54 replies to this topic

#21 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

That is impressive.
Any chance to do the same with Sea&Sea DX-D200?

I think it is possible to do but, I did not have access to S&S d200 housing.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#22 dampphotos

dampphotos

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hi Sam,

Great work!

I saw Mark Webster's article on your D300 in a Subal ND20 (D200) kit in UWP Mag issue 44.

He suggested you'd like postings put here.

Are you intending to make any more kits available? If so, do you know when and approximately how much they'll be?

Are you considering shoe-horning a D700 or D90 in?

Mark

#23 photoscubaddict

photoscubaddict

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:56 AM

Hi, Sam !

Same question for a Sea & Sea DX D200 housing ... Did you already try a kit to fit an D 300 inside ? Thanks for the info, I'm very much interested ...

#24 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:21 AM

Same question for a Sea & Sea DX D200 housing ... Did you already try a kit to fit an D 300 inside ? Thanks for the info, I'm very much interested ...

Me too.
Andrzej Czyzyk

www.flickr.com/photos/czyzyk/
D200, Sea&Sea DX-D200, Nikkor 10.5, Nikkor 105 VR, Tokina 12-24, 2xDS-125

#25 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Sam,

If the Subal kit is still available, I'm very interested. Please send (offline) info on pricing, shipping, and installation.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#26 danbrady

danbrady

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

Sam,

If the Subal kit is still available, I'm very interested. Please send (offline) info on pricing, shipping, and installation.

Me too - I'm interested

#27 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Is this all a big hoax - I have sent three PM's to Sam but no response.....

Sam, are you there?

Maybe Subal put a contract out on him.....
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#28 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

Is this all a big hoax - I have sent three PM's to Sam but no response.....

Sam, are you there?

Maybe Subal put a contract out on him.....

Hi,
I replied your PM & sorry for late response.

When I posted this modification here, I start receiving PMs & E-mails from
all over the world & soon my PM section was full. I delete PMs after read
and again it was full. I trevel a lot for my business and diving & I do not know
how many PMs I did not received/bounced back. Again sorry for those members
who did not get my response.

Sam

#29 Herb Segars

Herb Segars

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

For anyone that is interested in this modification, I added a post on my blog with photos of my installation of the kit. It wasn't hard to do. The only tricky part was the washers under the internal extension. I believe that I can change over everything to the D200 is less than ten minutes and reinstall in about the same time. Sam did a great job with the kit. The link to the blog page is D300 into Subal D200 housing.

Herb Segars
Herb Segars
Herb Segars Photography
Nikon D-300, Subal housing, Nikon 12-24, Sigma 28-80, Nikon 60, Tokina 10-17, Ikelite DS-125's and Substrobe 200

#30 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

Herb,

Thanks very much for the clear, detailed explanation and images of your Subal conversion. I've ordered mine from Sam, and will use your page as a guide for my installation when the kit arrives.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#31 dhowie01

dhowie01

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:photography and video , SLR

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:07 AM

Herb,

Thanks very much for the clear, detailed explanation and images of your Subal conversion. I've ordered mine from Sam, and will use your page as a guide for my installation when the kit arrives.

Dear herb
how is the conversion underwater
don

#32 Herb Segars

Herb Segars

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

I was hoping that I would get the chance to try out the conversion before my dive season ended in New Jersey but I was not able to. I will be heading to Crystal River around Christmas time and I plan to try it out then. I will post how things went but based on what I see of the installation, I expect it to work just fine.

Herb Segars
Visit My Website
Herb Segars
Herb Segars Photography
Nikon D-300, Subal housing, Nikon 12-24, Sigma 28-80, Nikon 60, Tokina 10-17, Ikelite DS-125's and Substrobe 200

#33 -John-

-John-

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hi Sam,

I am interested in information for the Subal D200 conversion to D300.

I was unable to figure out how to contact you via email so please email me at

jd.hollingshead@yahoo.com

Thanks, -John-

#34 Herb Segars

Herb Segars

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

I haven't been able to use my modified housing yet but I received an email question from a fellow who has installed the mod and when he connects his strobes (YS-90 - I think), they do not fire. I decided to do some tests with my Ikelite DS-125's and the Subal housing with the D300 installed in the D200 housing. I have an Ikelite iTTL connector for dual Ikelite TTL strobes. I have the internal Subal strobe connector plugged into the five pin port. When I put both strobes on TTL and set the Ikelite connector to TTL, I get a lightning bolt in the camera viewfinder and the strobes fire as they should. In Aperture priority, everything works as it should. If I change the Ikelite connector to Manual and leave the camera in Aperture priority, the strobes still fire but the camera does not seem to recognize that the strobes are attached and chooses a shutter speed for an available light exposure. This is the same whether the strobes are set at TTL or in any of the manual modes. I then tried a single Ikelite DS-125 attached to the Subal connector plugged into the three pin port. I set the strobe on manual and the camera worked okay. It recognized the strobe and worked correctly in Aperture priority and the strobe fired.

