JKrumsick's Content

There have been 66 items by JKrumsick (Search limited from 21-September 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#327419 New Housing "Airlock" Vacuum from Backscatter

Posted by JKrumsick on 07 March 2013 - 10:08 AM in Photography Gear and Technique

I wonder about how accurate these systems are - I certainly see the intuitive connection between confirming that the pressure inside your housing using one of these systems not changing confirms that your housing will not flood.  But have there been extensive tests confirming the link between these two? 

Changing the pressure inside of your housing at sea level using a pump is different than changing the pressure outside of your housing at depth using seawater.

#326132 iGills - is this my next dive computer and camera rig

Posted by JKrumsick on 12 February 2013 - 07:26 PM in Photography Gear and Technique

The images and video will more than likely still be less than brilliant with such a tiny lens.

Call me a cynic, but i don't see this as a good idea or a needed product.

You have some points there. But with the smaller lens - just look at some of the gopro videos... that's a pretty tiny lens!

Also, I like the idea that if I get lost at sea I can use it to make an emergency call. That's one function I think is really nice (even though admittedly you won't get phone reception at every dive spot, this could be a potential life saver).

Anyone get one?

#323679 Informational Video about Anglerfish.

Posted by JKrumsick on 02 January 2013 - 06:21 PM in Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing

What a terrible life it must be to be an anglerfish...

Not sure how to embed youtube videos but here it is.

#320727 Another crab from Indonesia

Posted by JKrumsick on 16 November 2012 - 06:34 PM in Critter Identification

Love the worm on his head!

Ugh... I sold my u/w gear and just looking at this little crab makes me miss diving and U/W photography so much!!!

Of course along with that I thank my lucky stars I was privileged enough to take some shots underwater... but the act of it is so much more than looking at photos... I just miss being underwater will little guys like this...

You can have your fancy parties with interesting people spouting shit out of their mouths... I would take a night underwater with this guy any day.

Sorry for the rant... I just miss the water...

#319074 Mollusk? From Ambon, Indonesia

Posted by JKrumsick on 25 October 2012 - 09:33 AM in Critter Identification

I may be way off the mark...and probably am... but those black spots look like chromatophores to me... hence something in the cephalopod family. Baby cuttlefish?

#318301 Malaysia - Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai

Posted by JKrumsick on 13 October 2012 - 10:41 AM in Photo / Video Showcase

Excellent! I really love the flamboyant cuttlefish. Any shots of those guys are great but the combination of his sleepy eye and the "prongs" being nicely out of focus is particularly good.

#317442 Peterson/Gates Hasselblad SWC First Look Video

Posted by JKrumsick on 29 September 2012 - 07:05 AM in Photography Gear and Technique

Hey Guys,
I started reviewing some of my camera gear and posting them to youtube.

Here is my preview* of the Peterson/Gates Hasselblad SWC.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Jeremy

#317441 Why I hope oil prices move north of $250.

Posted by JKrumsick on 29 September 2012 - 06:53 AM in The Galley: General Chat

I have been watching a lot of interviews of Jeff Rubin, a Canadian economist. He has a few wide ranging theories regarding the price of oil and its ties with globalization. While his theories are provocative and aren't necessarily mainstream, I find them convincing.

Jeff Rubin on Oil and the End of Globalization

So in a nutshell - here's why I hope his forecast is correct:

If globalization trends become reversed then carbon emissions recede drastically. That's basically it. We would pollute less.

Of course, if his forecast are accurate, then travelling to PNG would be expensive beyond what I could afford. Digital camera prices would also be incredibly expensive. Prices of damn near everything would be more expensive. The percentage of disposable income used for necessities would increase (things like food, toilet paper and soap).

We would consume less as a species. And while I enjoy buying lots of shit, ultimately I would prefer we pollute less. I am painting in broad strokes here and touching on different points but I would be interested in others opinions on the matter (even though opinions completely opposite to my own).

Cheers,
Jeremy

#316835 What book(s) would you recommend?

Posted by JKrumsick on 20 September 2012 - 06:31 PM in Beginner Forum

While I think Martin Edge's book is pretty good. It's a hefty thing that sits on the shelf. And yes, it covers quite a lot... but it also refers to conversations here on wetpixel frequently. I suggest keep reading this forum... it's free, weighs nothing and has more updated information.

#315111 What to do with an U/W Housing in NYC...

Posted by JKrumsick on 23 August 2012 - 09:00 AM in The Galley: General Chat

While there is some diving in the NYC area, most of the vis is pretty bad and using WA is really tough!

I had some WA gear and wanted to use it so I decided to in Coney Island...

http://stillthrill.c...erwater-part-1/

Does anyone else find any other uses besides their backyard pool to shoot portraits? Anyone try fountains :-P ?

#313659 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 27 July 2012 - 12:24 PM in Classifieds

SOLD! Thanks to Brian for the quick and easy transaction!

#313292 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 21 July 2012 - 10:53 AM in Classifieds

Another PM sent

Hey Everyone - Putting the offer on hold while finalizing a deal for the setup. If on the off chance the deal doesn't go through, then I will put back on the forum.

Thanks for looking!

Jeremy

#312618 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 11 July 2012 - 10:54 AM in Classifieds

Hey Kari -

I am talking to some people about selling without the 7D body and Sola 600. I would be willing to sell for $4300 without those two items. Would you be interested? Or maybe more with the Sola 600.

I understand about the price... I only bought the housing after I sold my car ;-P.

#312312 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 06 July 2012 - 04:35 PM in Classifieds

Still Listed as the whole package. Will accept reasonable offers!

#311788 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 25 June 2012 - 08:50 PM in Classifieds

sent you a pm yesterday that you read today but no response, please respond

To answer your question - I may sell these strobes individually or as a package if the whole package doesn't sell. As I mentioned in my earlier post - "Because shedding all of this gear separately is more difficult, I will sell as one gigantic package for the first couple of weeks and if no bites... then judiciously sell in packages."

#311685 Nauticam NA 7D Housing with Zen Mini Dome, Flat Port, Stix Float Arms, Sola 6...

Posted by JKrumsick on 24 June 2012 - 07:26 AM in Classifieds

Hey Everyone -
It's time to part ways with my beloved housing and setup. The only reason I am selling is that my fiance requires I only have one "monster" in the house at a time. And I am now more interested in film so I have housed my Hasselblad ;-P. The Nauticam served me incredibly well. She accompanied me on around 150 dives (Carribean, Florida and Asia[1][2] click for photos). Without question this camera/housing combination can take stunning photos (provided the right photographer is pulling the trigger). It has never been flooded and always well taken care of. Because shedding all of this gear separately is more difficult, I will sell as one gigantic package for the first couple of weeks and if no bites... then judiciously sell in packages. This will include everything you need (except the macro lens, which I already sold).

1 Nauticam NA 7D Housing.
2. Canon 7D (comes with original box, battery charger and strap).
2. Inon Z240 mk IV (with fiber optic sync cord)
3. Inon S2000 (with fiber optic sync cord)
4. Sola 600 Red (Three levels of brightness and Red function)
5. ULCS Control Arms with clamps
6. Zen Mini Dome to fit Tokina 10-17 (and extension to fit Nauticam housing)
7. Nauticam Compact Flat Port 50 and Extensions (to fit Nauticam housing)
8. Tokina 10-17 with Nauticam Zoom Gear.

Package deal - $5000.

Photos of the system on Flickr

#311637 Cuttlefish Hunting

Posted by JKrumsick on 23 June 2012 - 08:09 AM in Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing

Great videos! I really love the cuttlefish strike. I've never seen that before! And to watch the tentacles at the front of its face be put to such good use (holding the struggling fish in place) really shows the evolutionary advantage of those appendages.

I also loved the goby and shrimp video. What an odd pair. I was cracking up at the shrimp as well. These guys have been in this relationship for millions of years.

