12 replies to this topic

#1 stevef4715

stevef4715

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

Ive just started underwater photography with a Go Pro Hero 4 silver. I was on a dive yesterday and tried a new red filter I got for xmas, but instead of enhancing the reds at this depth EVERYTHING is red! I tried to edit using the white balance but no luck. I cannot find anything about this on google etc. What have I done wrong??

#2 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

If you take out the filter and everything is blue/green then U done nothing wrong.. It's your filters fault. Name the brand of the filter of you can...

Edited by hellhole, 06 March 2016 - 04:14 AM.

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6308 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:15 AM

Are you also using a light at the same time?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#4 stevef4715

stevef4715

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

The filter is one my wife brought on ebay, its cheap from asia i presume, but I thought you could any red filter even cellophone that was red. I wasnt using the light it was open water perfect viz. 

#5 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:56 AM

Some of these cheap ones are really bad. If it really red... Like blood red. Then it won't work. Tell your wife thanks... And get at better one

#6 stevef4715

stevef4715

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

Thanks all. Is there any way of rectifying on software? Ive tried GoPro studio but no bananas

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

Underwater blue-water color correction filters these days are more of a salmon color and not red.

For example see this link:

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=8539

I recall back in the film days that a CC30 red filter was suggested to use with an external filter adapter on Nikonos lenses (28 and 35mm) but I never got around to trying this. BTW 30CC units is fairly weak compared to red filters used for black and white film photography.

Edited by Tom_Kline, 07 March 2016 - 03:28 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#8 kanzer

kanzer

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi guys, 

I faced the same issue too on my first diving trip after my Open Water Course.. Anyone have a solution to fixing the photos and videos with the Red color?

Thanks in advance

#9 stevef4715

stevef4715

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

I had a dive on the weekend with some people that were right into photography. They had 3 red filters and called them shallow, mid and deep. They think I have been using a deep filter on shallow dives. I've looked on the net and the shallow filter is more pinkish than red. Maybe I have the wrong filter.....

#10 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

I had a dive on the weekend with some people that were right into photography. They had 3 red filters and called them shallow, mid and deep. They think I have been using a deep filter on shallow dives. I've looked on the net and the shallow filter is more pinkish than red. Maybe I have the wrong filter.....

LOL! That's what post #2 said!

#11 Timz

Timz

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:56 PM

e5d1350e9b58eb0a852af188a727f4ea.jpg

For the china filter, so far this is the best i've tried. However, I've switched to Polarpro then lost it in a dive. And now Polarpro Switchblade 2.0.

I've also heard really good result from SRP. If u need to shoot something really close with all the color restore, u definitely need a light. For now, I'm using 2x archon d11v. Of course there are other brands that's more expensive.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

#12 michalko82

michalko82

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

I have done the same mistake...bought one off ebay (amazon was selling them at that time too) and it ruined all my videos/pictures. It was thick and very red.

So I bought a Polarpro which is more pink-ish and all videos are great....Buy cheap, buy twice and all that...

#13 mattleach2114

mattleach2114

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

I used a cheap eBay filter for a few dives and the final outcome wasn't that great. After reading several reviews i broke down and bought a Backscatter Flip4 with a macro mate lense. Cant wait til my next dive to try it out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Go Pro, red filter