5 replies to this topic

#1 katy-kid

katy-kid

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:FLORIDA!

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

So I am a pale skinned redhead who has chosen probably the worst career path for my skin, underwater photography (which is ultimately also the most fulfilling thing ever....), I have been through the gamut on sunscreens and found this stuff called bare republic I use on my face that got good reviews from the EWG website, and its reef-safe: http://www.ewg.org/s...)/#.WuCecoEpDYU

What else does everyone use? This stuff is great but would love to find out if there's something that might last longer. Thanks for suggestions!

Katy Danca Galli

Atmospheric UW Photography

http://katydancagalli.com

#2 hchoat

hchoat

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

Very fair skinned blonde- native Floridian now residing in Hawaii.  I absolutely HATE sunscreen- it's hot, sticky, and it stinks (literally- I can't stand the smell of 99% of it).  I've tried them ALL.  The only thing I can tolerate is Stream2Sea.  It's reef and fish safe (actually tested), and the developer has a long history of development of safe cosmetics.  Bonus- the developer, Autumn Blum, is not only a diver but an underwater photographer.  It's magic- I can generally apply once and sweat/ be in and out of the waterfall day without the need to reapply.

#3 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, motorcycling, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

I hope you find one that works for you. I tend to wear long sleeves and hats rather than sunscreen. It aint sexy but works for me. Being coral and fish-safe is important. Here in Hawaii the legislature is working on banning sun screens with oxybenzone and its derivatives which are allegedly harmful to coral.

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Neutrogena (with Helioplex)

A former landlord of mine had skin cancer (fisherman) and was treated at one of the top hospitals in the US. The cancer docs there recommended that. Its not cheap but really good stuff. Also heard good things about Raw Elements, but no real info, could just be marketing hype. 

Regarding that comparison website you linked - I've not looked at it but do remember researching a few years ago and there were some major impartiality & distortion problems with some of the major sunscreen comparisons. Honestly can't recall exactly, but as with everything online, read with extreme skepticism and seek multiple sources. So much disinformation out there. 

#5 Jeanpaul

Jeanpaul

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

Nivea SPF 45

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:49 AM

I'm with Humu797 - a long sleeved skin under the wetsuit, and a hat to cover my face is all I ever use.  I don't like to think that I am killing the coral that I am there to see.  I also can't stand the smell or feel of sunscreen on my skin.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver