Need advice on Fisheye / Wide angle lens for D850

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Photography, Sailing, Snowboarding, Travel, Red Wine, Cooking

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hello!

So I am shooting the Nikon D850 in a Nauticam housing and have been told the Tokina 10-16mm lens is un-fit for this camera due to the high resolution of the camera... Is there anyone out there that can explain this further to me?

Should I really be looking at the Sigma 15 or the Nikon 8-15mm?

Furthermore, does anyone have any experience with the Nauticam N120 8.5-inch Acrylic Dome on the D850? I am concerned about weight with a glass port and I want to do Split Shots so I have my eye on this port.

Any info on using the Tokina on the D850 or opinions on the Sigma over the Nikno 8-15 are much appreciated. I like to get advice from other shooters (who aren't the ones trying to sell me the products) :).

Cheers-

Hank

-Scoobz

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

Read this: http://wetpixel.com/...by-jack-connick

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Although I didn't address it in the D850 article, the 8.5" acrylic will shoot about like the Zen DP170. I shot it on my D800 with the Sigma 15mm FE and it's fine. However, it is so light as it creates a large bubble at the front of the housing that ends up twisting the housing up. It'll be worse on the D850 which is much lighter. The 8.5" will not work well with any of the mid-range zooms either with poor corners.

My choice is a 230mm Glass dome. The camera shoots very well with it and it balances well. The larger the dome, the better you can shoot over-unders. If you're just going to shoot the Nikon 8-15 or Sigma 15, then the Zen 170 or Nauticam 140 glass domes work well and are smaller for CF/WA shots.

BTW, while the Tokina can shoot at around 12mm on FX cameras, but it doesn't have anywhere near the resolution that the FX lenses have, especially for the D850.

Edited by JackConnick, 03 July 2018 - 06:14 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#4 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Photography, Sailing, Snowboarding, Travel, Red Wine, Cooking

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Jack! That's great info and your last sentence answered the real question about the Tokina... As I was fearing, it looks like it's time to upgrade my lens'... 

BTW, while I have your attention, what other lens do you recommend for shooting Wide Angle Video (Sharks, Mantas etc)?

-Hank

-Scoobz

#5 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hank, those are all in the article with examples. Most people shoot the 16-35, I like the 17-35, but I had very good results with my 60mm behind a small dome in clear water.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#6 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Thanks all. I am about to pull the trigger on the Zen 170 Dome with the Nikon 8-15 and the Nikon 16-35... and of course the proper extension...

I just need to research the Nikon 20mm prime a little bit more before I turn over my CC # :)

-H

Edited by SCUBA Hank, 10 July 2018 - 04:11 PM.

-Scoobz

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2180 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

Hi Hank

Just to pick up Jack's point on shooting with the 16-35, do be aware that using 170-sized dome with this lens is likely to result in soft corners. I used the 16-35 on a D800 in a Subal housing with an 8" dome and the corners were horrible even with the correct extension ring and a diopter. It's ok if the edges of the image are nondescript background - eg just the blue. But if there is a reef or, say, divers then the softness is very apparent. I had to upgrade to the much larger 230 dome to get over the problem. The Sigma 15mm is fine with an 8" dome however. The Nikkor 8-15 I don't know.

Just be aware if you are going to go with that Zen 170 and use the 16-35.... the results may not be great.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#8 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

Tim! I appreciate your reply and honesty... I have been spending so much time trying to justify the costs of everything that I was making the wrong decisions. 

Today I ordered the ZEN 230 Glass Port for the 16-35 and bit the bullet... Not point in doing it wrong right?  Your reply came after I ordered it (and after a bottle of wine) so that helps me feel better about the decision... 

Next I need to figure out what Dome to get for the 8-15 but that is less of a rush for me.

Cheers!

H

-Scoobz

#9 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:15 PM

Tim! I appreciate your reply and honesty... I have been spending so much time trying to justify the costs of everything that I was making the wrong decisions. 

Today I ordered the ZEN 230 Glass Port for the 16-35 and bit the bullet... Not point in doing it wrong right?  Your reply came after I ordered it (and after a bottle of wine) so that helps me feel better about the decision... 

Next I need to figure out what Dome to get for the 8-15 but that is less of a rush for me.

Cheers!

H

You can use a large dome with the 8-15 fisheye. In fact the results will be better than with a smaller dome. Even with just 12 Mp and the smaller DX format I got better results (as in sharp all the way to the edges of the frame) with a superdome compared to all the smaller ones.

Tom

Watch this video:

http://wetpixel.com/...thout-the-drone

Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#10 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2180 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

Cheers!

H

LOL, I trust it was a nice bottle of wine, Hank.

Yeah, good call I'd suggest on biting that bullet. When I moved to the D800 some time back, I was so disappointed after my first trip (to the Red Sea) with the WA images - which is the majority in the Red Sea., The edges with an 8" dome and the 16-35 were just crummy. The 230 dome is significantly better although it is a bitch to travel with.

According to Subal and their port recommendations, the Nikkor 8-15 will work with either a 230 dome or an 8". I'm intrigued as to whether it will work with a 100/4" dome..... 

Tim

#11 Squalo305

Squalo305

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:34 PM

I just bought the zen 230mm for the 16-35, and I am in the same crossroads as you are, dont know if It is a better choice sigma 15 or nikon 8-15. I know the sigma doesnt need anything extra, but the 8-15 needs a zoom gear on my nauticam. If I get the 8-15 will the shades of the 230mm dome show up in 8mm?? Do I need to get the 100mm dome for it?

#12 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1012 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

I just bought the zen 230mm for the 16-35, and I am in the same crossroads as you are, dont know if It is a better choice sigma 15 or nikon 8-15. I know the sigma doesnt need anything extra, but the 8-15 needs a zoom gear on my nauticam. If I get the 8-15 will the shades of the 230mm dome show up in 8mm?? Do I need to get the 100mm dome for it?

Yes, the shade will be seen in 8mm pix. At 8mm the angle of view is almost 180 degrees all the way around the image and not just at the diagonals as at 15mm. Find out if the shade can be removed - many can.

Oceanography & Limnology

#13 jwalker

jwalker

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Once you settle on lenses the next step is to consult the Nauticam port chart for Nikon lenses. For each lens they recommend the best port and will show other configurations that work. 

JW

#14 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

So it's official, I got the Zen 230 port, the Nikon 16-35 lens and the 8-15... Now I need to get a 2nd job!

Off to Fiji in a few weeks.. Stay tuned for the results :) thanks for all the info!

-Scoobz

#15 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

Welcome to the club! I just ordered nearly the same setup....I'm excited to hear about your first results....And hopefully my wife never asks about the total costs...
Sascha

Edited by SMY, 20 July 2018 - 09:22 AM.

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#16 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2180 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to the club! I just ordered nearly the same setup....I'm excited to hear about your first results....And hopefully my wife never asks about the total costs...
Sascha

Another member of the "it was an unbelievable bargain, honey" club  :crazy:

We should print a t-shirt

Tim