Ocean Heaven - Socorro Island

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

Finally finished my most recent project, enjoy!

Underwater Shot is done by Panasonic LX100, top side is combination of GH4, Yi 4K+ and Samsung Galaxy S6.

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

Nice images. Incredible place.

Do you recommend a trip with them?

Water is very green, isn't it?

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

If you're low on budget, Solmar V is reasonable, but their food is okay, and facility could be limited in term of comfort. I was lucky to have a great dive master, he knows when and where to avoid strong current, and "listen" for dolphin. I heard good thing about Nautilus Explorer, definitely should shop around. I joined a group of divers and paid around US$3600 for the liveaboard itself.

The water in May could be cold, it's around 23C (75F), people diving with 5 mm would still get cold because we have a lot of overcast, so our wetsuit never get dry. The water did not turn green but visibility got worse the last part of the trip, and sea got rough. The rough sea did help push all the marine life closer to the island especially in Roca Partida, where we get to snorkel and dive with False Killer Whale for 2 days (was told it's a rare thing to happen).

When we got to La Paz early June, the water there turned green. I would say early to mid May would be the latest you want to go there. I think the water warm up in November, but you would see different stuff there. Hope that help!

#4 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Great video Moses.

I read from facebook of Solmar V that they saw lots and lots of sharks at Roca Partida in mid May of this year, have you heard about this?

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:20 AM

Hi kkfok,

During my trip, we caught the tail end of the action (hence lucky to see False Killer Whale). I missed whole afternoon of dive in Roca Partida due sea sick and was too cold (I made up the next day to catch some action). Some people on the trip counted that there were total of 6 different sharks:

- White tip

- Silver tip

- Hammer head

- Galapagos

(forgot the other 2).

It was a challenging environment for me so I didn't pay attention to the shark encounter since they're so far into the blue, my bottom time was bad due to being cold, so I stuck closer to the island/rock area because if I swim into the blue to check out the sharks, I will have to deal with strong current. We had all sort of current, include vortex that you see a trail of bubble swill in between divers.

#6 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Thanks. I have been there twice but both in Jan/Feb and that should be why I did not experience challenging conditions. Your video reminds me my good time there, thanks. I hope I will have chance to go there again, next time in May for sharky Roca Partida.

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:00 AM

I thought about going back to Socorro too, but I will get a drysuit before I go on another liveaboard. I think Jan/Feb should be the same as going in Nov where the water temperature is warmer. Which dive operator did you use the last two times? I only flew my drone once because the Solmar V boat is not a safe place to launch drone due to all metal bars they have, and the front of the boat has strong electrical interference. The videographer on the boat told me he lost his drone to the bird on Socorro Island, and in a month, he saw 5 drones got taken down by birds....... I really want to get a drone shot of the Island hence the desire to go back.

#8 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:57 AM

Moses, water temp was around 23-24C and I was fine with my 5mm full suit plus a 3mm hooded vest.  I went once with Sea Escape and once with MV Valentina and they were both very good operations. I was told that it is not allowed to fly a drone at Socorro Island as there is a military base there, though I flew my drone a couple of times at San Benedicto. It is a really beautiful island. Once my drone attracted the interest of heaps of birds, I guess I was lucky that I didn't lose it. You can check out my youtube channel for the videos if you are interested.

Edited by kkfok, 07 July 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#9 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Excellent video Moses!

Matt

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Matt! Glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by kc_moses, 11 July 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#11 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

Spectacular video! I love your topwater edits and music selection.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#12 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Thanks EvilOtter! The top side could be challenging since we never step on dry land. If there is one thing I learn: shoot all bunch of stuffs, tanks, mask, hose, wetsuit etc. When putting the video together, you never know if you need some fillter/transition clip! :D

#13 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

That's great advice @kc_moses. I never seem to have enough "b-roll" so my films tend to thrust the viewer into the depths too quickly and without context. I am going to work on this during my next dive holiday later this month!

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films