• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

7 divers went missing 4 days ago, diving off Lembongan.  5 were found at Manta Point and 1 found dead today. 1 still missing.  Hopefully they'll find the last diver alive!

http://goo.gl/AU2e6s

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 eyu

eyu

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

This is a tragedy and in my opinion could have been avoided.  One, the dive boat should not have left the dive site and two if a member of the dive team carried a Nautilus they could have radioed for help upon surfacing.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS & Carbon Arms

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Ok, that Nautilus spark my curiosity. Is it better than ACR ResQLink+? I read in other forum that diver use a canister to hold the ResQLink+ to make it diving proof.

#4 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I have a Lifeline and the thing I like about it is that it allows you to communicate directly with vessels in the vicinity.  All satelite based systems alert an operations center that then has to coordinate a rescue. That may work great when you are in a developed country with good search and rescue infrastructre, but I am skeptical about how well that works in many of the remote locations that divers visit.  Do you really think that a satellite operations center in Nebraska will be able to communciate with a panga in Indonesia that happens to be a mile from you?  The advantage of VHF solution + GPS is that it will work everwhere there are marine radios (i.e. everywhere), even if they are ancient.  That being said, I have only used my Lifeline for "radio check.... radio check..."   :-)

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks! For $300, I think it's worth a try. It would be good to use as a walkies talkie as well. When I was in Thailand, our dinghy motor broke down (gas mixed with water), we waved at our liveaboard mothership like monkeys and they can't see us. Luckily there were fisher boats and other dive boats around to go send the message to have us pick up, but we were still stuck on the water for a good 45 minutes on a 95 degree day!

#6 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2211 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

I've been carrying a Lifeline recently, and although it is early days for me, I think it is great.

Most lost diver scenarios can be overcome with communication. The added DSC calling facility linked to GPS could be a real life saver.

However, without wanting to speculate too widely, it would seem that this terrible incident was a classic case of experienced divers and boat crews, in a familiar environment, forgetting for a moment that things like weather and sea state changes can make benign environments very challenging. Very early on, one of me instructors (Harvey Livschitz if you are still around) that the "sea always wins." As an axiom, it has prevented me from getting too comfortable on many occasions.

Our thoughts go out to the friends and family of the diver that was lost, and we hope for a speedy recovery for those that were rescued.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I read the report, those that get rescue seems to be in good spirit as they were laughing and joking according to the report. I'm just surprise about the dive operation. I thought it's a norm (especially in South East Asia) where you always have a dive guide/crew from the dive operator accompany the divers. So the boat/captain wouldn't leave one of the own stranded at the sea. But in this case, the dive boat seems acting like a water taxi, just carry divers out and let divers be on their own?

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Been using Lifelines for a while now.  They are the most useful items that I've luckily never had to use in an emergency (fun.. on the other hand :)).  The range isn't great but it does work.

As for this unfortunate incident, it does bring up the safety issues of diving in Bali (or anywhere).  There are many dive ops in Bali like Yellow Scuba rent their boats whenever they have clients.  The biggest ops have their own boats, but even they rent occasionally, usually hiring the more experienced boat skippers.  These boats tend to be double as leisure crafts as well, so the skippers aren't always very experienced with divers.   A good ops will usually have someone on board to oversee safety. Due to the rising cost of fuel (even in subsidized Indonesia) and space concerns, many of these boats for hire don't carry much in terms of spare fuel, even though they have to run in the 1.5+ svenrdups throughflow of Bali Straits.  Stick with ops that run their own boats.  There are diving deaths at Lembongan/Ceningan/Penida every year unfortunately, due to the very bad combination of bad operators, inexperienced divers and very difficult conditions.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2361 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

I carry a lifeline. Routine conversations work well.

Never tried the red button.  

Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website