Photo
- - - - -

Fluorescence filters for Weefine 2300 lamp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:08 AM

I have a Weefine 2300 smartfocus lamp which I use as focus ligth (red LEDs) as well as for nigth dives and at the pinch as video ligth (white LEDs).

The lamp also has UV LEDs (power is 18W) and I am curious to test it out for fluorescence. Which filters are required to put on the lens? Just a standard green filter (with broad spectrum of transmission) or are special filters required??

Thanks for advice, Wolfgang :)

#2 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

If i'ts a real UV then you don't need filters at all :)

If its blue (rather than UV) then yellow one. Blue lights are much more popular in general (i.e Sola Nightsea for example) as they are 4 times stronger.

If you are using  a blue one, can recommend getting a sandwich fluro filters for strobes...light is nice, but ultimately it will be too weak...I use mine as a spot light,and then flash with Z240's

Enjoy fluro...i personally don't do "normal" night dives no more, just blue stuff :)

#3 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Makaron for the advice.

Weefine says it is UV, but when I switch it on I can see blue ligth (I was already wondering why I am able to see the invisible UV :mocking:...).

From where can one get the "Sandwich fluro filters", in my case it would be for two Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobes (preferentially from Europe)?

#4 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

hmm test it on something that glows, before you start buying stuff...as it can make a serious hole in your pocket :)

never had UV lamp but think the beam should be purplish kinda. Either way, if it's real UV you should be able to see fluorescence with your naked eye.

as for fluro...read the below, really good source of all kind of information on fluo diving

http://sb.fluomedia.org/fluolinks/

as for yellow filters, this guy did an awesome comparison of different ones....you can choose one depending on the wavelength of your light. Color wise it will either remove all the blue leaving just green/red  or you will get a bit of  purplish background...depending which wavelength is filtered.

https://www.uni-due....FinalUSApdf.pdf

I have two - Big Blue (generic, think equivalent to Tiffen 12) and B+W 022. Big Blue gives me a bit of purple, B+W pure green. That is with the strobes, light only they are both green.

He also sells some blue lights, but never tested these. Considering his knowledge they might be very good though.

As for filters, I am using sandwich ones from Firedivegear. He has some for D1 strobes:

http://firedivegear....itation-filter/

There is also a flip model. Think they fit D2 but he also does custom ones so pretty flexible. One thing is he is based in US so shipping (plus customs....) might be a bit of a pain. He did have a partner in Netherlands that one could order from but dunno if that's still the option. Drop him and email and ask. Good service though, when glass in one broke (might have been screwed too tight...) , he mailed replacement one at no charge.

There is another company, H2O that does filters in Europe. They look pretty much the same but no idea if it is the same design (at least for Z240). GF just ordered these so she will be testing them for the next few weeks, can report then, albeit she is using different strobes (Symbiosis SS-2).

http://www.h2o-tools...000-z-240-blitz

There are some more designs out there so just look through that first website, plenty of links :)

Good luck!

Edited by makar0n, 15 July 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

Thank you Makar0n for the perfect introduction!

#6 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

enjoy :)

Remind me in a week or two then will post how did the H2O filter pan out with SS-2 strobes

#7 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Well a quick update - stay away from H2O filters. Absolute waste of money. GF is really pissed off as she has spent 200 Euro on these and they won't excite fluorescence at all :S They in fact remind me very much of similar Dyron filters (25 Euro or so) - same piece of shit.