• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Akoni

Akoni

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

Does this mean that the D7200 will fit into the other D7100 housings that are on the market as well?  It would indeed be exceptional that a camera upgrade not automatically necessitates a new housing.

Same thing happened with the GH3 to GH4 jump. If you have good ergonomics, I'd rather camera manufacturers spend time/money improving features rather than paying for new molds or tooling.

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

I'd rather camera manufacturers spend time/money improving features rather than paying for new molds or tooling.

It is a noble goal. But probably the most important feature for a lot of housing manufacturers is getting housings on sale ASAP. I have read so many examples on this forum of photographers saying my favourite is brand X, but I bought brand Y because it is on sale now. 

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#23 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

It is a noble goal. But probably the most important feature for a lot of housing manufacturers is getting housings on sale ASAP. I have read so many examples on this forum of photographers saying my favourite is brand X, but I bought brand Y because it is on sale now. 

To start with it would be nice to have for example one standard DLSR camera model per camera manufecturer  (e.g Nikon, Canon, etc.) with the same dimensions and the buttons on the same locations (standard means that the outside configuration  should not change over say 5 years).  With only the inside technology changing between manufecturers (camera brands) or depending on new technical developments. That indeed would be a noble goal. Because why would camera manufecturers take into account the wishes of people that put their cameras in UW housings?

Edited by albert kok, 23 March 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#24 Akoni

Akoni

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

To start with it would be nice to have for example one standard DLSR camera model per camera manufecturer  (e.g Nikon, Canon, etc.) with the same dimensions and the buttons on the same locations (standard means that the outside configuration  should not change over say 5 years).  With only the inside technology changing between manufecturers (camera brands) or depending on new technical developments. That indeed would be a noble goal. Because why would camera manufecturers take into account the wishes of people that put their cameras in UW housings?

Chances are the marketing types will say that if you change the outside 'look' you'll get more sales even on an incremental update. Most candidate cameras (at least 95%?)  will never get near an UW housing.

#25 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2220 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Hi all,

Just to further confirm that the Nikon D7200 will fit in the Nauticam D7100 housing:

http://wetpixel.com/...tibility-update

I think that it is very likely that it will fit into the brands housings too as the D7200's size and button placements are identical to that of the D7100. Of course without physically trying it it is impossible to be absolutely sure.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#26 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hi all,

Just to further confirm that the Nikon D7200 will fit in the Nauticam D7100 housing:

http://wetpixel.com/...tibility-update

I think that it is very likely that it will fit into the brands housings too as the D7200's size and button placements are identical to that of the D7100. Of course without physically trying it it is impossible to be absolutely sure.

Adam

I took my Ikelite D7100 housing to a camera shop and  put in the D7200. Al push buttons seemed to fit nicely.

#27 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

I'd love to know as soon as anyone puts one into a Subal d7100 housing. Thanks!

#28 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

If it fits in one housing, I am sure it fits in all. They are all designed to take the same camera and Nikon have said it is externally the same. 

Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#29 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

Thanks Alex. Then there shouldn't be any slight misalignments if it's an identical body? I'm really happy as it was hard to afford the d7100 upgrade for me last year, but now it looks like it was a really good decision. If it serves me as well as the d300/ND30 Subal has, it will be awesome! I love the d7100/Subal & now the d7200 will be even better. BTW, your review of Nikon d7100/Subal really helped me decide Alex, thanks!

Edited by seagrant, 24 March 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#30 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:56 AM

No problem. I’ll probably order a D7200 in the next few days or so, been too busy so far. And since I have the same housing as you - I can let you know 100% that it fits perfectly (which I 99.9999% fully expect it to) - if you are not instantly going to buy the camera. 

Alex

#31 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

My D7200 fits into my D7100 perfectly and all controls work. Not a surprise, but nice to confirm it. 

11061232_10155442344535713_1839125217394884030_n.jpg

#32 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thanks so much Alex! I will get the 7200 & keep the 7100 as my backup. It will be interesting to see how these new upgrades translate into underwater quality. I'm so glad it fits the ND7100! Is there a review on the horizon?

#33 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

What I heard is that the TTL protocol of Nikon D7200 has changed, meaning that TTL will not work in some D7100 housings like that of Ikelite.

Edited by albert kok, 30 March 2015 - 11:46 PM.

#34 dgfinch

dgfinch

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

For anybody who is as curious as I am in re: this whole TTL thing ... http://bit.ly/d7200_info

#35 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for this info. I just got the  D7200 today and tried it in my D7100 Ikelite housing. All controls seem to work nicely. Havent  tried TTL yet.  But I wont mind if it did not work like in the D7100 housing, since I never use TTLAmsterdam-20150406-02637.jpg

Edited by albert kok, 07 April 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#36 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

Ikelite  now has announced a new housing for the D7200. Customers with existing Ikelite D7100 housings can  have an upgrade for $150 plus the cost of shipping to adapt their old TTL wiring.

Edited by albert kok, 14 April 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#37 dgfinch

dgfinch

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

For folks in the USA who have not yet received the information regarding upgrading your housing: http://www.ikelite.c...7100-d7200.html

#38 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6309 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

I don't recall but does anyone remember if the D7100 fit in the D7000 housing?  Therefore maybe the 7200 would?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#39 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2164 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Ohhh, nice try, Mr Veitch!

Hope you are in top form and life in Bali is excellent.

Best wishes from your old across-the-Straits neighbour

:deadhorse:

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#40 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Hello Everyone,

Albert Kok asks if the D7200 will fit into the other D7100 housings on the market.

I have a D7200 and a Anthis Nexus D7100 housing; they are a perfect fit in every way.

All the best,

Barry