• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

My Sola 600 is acting up so I'm in the market for a new focus light.  When I bought the Sola back in 2011 it was considered to be "the" focus light to get.  Now I'm wondering what the current thinking is on focus lights.  I only need it for photography so don't care about video light capability.  It would be great to get some feedback on what people like.

Edited by andy_deitsch, 02 July 2018 - 10:42 AM.

Nikon D850, Nauticam housing, 2x Inon z240, Sigma 15mm, Nikkor 60mm + 105mm, SMC
www.andydeitsch.com

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2183 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hi Andy

I got the Sola 800 Photo about 3 years ago. Very happy with it. It has red LEDs which seem to bother the critters less - and the usual variable output. And white light of course. Sturdy, light-weight, good battery life and inexpensive. Relatively.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

I have the iTorch Pro6. It has four power settings for white, two for red, one UV. If anything it is too bright even on the lowest setting. The replacement Pro 7 is even brighter (5000 vs 2800 lumens.) The battery is replaceable but explodes (!) if put in a charger the wrong way. The beam is very wide and soft which is nice as a focus light, and it's compact. 

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

I'm using an Inon torch, I like them as they use AA NiMH same as my flash, the350 lumen one I'm using lasts 2.5 hours on 3 x AA batteries. They have a number of options. I also have a 1400 lumen torch (700 lumen low setting) that will last 3 = hours on the 6 AA batteries. They a quite well made.

#5 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:12 AM

+1 for Sola Photo - used 800, changed to 1200 recently. Perfect size/power combo for focus usage.. great as a night dive light too. Also the red beam is super useful, a lot of crits are scared/annoyed of white light. Really like Sola (L&M) support as well - they are super helpful (even with 2nd hand lights ;] ).

That said, nowadays market has expanded a lot, so there is plenty of alternatives, especially if you are looking for something with higher power, like the iTorch suggested above.

#6 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't tried support at L&M so maybe I'll contact them about my Sola before I completely give up on it.  I do like the idea of having the UV in addition to the red and white lights.  Not sure how often I'd use that though.

Nikon D850, Nauticam housing, 2x Inon z240, Sigma 15mm, Nikkor 60mm + 105mm, SMC
www.andydeitsch.com

#7 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

I forgot to mention that the iTorch battery lasts forever. Just don't put them backwards in the charger, our dive shop had a pretty serious fire after doing that. It exploded out of the charger and bounced around the room with fire. But I think the newer batteries may have fixed this bug? I drew a BIG plus symbol on mine. 

I've used the UV light maybe once in the water. Mostly I turn it on by accident, "oh yeah, it has UV." 

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#8 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I haven't tried support at L&M so maybe I'll contact them about my Sola before I completely give up on it.  I do like the idea of having the UV in addition to the red and white lights.  Not sure how often I'd use that though.

Try..they have changed a casing on one of my lights completely for free..and light was waaaay out of warranty. Also if its just the battery that is dead, you could even fix it yourself - there is a few dive shops round that sell those batteries. Otherwise perhaps L&M can have a look at it, since you are in US, it will be even easier to get it looked at.

As for UV...strongly recommend reading below before you venture there...and be careful...once you start fluro diving that's it, a normal night dive will seem super boring :P

http://sb.fluomedia.org/fluolinks/

Also, a great comparison of yellow filters here - you need one for your camera:

https://www.uni-due....FinalUSApdf.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by makar0n, 03 July 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#9 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

If it's out of warranty, they'll repair it for a flat charge (around half of a new one) but the postage can be pricey, or offer a trade in percentage to trade up to a new model.  They're very fast and you'll get back a virtually new light depending on the problem.  There's also a reset procedure that can often fix the problems.  Worked for me on one light, another I had to get repaired.  Give them a call or e-mail.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#10 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

I have the Weefine 2300 smart focus lamp and like it very much. White/Red and even Blue for fluorescene.

