3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisdarke

chrisdarke

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Hi guys,
I used to use an RX100 in a Nauticam housing with YS-D1 & D2, and then I upgraded to a D500 in an Aquatica housing with an LED Flash trigger and I love not having to deal with the built in camera flash recharge time, and consequent battery drainage.
However sometimes the DSLR setup is pretty bulky when traveling, and I wouldnt mind a backup setup that is more or less compact and as a backup, and whilst I still have the RX100 setup, I would love something with which I can use an LED trigger or a bulkhead connection if that isnt feasible. The only rigs I have seen that have an led trigger seem to be dslr/mirror less..

Cheers!
Chris

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:32 PM

RX100M2 has a flash hotshoe, but it's the only model in the line that does. Panasonic LX100 also has one. Otherwise, many mirrorless cameras are almost as small as a compact when used with a small lens - Olympus PEN series, Sony NEX and A5xxx/A6xxx, etc. Keep in mind, however, that a LED trigger made for one camera brand is unlikely to work with a different brand, particularly where TTL is concerned.

#3 chrisdarke

chrisdarke

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for your reply, it was more a question of which housings support such a setup. Most led triggers need to be correctly aligned and positioned for the led ports to get the trigger through and I looked at compact housings for many cameras including the rx100mk2 which I was aware was the only one in the lineup with a hotshoe, but none of the housings I could find mentioned a led trigger option.. certainly with my aquatica led trigger it would never fit in the pop up flash space of my nauticam housing... so I am looking for a compact housing that supports an led trigger or at least an ikelite type bulkhead connector

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

If I remember correctly, TRT Electronics Turtle trigger has its LEDs on wires, so that they can be freely positioned where needed by the specific housing.