139 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

The Panasonic LUMIX GH5 was announced yesterday for release in early 2017.

http://www.panasonic.../lumix/gh5.html

• 4k 50p/60p
  • 4:2:2 10-bit in-camera
  • Looks like no 6K other than in "6K PHOTO" mode
  • New body design which will almost certainly mean it won't fit GH4 housings
  • No mention of the new 5-axis Dual I.S. 2 IBIS that's in the G80/G81/G85. Would seem strange not to include it in the flagship camera.

I may get it, chiefly for the 60p @ 4k. I really hope the auto-focus and underwater colour rendition are improved, as these are my 2 biggest issues with the GH4 for underwater use.

Edited by Nick Hope, 19 September 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:08 AM

Looks promising. But I don't think I'll be pre-ordering - just yet. There are still a few unknowns which I had hoped would be mentioned yesterday.

Apart from your list:

• V-LOG (rumours from the floor - it will be paid upgrade again)
  • Crop Factor in 4K modes (no mention)
  • It will require the newer UHS-II Type cards (looks like they tried to cover that sticker up and failed.)
  • No word on compression
  • Dynamic range / Better low light

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:25 AM

The 4K 60fps on the GH5 is only 8-bit. I was just thinking about it yesterday, Panasonic should have just give us H.265 in addition to H.264. This is so that user can shoot 4K at 60fps using H.265 without the bottleneck of memory speed and storage capacity. I would think H.265 would take off end of this year or 2017.  I'm going to wait for GH6, by then, it would be either 6K, or 4K 60fps (or 90fps), or HDR 4K?

#4 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

No word on internal image stabilization either. Younger sisters already have it.
I heard the body is slightly different, so I guess we would need to get a brand new housing....

I guess H.265 is the way to go on compression if now we have to deal with 422 10 bits, but no news about that yet... Am I right?

#5 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

I heard the body is slightly different, so I guess we would need to get a brand new housing....

Same housing as GH3/GH4 happens once in a blue moon...

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:29 AM

Rumours so far
* Dual IS like the GX80/85
* Full Size HDMI Socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Rumours so far
* Dual IS like the GX80/85
* Full Size HDMI Socket

Both would be welcome.

I could have sworn I read someone on here say that the 4:2:2 10-bit in-camera will not be for the full 4k 60p. Must have dreamed it or read it elsewhere. Would make sense though, as 4:2:2 10-bit 4k 60p must surely require a big leap in data rate over what we have now. Maybe 4:2:2 10-bit will be limited to 1080p, like as All-I is now. Something has to give.

I dreamed something about a different card format as well, that they tried but failed to conceal on the prototype. Can anyone enlighten?

#8 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

Yes. You're right. 4:2:2 10bit will not be for 4k@60.

And yes the card format will be SDXC UHS-II.

It was on one of the Facebook GH4 groups I think I saw this info / photos

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:04 PM

Thanks. So in my case, the 4:2:2 10bit is rather irrelevant, since I'd only want to shoot 4k 60p underwater. I'm not as crazy for that as others are anyway. 4:2:0 8-bit serves me well enough for YouTube with careful white balance and color correction.

So the card is still an SD card variant, and not something big and super expensive. No problem with that.

#10 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

Both would be welcome.

I could have sworn I read someone on here say that the 4:2:2 10-bit in-camera will not be for the full 4k 60p. Must have dreamed it or read it elsewhere. 

It's on the original Pana press release linked above.

Panasonic today announced that it has developed a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) Camera LUMIX GH5 that is capable of recording smooth, high-precision 4K 60p/50p and faithful 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video*3 for the first time in the world*1.

*3 In 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#11 EspenB

EspenB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

<p>

Looks promising. But I don't think I'll be pre-ordering - just yet. There are still a few unknowns which I had hoped would be mentioned yesterday.

Apart from your list:

• V-LOG (rumours from the floor - it will be paid upgrade again)
  • Crop Factor in 4K modes (no mention)
  • It will require the newer UHS-II Type cards (looks like they tried to cover that sticker up and failed.)
  • No word on compression
  • Dynamic range / Better low light

A crop in 4k is unlikely as the announcement includes a full frame photo ready out mode called 6k photo.

