19 replies to this topic

#1 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hi all

I need help with my hugtfot d7000 and 20mm. extension port that stuck in front of the housing and cannot take it off!!. I try many ways to remove it but not work.

Do i need any tools to remove it? or if you have any experience please share.

Thank you in advance.

Ta Pitt

Attached Images

• S__10485770.jpg
  • S__10485769.jpg
  • S__10485771.jpg
  • S__10485772.jpg

#2 scuba_dog

scuba_dog

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi - my strong advice is to put the dome back on, which you can then use as lever to rotate the ring off.. Eventually the ring should move. If that fails, then take it to a dealer - don't use any other tools or you'll damage the ring or worse, the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hi Scuba _ dog
Thank you for your reply. I trt to put dome on and that doesn't work for this case. Actually this part was stuck in my housing for month and i worry that it wilk cause laeking and flood my housing one day. I try so many way to remove it even buy port remover from divervision (see pic below) and that doesn't help me at all. I'm leaving in Thailand so send the housing back to Belgium is quite expensive. I just curious that do people who owned hugyfot housing dosen't have this problem? Or they have but can figure out the easy way to handle it.
If anyone have this problem and can fix it please share your way to me.
14b96c4cec35e96e7e0ef92d0d354d26.jpg

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

#4 swgdesign

swgdesign

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:57 AM

I've never had this problem, but I would assume it is seized due to dust/dried salt in the gaps between the extension and housing. With most things that are seized in place, adding a tiny bit of WD40 help to create lubrication 95% of the time works. 

I imagine as long as you gently fill the open port hole with cloth - say a tshirt etc (protect the inner workings), and spray the wd40 gently and sparsely around the outside of the extension/housing where it screws in, it should be ok....

I have never had this issue, not have I ever used WD40 on a housing, so maybe wait for some others to answer first. 

#5 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

I've never had this problem, but I would assume it is seized due to dust/dried salt in the gaps between the extension and housing. With most things that are seized in place, adding a tiny bit of WD40 help to create lubrication 95% of the time works. 

I imagine as long as you gently fill the open port hole with cloth - say a tshirt etc (protect the inner workings), and spray the wd40 gently and sparsely around the outside of the extension/housing where it screws in, it should be ok....

I have never had this issue, not have I ever used WD40 on a housing, so maybe wait for some others to answer first. 

Thanks swgdesign for your suggestion. I'll try and let you know.

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2441 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

A few thoughts tapitt

I wonder what has caused the problem. Maybe, as swgdesign suggests, it's dried salt. You could then try soaking the housing/port seal area with a mix of white vinegar and water (say 50/50) overnight - and see how that goes. The vinegar is usually easy to find in a supermarket and very cheap. You may then want to replace the port o-ring as the vinegar might weaken it. Not sure if WD40 will soften dried salt - but it is a bit of a miracle worker so worth a go. Again, might be wise to replace the o-ring after.

In either case I'd try and minimise the area that is soaked by the vinegar or WD40.

The other thing you might try is a something for vehicle maintenance such as an oil filter remover (if you google that you'll see what it looks like). You might be able to take your housing to a garage and they might be able to do it for you - or lend you the tool for a few minutes. You may well want to wrap something soft around the port to protect it from damage from the tool.

If the vinegar or WD40 doesn't shift it, the garage tool should do the trick. But if the problem is that the port is cross-threaded (it doesn't look like that from the pic) using the garage tool may well crunch the housing thread which would be, errr, less than helpful. If you think it is that, and sending the housing back for maintenance is problematic, I'd suggest talking to a reliable, truth-worthy mechanic and see what he reckons.

Good luck!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

Thank you all to helping me for this problem. I just finally removed it!!!!!
By use old bladder rubber tighten around the extension port.
But this not solve my problem last long.
Still wonder what's wrong with my housing.
Why this just happen to me only. Hmm curious.ed6d9553cdb209eaf4147b46a2f506f2.jpg85d95224d3331da10f841227a54afe79.jpga0d62a20fe123f4fc062b46738d0f69b.jpg

#8 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:59 AM

A few thoughts tapitt

I wonder what has caused the problem. Maybe, as swgdesign suggests, it's dried salt. You could then try soaking the housing/port seal area with a mix of white vinegar and water (say 50/50) overnight - and see how that goes. The vinegar is usually easy to find in a supermarket and very cheap. You may then want to replace the port o-ring as the vinegar might weaken it. Not sure if WD40 will soften dried salt - but it is a bit of a miracle worker so worth a go. Again, might be wise to replace the o-ring after.

In either case I'd try and minimise the area that is soaked by the vinegar or WD40.

The other thing you might try is a something for vehicle maintenance such as an oil filter remover (if you google that you'll see what it looks like). You might be able to take your housing to a garage and they might be able to do it for you - or lend you the tool for a few minutes. You may well want to wrap something soft around the port to protect it from damage from the tool.

If the vinegar or WD40 doesn't shift it, the garage tool should do the trick. But if the problem is that the port is cross-threaded (it doesn't look like that from the pic) using the garage tool may well crunch the housing thread which would be, errr, less than helpful. If you think it is that, and sending the housing back for maintenance is problematic, I'd suggest talking to a reliable, truth-worthy mechanic and see what he reckons.

