am contemplating getting the Nauticam ttl converter/flash trigger-one less thing to think about/adjust while shooting.Has anybody out there used this converter?Is it accurate?Is it worthwhile trying it for wide angle as well as macro?I would appreciate any feedback,thanks.

Ken

#2 frank70

frank70

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hi Ken,

I just upgraded to a tttconverter/flash trigger mainly because i could't get the lighting right. Just for your understanding i have a hard time evaluating my pics underwater because of my eyesight.

one of the reasons i got the D-500 was because of its focussing system.

I used uit in macro mode for about 4 days and then drifted back to manual. It was producing oke images but i was not blown away. Never tested it for wide angle .

It turned out that my problem was in the rechargeable batteries i was using. So in hindsight i would have never bought it.

Kind regards ,

Frank

#3 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

I've found it to be pretty good, but it took some finagling to get the camera settings right to support it.  With the YSD-1s I'm using, I couldn't get consistent ttl firing until the autobracketing control was adjusted for some reason. (It now  shows the flash, shutter and clock symbols.) Basically, the tech at Backscatter fiddled with various settings until it worked.  You'll need to tell the camera what exposure settings you want, too.  There are a ton of choices.  I haven't tried it on wide angle yet.  Once set, you can shoot rapid fire as long as the strobes will recycle.

My one complaint is that they don't give you specific settings for the camera for compatibility.  It would be very helpful to have a suggested starting point.  Since it's specific to that camera and a few strobes, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Edited by Larry C, 20 September 2017 - 07:26 PM.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ttl converter