Therese is strong reason to belive that the multi aspent ratio sensor design from GH2 is back. Your shoots Will be wider than ever.

#12 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

It's on the original Pana press release linked above.

Panasonic today announced that it has developed a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) Camera LUMIX GH5 that is capable of recording smooth, high-precision 4K 60p/50p and faithful 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video*3 for the first time in the world*1.

*3 In 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording.

Thanks. Great for the 24p "film look" shooter then, but not great for the 50/60p "TV look" shooter. Still, it's a lot to offer in camera. I hope they don't go too far with the compression to make 4:2:2 10-bit 4K fit into a reasonable bit rate/file size. I wonder if any of the 1080 modes will have it.

#13 A.Y.

A.Y.

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

4Kp60  :dancing:  :notworthy:

#14 tamas970

tamas970

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

Same housing as GH3/GH4 happens once in a blue moon...

Unfortunately you're right :(. Otherwise I'd consider upgrading my na-rx100iv setup, but my GAS healed enough to dismiss a 6k$ investment (camera, housing, ports...).

#15 recd

recd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

http://youtu.be/DTyZxVCBduo

4K 422 internally and dual image stabilisation. Looks like a significant upgrade over the GH4

#16 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2239 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

That's a really good video and the camera specs are amazing for the price. It's bigger so I very much doubt it's going to fit existing housings. One thing that is disappointing is that the 5-axis stabliization won't work with existing lenses like the 12-35mm.

Some things I still want to know...

1. Will the summer firmware upgrade of "400Mbps 4K 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra" do 60p or just a higher bit rate at 30p and less? I haven't seen this actually stated anywhere.
  2. Will it show peaking in autofocus mode, not just manual focus mode? This is something I have longed for on the GH4.
  3. Will the autofocus actually work well in video mode?
  4. Will the underwater white balance be any better than the GH4?

Edited by Nick Hope, 04 January 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#17 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

That's a really good video and the camera specs are amazing for the price. It's bigger so I very much doubt it's going to fit existing housings. One thing that is disappointing is that the 5-axis stabliization won't work with existing lenses like the 12-35mm.

Some things I still want to know...

1. Will the summer firmware upgrade of "400Mbps 4K 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra" do 60p or just a higher bit rate at 30p and less? I haven't seen this actually stated anywhere.
  2. Will it show peaking in autofocus mode, not just manual focus mode? This is something I have longed for on the GH4.
  3. Will the autofocus actually work well in video mode?
  4. Will the underwater white balance be any better than the GH4?

5.Will the back button focus work while recording?

#18 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for posting Recd. Really informative video, every video I watch we are learning more and more.

Nick, I think The 5axis+OIS Dual-IS will work with the MK1 12-35mm just not the Dual-IS2 (so 4.5stops not 5.5stops - I think)

As to point 1. Nick. The 60fps Internally will only ever be 8Bit 4:2:0 from listen / watching other videos. Good to see we will get 10Bit 60fps from the HDMI!

As to point 5. Etc. The GH4 can do this since the last FW update. You need to assign the AF/AE button to 'AF Lock' and even while recording in MF, you can force a AF.

My wish list:

6. AutoISO in Full Manual Movie Mode
7. Aperture / Shutter values shown if using A/S modes (currently does not)

Just the IBIS, better low light and now full width use of the sensor are enough to warrant the upgrade. Such a shame a new housing will be required...

Edited by thetrickster, 04 January 2017 - 11:44 PM.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#19 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

My wish list:

6. AutoISO in Full Manual Movie Mode

It's there.

Read here: http://www.personal-...#Comment_229070

#20 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

It's there.

Read here: http://www.personal-...#Comment_229070

As usual, that thread is the best place to get info on GH5. Thera are at least two guys who had the chance to test a pre-production models weeks ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5, Panasonic, Panasonic GH5, Panasonic LUMIX GH5, DMC-GH5