• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:travelilng, diving, photography, animal behavior, American football.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I have just seen Seacam's announcement of a new Prelude housing for the Nikon D750. I feel this housing is very deficient in its controls for a camera like the Nikon D750. The housing has no controls for either the preview or function buttons on the camera which can be programmed to provide a number of functions useful to an underwater photographer.  These include instantly disconnecting your flashes. Or using Nikon's flash value lock function.  As far as I know, no Seacam housing has ever had controls that allow you to use these.  Even more incomprehensible, since Seacam makes and sells TTL underwater flashes, is the apparent lack of a control for the flash compensation button on the camera which allows you to increase or decrease TTL flash output.  If you want to have access to the full capabilities of your Nikon D750 camera, I think this housing would be a bad choice.   

#2 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:18 AM

There was a debate when Seacam started the Prelude line (incomprehensible lack of controls line...) which I think started with the nikon D7000 model; I never understood it and I would never consider any of its models. Seacam makes excellent housings (Silverline), strobes, ports and viewfinders... and then makes Prelude housings.

D300, D7000, D7100. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Issota, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

I have sold several Prelude housings to scientists who have specific requirements of their equipment and for whom minimal controls are actually not a problem. Their budgets don't often allow for high end cameras and the Preludes fit their requirements very well indeed. As photographers its all too easy to assume that owners of underwater housings automatically require access to every control and that they will use them all but in reality this is not the case. Actually toughness and reliability (especially where students are involved, working in cold and often difficult conditions to whom the housing is just another tool to be used to capture information) are very important attributes too - sometimes far more important than full control access.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: housings, Nikon