I would be interested in anyone that has performed this mod and their experience with their strobes with the D300 in the D200 housing.
Herb Segars
Herb Segars Photography

#35 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hi,
I just want to clarify that my mod has nothing to do with electric wiring but, interested to learn what
can be the cause. I think it can be from version of YS-90 (I have seen several different version per
manufacturing date) and/or i-ttl cnvtr.

Sam

#36 Herb Segars

Herb Segars

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

The problem with the YS-90 was that the internal hot shoe connector was plugged into the five pin internal socket. Once the connector was plugged into the three pin connector, everything worked as it should.
Herb Segars
Herb Segars Photography

#37 Don Silcock

Don Silcock

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Well....thanks to Sam and his engineering skills I now have a fully functional D300 in my D200 Subal housing and you could say that I am quite pleased!

The kit arrived yesterday and I spent this morning installing it. Fairly straightforward, although I did have to resort to a few long forgotten skills from when I used to be a "fitter/turner" many years ago in the UK.... The new base plate was a perfect fit, the four buttons for the focus spot position/image review required extending using the soft wire provided in the kit and the five slip on extenders for the menu & image zoom buttons had to be filed down a bit as they interfered with the camera buttons when first installed.

Filing down the slip on extenders was the biggest job, but took less than an hour and the whole thing less that three hours!

I have tried all of my lens & port combinations and everything seems to work just fine and the only minor negative I can see right now is that it's hard to see the blue channel when looking at the 4 channel histogram. When looking at the actual image review, you can see enough to judge whether the composure is OK and the image zoom buttons work great so you can move the image around.

I am off to PNG on Saturday to do an assignement in Milne Bay and am really pleased to have the D300 to use. I have been very happy with my results from the D200 underwater and only bought a D300 for land use, figuring I would wait for the next generation of DX camera or go FX before upgrading again, but having the D300 in my existing housing is just heaven on a stick! It's a great camera on land and I'm looking forward to exploring it's capabilities underwater.

If everything works out, I can keep one of my D200 bodies as my backup/land camera when on dive trips and get my other D200 converted for I/R...

Sam, you are a legend - thanks very much!

Don
Don Silcock
Underwater Site: www.indopacificimages.com/
Travel Site: www.nomadicpixel.com/

#38 dhowie01

dhowie01

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:photography and video , SLR

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

Dear Don
Hope you enjoy Milne Bay
Please advise me how the d300 conversion works underwater. I presume you know to and would normally remove the eyepiece cover and the LCD cover, which I gather was the problem in the past
Don

Well....thanks to Sam and his engineering skills I now have a fully functional D300 in my D200 Subal housing and you could say that I am quite pleased!

The kit arrived yesterday and I spent this morning installing it. Fairly straightforward, although I did have to resort to a few long forgotten skills from when I used to be a "fitter/turner" many years ago in the UK.... The new base plate was a perfect fit, the four buttons for the focus spot position/image review required extending using the soft wire provided in the kit and the five slip on extenders for the menu & image zoom buttons had to be filed down a bit as they interfered with the camera buttons when first installed.

Filing down the slip on extenders was the biggest job, but took less than an hour and the whole thing less that three hours!

I have tried all of my lens & port combinations and everything seems to work just fine and the only minor negative I can see right now is that it's hard to see the blue channel when looking at the 4 channel histogram. When looking at the actual image review, you can see enough to judge whether the composure is OK and the image zoom buttons work great so you can move the image around.

I am off to PNG on Saturday to do an assignement in Milne Bay and am really pleased to have the D300 to use. I have been very happy with my results from the D200 underwater and only bought a D300 for land use, figuring I would wait for the next generation of DX camera or go FX before upgrading again, but having the D300 in my existing housing is just heaven on a stick! It's a great camera on land and I'm looking forward to exploring it's capabilities underwater.

If everything works out, I can keep one of my D200 bodies as my backup/land camera when on dive trips and get my other D200 converted for I/R...

Sam, you are a legend - thanks very much!

Don

don

#39 Arf

Arf

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Sam:

I'm interested in your conversion kit. How do I contact you?

Art

#40 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

Sam:

I'm interested in your conversion kit. How do I contact you?

Art

Hi,
Send me a PM here (to 'shchae') and/or e-mail to
chae5721 at gmail.com

Sam