7 replies to this topic

#1 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

At one time it was recommended that rechargeable batteries be used and charged in common sets.

Does this still hold true for newer ones such as PowerX or Eneloops?

Edited by okuma, 21 September 2017 - 03:27 PM.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

I'm not sure, but I still do it.  Force of habit, I guess.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

Why not do it? If nothing else, it should make sure the whole set is at a common lifetime. I take mine and write a number or something with a sharpie so I can keep the sets together.

#4 echo2600

echo2600

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Same here. I'm even a bit overly OCD about it and keep them in sets for both strobes, so both strobes' batteries always have the same life cycle...

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

Yep, like echo2600 and Vondo.....

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 troporobo

troporobo

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'm impressed with the OCD you guys practice!  I use 12 AAs per dive (two strobes and one focus/video light) so have 36 Eneloops in my kit - one set in the gear, one set ready to swap out, one set charging at any given time.  They get jumbled all about and I have never kept track of individual "sets".  Once a year I put them through the reconditioning cycle on a Maha smart charger.  I do about 4-6 dives per month year round and these batteries have been going for 5 years now with no noticeable loss of performance. At a price of roughly $2 per battery, if they all died tomorrow I would have spent $15 a year and would not complain.  But they show no signs of slowing down so I could not be happier and could not be bothered to track them precisely. 

#7 diggy

diggy

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

It is very important to use a charger that can charge each battery equally. There have been issues with some strobes where each has not been charged equally. I had issues twice due to this and had to send the strobe to Japan. Of course they never gave the proper reason why the strobe malfunctioned but a fellow pro photographer friend pointed out the reason. So i now use this charger :

https://www.jaycar.c...-ni-mh/p/MB3551

Eneloops are your best bet Pro's or the white ones.

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#8 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

The latest Eneloop packages are now also coming with a 4-channel charger that looks almost like the old 2-channel charger. For the price, it couldn't be beat. I recondition mine once a year or so in an expensive Maha 8-channel charger too, but that's way to bulky to take along.

I use Eneloops in a lot of stuff around the house too, so I make a point before a dive trip, to exchange dive and non-dive batteries. I've been using them for 7 years now I think and have not had a single casualty.