Good luck!

Thanks TimG that's much help
I just order one

#9 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2441 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

No worries, tapitt

I hope you can get it sorted out quickly and simply. It sounds an utter pain!

Best wishes

Tim

Tim

#10 jefdriesen

jefdriesen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:28 AM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago (with the exact same housing and port extension). I gently used the same rubber band trick (oil filter tool was too small). Since then I make sure to lube the oring every time and remove the extension ring immediatly after use. Never had the problem anymore since then.
Nikon D7000 - Nikon AF-D 60mm - Tokina 10-17mm - Hugyfot housing - 2x Sea & Sea YS-110 optically triggered

#11 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

I had the same problem a couple of years ago (with the exact same housing and port extension). I gently used the same rubber band trick (oil filter tool was too small). Since then I make sure to lube the oring every time and remove the extension ring immediatly after use. Never had the problem anymore since then.

Then i try to remove port as soon as possible to prevent this problem but sometime after finished dive i have to drive 3 hours back and may not covenience to do that.
Anyway thanks for your suggestion jefdriesan

#12 jefdriesen

jefdriesen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

A couple of hours is no problem. Just not days (or longer than necessary).
Nikon D7000 - Nikon AF-D 60mm - Tokina 10-17mm - Hugyfot housing - 2x Sea & Sea YS-110 optically triggered

#13 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

I have that problem a lot with my Sea & Sea port extensions.  I used to use a giant channel lock wrench cushioned with rags, but have since got a rubber strap wrench at the local hardware store that works quite well.  I take it on all my trips with me.  Plastic handle, long rubber strap folds over.  Trigger tightens the strap, then you just bend it left until it breaks loose.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#14 tapitt

tapitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

I have that problem a lot with my Sea & Sea port extensions.  I used to use a giant channel lock wrench cushioned with rags, but have since got a rubber strap wrench at the local hardware store that works quite well.  I take it on all my trips with me.  Plastic handle, long rubber strap folds over.  Trigger tightens the strap, then you just bend it left until it breaks loose.

Great to hear that just not me facing this problem also thank you for your tip Larry C.

#15 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

The best tool to use is called a "strap wrench"

It uses a plastic or reinforced rubber strap to go around the cylindrical object and is the least damaging tool to use for this application. Usually available in auto parts store. I carry one with me on all trips. Handel has been shortened for eae of use and packing.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#16 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

This is the one I use, though I bought it locally, I think at Home Depot.

https://www.amazon.c...ds=strap wrench

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#17 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

I get exactly the same and treat it exactly as Larry has, sometimes a wrench in needed some not.

What I found increases the problem, is leaving the ports or rings in situ for multiple days. I'm just glad the fit is so perfect that's it's making a good seal lol. Using bad language and calling it names also helps I find !!! Lol

Craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm

#18 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

What I found increases the problem, is leaving the ports or rings in situ for multiple days.

I think that the problem is that the lubricating grease can get displaced away from the sealing 'O' ring when pressure reduces leaving an 'O' ring rubber to metal/plastic contact only. When this happens the resistance to the rotational movement required to remove the port is vastly increased as there is no lubrication and as stated it can be very difficult to remove the port (I've actually used two substantial policemen to do so, which worked a treat but policemen are rarely around when you want them ;)). In my experience, as Craig says, leaving a port or extender in place for many days and dives seems to make things worse - probably by displacing a little more lubricating 'O' ring grease on each dive as pressure reduces and increasing the area of rubber to metal/plastic contact. I have a strap wrench now too for this problem.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#19 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2441 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

I think that the problem is that the lubricating grease can get displaced away from the sealing 'O' ring when pressure reduces leaving an 'O' ring rubber to metal/plastic contact only. When this happens the resistance to the rotational movement required to remove the port is vastly increased as there is no lubrication and as stated it can be very difficult to remove the port (I've actually used two substantial policemen to do so, which worked a treat but policemen are rarely around when you want them ;)). In my experience, as Craig says, leaving a port or extender in place for many days and dives seems to make things worse - probably by displacing a little more lubricating 'O' ring grease on each dive as pressure reduces and increasing the area of rubber to metal/plastic contact. I have a strap wrench now too for this problem.

Funny that, Paul. Every time I drive to North Wales there seems to be police on every lay-by. With speed cameras.

Tim

#20 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, design UW custom gizmos

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:30 AM

WD40 DESTROYS O RINGS !  Check this by putting WD40 on an old O ring, it will swell and degrade.  

To loosen a stuck port, I would try the vinegar as suggested.  Another approach would be to put a solution of vinegar and liquid detergent on the crack between the port and housing, wait some hours, then use the strap wrench.  I carry a strap wrench during trips as it is often necessary to remove ports.

After a dive trip, I seal my housing and immerse it in a tub of water with vinegar, leave it overnight, then rinse it with water, dry and take it apart.  I store it disassembled, with the housing back and front separated, the ports off, so as not to compress the O rings..

When installing, first I clean the O ring grooves, threads and bayonet mounts, the I apply a very light coating of silicon on the O rings.

Good diving!