It is the first lamp with red LEDs that I have and I am impressed: I use red as standard for daytime macro focus ligth and evn at nigth dives I use more than 50% the red LED as main ligth. So I am able to get nice photos of ligth avoiding animals as shrimp and even basketstars...

The 2300 lumen white ligth is plenty to use as main ligth for nigth dives and even, at a pich, works for video (so far I make video sequences only occasionally).

Wolfgang

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

I have inquires a repair of my sola video 1200
$150 plus shipping costs will get you a refurbished light
Am sending one in myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

I have inquires a repair of my sola video 1200
$150 plus shipping costs will get you a refurbished light
Am sending one in myself

Good info, thanks!

www.andydeitsch.com

#13 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:50 PM

+1 for the iTorch 6+ 2800 lumen light.  It's simple, durable, and has great battery life.  2 hours runtime easy, and you can swap out the battery between dives.  I solved the charger problem by purchasing a 3rd party charger with reverse connection protection for $15.  https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Sola 1200 is also great, and I have successfully replaced my own battery with a $20 ebay purchase.  About 5 minutes with a soldering iron is all it takes.

davehicks@hotmail.com

#14 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

To be honest you don’t need to spend a fortune on focus lights and definitely you don’t need power. Even 200 lumens are ok for most situations unless you want to use for video
One thing that is useful is shutoff with flash as the focus light does alter the white balance of the picture and may even burn highlights if too strong. Am not sure there are any but for macro the built in light if my inon strobes works just fine so have not bothered using the sola at all

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#15 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:11 AM

To be honest you don’t need to spend a fortune on focus lights and definitely you don’t need power. Even 200 lumens are ok for most situations unless you want to use for video
One thing that is useful is shutoff with flash as the focus light does alter the white balance of the picture and may even burn highlights if too strong. Am not sure there are any but for macro the built in light if my inon strobes works just fine so have not bothered using the sola at all

That's often true, but I use the "focus light" on my camera as my primary dive light as well.  In locations like the UK or PNW where we have dark and murky waters a powerful light is required.  A strong flood is great for lighting up the reef and getting true colors for the eye, not just the camera.

Edited by davehicks, 08 July 2018 - 11:27 AM.

davehicks@hotmail.com

#16 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

That's often true, but I use the "focus light" on my camera as my primary dive light as well.  In locations like the UK or PNW where we have dark and murky waters a power light is required.  A strong flood is great for lighting up the reef and getting true colors for the eye, not just the camera.

That’s exactly how I use my sola more as a dive light to that regard I like the narrow beam option

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#17 dirkhh

dirkhh

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

Another vote for the Sola series. They have the occasional quality issue (I lost my 1200 and replaced it with a 2000 and that one has lost its "spot" mode...) but my experience with their service has been very positive.

#18 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

I am very partial to the Kraken Sports Hydra 5000 Plus WSRU focus light. Pretty much covers all the bases - Beam Angle: 110 Degrees Underwater (flood) 15 Degrees Underwater (spot), Burn Time: 60 minutes @ 100% flood, Depth Rating: 330ft/100m

#19 dmshore

dmshore

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

I have to put in a vote for the Fix Neo Mini 1000.  I have mine mounted on my cold shoe.  You can get it in both a white/red or all-white spot/wide version.  I have one of each.  Both settings can be put on at 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%.  Additionally, the light has an auto-off feature that senses your strobe and shuts down, so it won't affect the exposure.  The light is bright enough that is functions as my dive light.  I agree with posters above that having a red options is very useful for some creatures, although I have to say that my EM-1 often has a tough time locking focus with red light.  I generally only use it for one night dive before recharging, so I'm not certain of how the battery life will hold up for multiple dives in a row, but I've never had an issue with it lasting for one dive.

#20 unregistered

unregistered

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

I love my FIT light from Taiwan. Mounted on the cold shoe. Serves perfectly well as a primary light during night dives. The UV mode makes for pretty cool looking coral shots!