Photo
- - - - -

White balance options for video lights (Wide Angle)

white balance wb lights dslr color

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2304 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

I agree that WB options vary from camera model to model! This means that it is impossible to provide generic advice.

I tend to keep the camera pretty still whie shooting and shoot short sequences and find that this helps to minimizes WB shifts. There are exceptions, like when there is bright sunlight filtering through the water, but arguably, fixed WB will produce funky color cast in this situation too.

The blue keldan light filters correct the light's output to reflect the actual color temperature of the ambient light at depth. This produces a natural looking scene.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Publisher-wetpixel
web | Facebook

#22 romdz

romdz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

I make it simple: I'm setting WB on auto with the lights and I'm not using the filters.

#23 bubffm

bubffm

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:22 AM

On Sony and Panasonic cameras, I am happy with Auto WB as long as I shoot in one direction (ie with the sun / against the sun). The problems start if your are moving against the source of the light, ie follow a shark circling around you. That usually results in WB shifts unless your lights are stronger than the sun penetrating, in which case the effect may not be as significant.

Like Adam, I also tend to shoot short sequences and start a new clip as my position towards the sun changes.

Edited by bubffm, 04 February 2019 - 01:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: white balance, wb, lights, dslr, color