• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonjake

jonjake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

Proceed with caution if your are looking at the Dyron SWAL13 Wet Wide Angle Lens!  I really hate to make a post like this here but I dont want anyone else to end up in this same situation.

I bought one about a year ago very excited about it after reading several reviews online.  I have taken some decent pictures with it, as my eye became more trained and I shot with it more, I started noticing that its focus was pretty soft relative to other wet lens I have used (Nauticam WWL-1 & CMC-1)  I posted about that here: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=59530

Bad went to worse.  I dove with this lens in Monterey this last April and noticed that there was large dot of condensation that formed between two of the elements when exposed to the cold water. Autofocus really doesn't like trying to focus through a cloud.  Below is a picture of a crab under the large dot of condensation from April when I first noticed the problem.

You would assume that wet lens should be well sealed to prevent moisture from getting between the elements.  I don't know if mine has a defect or they are just not well made but its really disappointing. Dyron advertises a 2 year warranty on their website, I have tried to contact them several times with various email address and have gotten no responses. I have also tried to see if several US vendors have a way of getting ahold of them and they have had no luck.

Before making this post I decided to do a test to confirm this condensation problem.  I put the lens in a bowl of ice water, within a minute or so the dot of condensation clearly started forming in the center between the 2 elements.

I am now stuck with a big useless piece of fairly expensive glass that I cannot sell.

20170422_crab_8120.jpg

Edited by jonjake, 09 July 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

Hi Jonjake, sorry you have a hard time with your WA lens. I had a negative experience with Bluewater that the product they sell does not necessary work with the camera, even if their website listed so (I would call it false advertisement).

Anyway, I was interested in the Dyron SWAL13 before but I found an alternative. The alternative is Opteka 72mm 0.3x, here is the link:

https://www.bhphotov...=REG&sku=673947

The Opteka lens is designed for land use, when I first brought into the water, it did flood. Just like your SWAL13, the Opteka has 2 pieces of glass (The SWAL13 do look similar to the Opteka, right?) I ended up took apart the Opteka lens, fill the space in between the glass with water, close it, then put a thin ring of silicone caulk around the edge where the two glass piece touch, let the caulk dry, then put everything back together. The Opteka lens work in water now, but there is a tiny air bubble inside (the water must have some tiny air bubble) depend on how I tilt the lens, the air bubble tend to float to the edge of the lens, away from the field of view of the camera. For $160, the Opteka get the job done. I have a m4/3 sensor (Panasonic LX100), so I have to get the 72mm version then use a 72mm-67mm step down ring to attach to my housing. Once the Opteka works in the water, it does give a bit of soft corner, so I can zoom in a bit to minimize the problem.

Anyway, the point is, since your SWAL13 is "useless" at this point, you might as well see if you can make the similar modification I made. This is how to take apart the fisheye lens (If your SWAL13 is indeed similar to the Opteka):

Good luck!

Moses

PS: This is the video I shot with the Opteka, I have my camera set at 24mm, since then, I start shooting at 28mm to minimize the soft corner issue:

#3 jonjake

jonjake

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

Moses,

Thanks for the tip.  I might try this when have some time.  I am curious why you decided to fill the gap with water rather than just leaving air in there and sealing it? 

The Dyron SWAL13 looks suspicious similar to Opteka lens you linked to above but costs approximately 4 times as much.

I will let you know how this goes if I end up doing it!  Nice video by the way!

Thanks,

Jon

swal13.jpg

Edited by jonjake, 11 July 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

HI Jon,

I thought about fill the gap with air, but I'm concern about humidity and moist air get trap inside. I was rush to get on a trip to Socorro and I suspect the water there would be cold. Cold water + humid air trap in the dome, I would have the same condensation problem as your SWAL13. So far I haven't had the need to shoot into the sun yet, so the tiny air bubble in mine doesn't bother me much. I'm sure you can fill the gap with air as long as you can have access to really dry environment, I live in Florida so even in air condition room, the humidity would still be about 50%.

Moses