• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex87

Alex87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:50 AM

Hi guys, looking at purchasing a Meikon underwater housing for my Fuji X-T20. Has anyone here had any experience with their products? Would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
Alex

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:47 AM

I have a Meikon/SeaFrogs housing for Sony A6xxx series and it's great, but their housing for Fuji X-T20 is one of their older designs - it has a fixed port with a rectangular front element, so you can only use the kit 16-50mm and you can't even use wet lenses, zoom and focus knobs are located in the front rather than on the side, there's no access to viewfinder, no vacuum port, shutter is actuated with a button rather than a lever... plus the overall quality on older Meikon housings tends to be not as good as on their newer models. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, that's the only housing for X-T20 on the market, so if you want to take it underwater, you may need to upgrade to X-T2 or change systems.

#3 gsdive

gsdive

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

I've got the meikon housing for the Canon T3i.  My first DSLR and my first housing.  I used it on a few local shallow lake dives (Wisconsin) and have gotten decent results.  (Quality of photos having everything to do with quality of the operator rather than quality of the housing  :) ).  I'd have to agree with Barmaglot's comments.  Cons are fixed port, button shutter release - which can be a bit of a finger stretch especially with gloves and no control for the control wheel. All of the functions can be accessed through the various buttons/menus but not having the control wheel is cumbersome.  The fixed port I don't find to be a real issue as anything I'm photographing right now the 18-55 kit lens is fine. (And the only other lens I have is 75-300 so that isn't really an UW option anyway.)  It is also VERY buoyant - even with 2 ys-90s and tray it still floats, although that may be a positive from a certain perspective.  The design of the housing doesn't allow for good use of the viewfinder so live view is really the only option.

The real pro is the price.

Edited by gsdive, 31 December 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#4 ReefSnapper

ReefSnapper

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

I have the new Meikon Salted housing for a6000. So far so good for over 30 dives. Salted Housing is rated deeper than old SeaFrogs housings.
I had problems with fogging because it is polycarbonate.. I was able to overcome that with Anti fog inserts.
Also you have to be very particular to get all the buttons to line up.
The only downside to the case is the limited number of ports available for different lenses.

#5 ReefSnapper

ReefSnapper

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:57 PM

PS ..the meikon Salted housing has a vacuum port.. I have not used it yet

#6 Alex87

Alex87

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

So I went to Hong Kong, traded my X-T20 for an X-T2 and bought the Meikon housing with the dome port. Took it for a first dive without the camera and a second one with the camera and an archon video light and got some good results. I went back underwater yesterday and went down to about 30m to find out the lever for the shutter release was somehow out of alignment and unable to shoot anything. Rechecked everything during the surface interval, went back under and everything seemed to work fine until I reached about 13m and then the shutter release wouldnt work anymore. I am in contact with the guy I met in the store and we are trying to find the source of the issue and fix it. He said it is new to them but had this issue yesterday on another housing but were able to align everything properly and it worked on their second dive. Anyone had this problem before??

#7 EstaDive

EstaDive

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

So I went to Hong Kong, traded my X-T20 for an X-T2 and bought the Meikon housing with the dome port. Took it for a first dive without the camera and a second one with the camera and an archon video light and got some good results. I went back underwater yesterday and went down to about 30m to find out the lever for the shutter release was somehow out of alignment and unable to shoot anything. Rechecked everything during the surface interval, went back under and everything seemed to work fine until I reached about 13m and then the shutter release wouldnt work anymore. I am in contact with the guy I met in the store and we are trying to find the source of the issue and fix it. He said it is new to them but had this issue yesterday on another housing but were able to align everything properly and it worked on their second dive. Anyone had this problem before??

I have a similar issue with my Meikon housing for a Canon mirrorless. Below 100ft, the shutter button sticks in the housing making it difficult to do a half-press for focus and requiring you to pull it back up between shots. I found pressing on either the left or the right side of the button can sometimes make it hit better. Once I get above 100ft, it works fine again. I never found a good solution, but most of my dives are not so deep, so I stopped worrying about it.

#8 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2259 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

I have a similar issue with my Meikon housing for a Canon mirrorless. Below 100ft, the shutter button sticks in the housing making it difficult to do a half-press for focus and requiring you to pull it back up between shots. I found pressing on either the left or the right side of the button can sometimes make it hit better. Once I get above 100ft, it works fine again. I never found a good solution, but most of my dives are not so deep, so I stopped worrying about it.

That does sound like a pressure/depth issue.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#9 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hi,
the housing is made of Plastik, so it could easily change the form under the waterpressure... So the Lever button can be a bit out of the planed middle, and so not work.

The Buttons have "weak" springs, so the pressure can start to push them in a bit, so the half way Point is easily reached....

Had a Samsung Plastik housing years ago. Depth rate was 60m. It was waterproof until this, but when you switched the camera on in depth, or during descend, the waterpressure pushed all buttons in, and the camera got an overinput problem. The brain burned throught....
The Company then reduced the operating depth to 40 and later 30 meters....

Regards,
Wolfgang