#311408 Slow Motion Sweetlips

Posted by JKrumsick on 19 June 2012 - 05:32 PM in Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing

I love how his nose and tail are transparent. My dive guide used to call him "the wiggly-bum fish". :-)

#310889 Diving in the chilean patagonea

Posted by JKrumsick on 11 June 2012 - 01:37 PM in Photo / Video Showcase

Great photos of the wreck. It looks like it has been there for a very long time! When did it sink?

Also, what was the depth and temperature at the wreck?

Very cool!

#310887 Voigtlander 15mm 3.5

Posted by JKrumsick on 11 June 2012 - 01:27 PM in Photography Gear and Technique

Hey Tonhil,
I have used the lens quite a lot (and the Bessa-L). While I was impressed that a $400 lens could do what it did... I think there are better optics out there. I would love to see a comparison of the Voigtlander 15 4.5 and the Zeiss 15 2.8. I really love my Zeiss 21mm 2.8 zm. I don't even mention Leica due to the obscene prices.

I also think that this wouldn't be worth the effort unless you are just completely obsessed with that camera and lens combo. If you want, perhaps you could do something with the Voigtlander 15mm with the new Olympus OM (ED5 or something?). Dr. Mustard did a review of it and it looks to be a great camera. There are adapters out there that will take M-mounted glass too.

#310715 What choice - next camera

Posted by JKrumsick on 08 June 2012 - 07:49 AM in Beginner Forum

If the budget is an issue then why are you choosing the most expensive point and shoot?

I do like the Canon brand and have owned many of their products... but I am starting to see the benefits of the m4/3 category. It's $800. Of course this includes the lens and this lens is supposed to be a good one. However, the new OM Olympus is supposed to be really amazing. Much better image quality.

Also, the really cool thing about the M 4/3 category is that they can accommodate for old, rangefinder lenses (voigtlander, zeiss and leica). I don't know about how suitable these lenses are for underwater work, but I can attest, these are fantastic for topside photography (portrait work is great). The voigtlander lenses are very reasonable as well (some for $300).

If I were to go for anything, it would be for the new OM Oly.

#310182 Lightest, smallest computer that runs lightroom

Posted by JKrumsick on 31 May 2012 - 01:40 PM in Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing

Hey Diver Pam -

I think you should guesstimate how many photos you will be taking on the trip. Last year I dove Taiwan, Komodo, Lembeh and Palau with one comp. I dove for 5 weeks with a Toshiba netbook with 250 gigs of hard drive space and I filled it up (also had an extra 100 gigs of extra compact flash cards and filled all of those up too). So I would take into account how much storage you will need.

Also - having a larger monitor is helpful for viewing your photos. I really wish I would have had a larger monitor to critique my photos and help my technique.

Just some thoughts!

Cheers,
Jeremy

#310078 You know you are a U/W/ photo nerd when...

Posted by JKrumsick on 30 May 2012 - 06:59 AM in The Galley: General Chat

When your wife suggests an evening investigating the best use of a lubricant and you promptly head to the camera room and work on lubricating O-rings all evening. :)

That's taking it too far!! I think exploring the best use of lubricant with your wife will probably bring inspiration to your photographs... So please... explore the lubes with your wife and not your housing :-).

#309613 NSFW Something different

Posted by JKrumsick on 24 May 2012 - 10:37 AM in Photo / Video Showcase

I don't really like the perspective though. If this was a fish shot it would be getting knocked as a tail shot with no eye contact. I like the idea though. I think I'd like it a lot better as a profile as opposed to the model swimming away.

It's a good point about the hypothetical "if she was a fish". Something is still enchanting about a nude woman swimming away from us... as opposed to a fish swimming away from us.

I really like how timeless nudes in the water are. There is nothing which puts a timestamp on the work... I feel like the B&W shot was almost done in the 50's but that is because my imagination tells me so.

#309511 You know you are a U/W/ photo nerd when...

Posted by JKrumsick on 23 May 2012 - 06:40 AM in The Galley: General Chat

You know you're an U/W photo nerd when you are planning on taking over/under shots in fountains around NYC just to use your housing.