• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

I remember that some time ago we discuss about a tool to catalog and view our clip collections. A sort of Lightroom specifically designed for video. AFAIR Nick Hope was looking for a tool like this.

This is one of that hidden gems that GV does not even mention in its official YT channel and it's even difficult to find on their website.

If you are PC based you should give it a try.

https://www.grassval...m/products/mync

Mync has a unique video preview function that is second to none. The powerful video preview function provided is unlike that of any other software. This great feature of Mync is possible because Grass Valley also developed the EDIUS professional video editing software. In addition to the h.264 format that is used widely, including on the Internet and for smartphones, various formats used in professional workplaces are supported. With Mync, unified management is possible for diverse video materials, starting with XDCAM, P2, XAVC and XF-AVC, and including video files that ordinarily could not be checked without launching video editing software. Native data can be previewed without conversion.

Allows simple editing (with export to youtube and such even).

Basic version is completely free.

Edited by Davide DB, 28 April 2017 - 05:49 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Thanks. That does look like a useful program.

What I was looking for was a full-blown hierarchical database of media assets, with categories and sub-categories of tag so that I can find my media for example by dive-site+species+format+time-of-day etc.. Sony Creative Software had this with Media Manager, and it worked well, although it could have been better if they had developed it a little. It still works in Magix Vegas Pro but unfortunately the Windows 10 Anniversary update broke it and I don't see any evidence of Magix fixing or developing it. Unfortunately I have 24,000 fully-tagged items in my libraries so it's not easy to switch. Vee-Hive was the nearest thing I could find when I last researched this but will it be there in the long-term and support future formats?

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Thanks. That does look like a useful program.

. Vee-Hive was the nearest thing I could find when I last researched this but will it be there in the long-term and support future formats?

Who knows?  :pardon:

Mostly it depends on the adoption rate among Edius users and beyond. it's important to see how many new features will be introduced in the next releases.

I remember the first versions of Lightroom had only plain tags and later Adobe introduced tag hierarchies.

Currently Mync is packaged along Edius 8.x. Mync means to Edius as Adobe Bridge to Photoshop.

In the next few months I have to build a new editing workstation. I will give it a try and give you some feedback. 

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

I was going to give it a try, but I stumble the installation instruction that I need to register for an "Edius ID". I don't understand the concept/requirement.

The Mync Basic is free, but you need the Eduis ID to install/launch, but the Eduis ID is only 30-days trial. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to test run a software.

#5 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

I was going to give it a try, but I stumble the installation instruction that I need to register for an "Edius ID". I don't understand the concept/requirement.

The Mync Basic is free, but you need the Eduis ID to install/launch, but the Eduis ID is only 30-days trial. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to test run a software.

Yes, even for the free version you have to register with Grass valley to receive a valid serial number via email. I know it's a little PITA.

Here the GV Mync product forum:

https://forum.grassv...isplay.php?f=87

#6 Vee-Hive

Vee-Hive

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Vee-Hive was the nearest thing I could find when I last researched this but will it be there in the long-term and support future formats?

Hi Nick. Been a long time...

Vee-Hive (and, indeed, all other DirectShow-based video applications) don't support *any* media formats by themselves. They are all reliant on DirectShow filters being developed and made available for Windows, i.e. if you have the right filter for the job installed. then Vee-Hive can play anything. I always recommend (and check for its presence when the program is first run) LAV Filters as a one-stop shop for this purpose; LAV is truly a great, modern filter set for Windows and is actively maintained.