• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

I have access to cases of Kimwipes at the office I work at.

Thoughts on using these to clean lenses?

Kinwipes_EKW341_Kimwipes_4_5_x_8_5_13693

#2 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Kimwipes should be fine to clean lenses, as long as there is no grit or hard dirt on the lens surface.  I have used a number of readily available papers and cloths, with good results; toilet paper, Kleenex, soft paper napkins, soft towels, etc.  The key is that both the glass and tissue be clean and soft.  A soft touch and lint free cloth or paper tissue is of course preferred. I have even seen wet newspaper used to clean glass windows, with no ill effects, as long as the moisture is promptly dried from the glass surface.

After diving, all glass surfaces should be promptly wiped dry, very gently so that no water remains on the glass surface to evaporate.  If the water contains minerals, as the water evaporates, the minerals (such as calcium and magnesium carbonates) will form a deposit on the glass, which with time becomes next to impossible to remove.

#3 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:10 AM

Kimwipes should be fine to clean lenses, as long as there is no grit or hard dirt on the lens surface. 

.....and that's the problem.  Kimwipes apparently do have grit that is used in their manufacture (diatomaceous earth) and should never be used on lenses.  You should really use lens paper, if possible, but if not, something soft that is clean and without grit will work.  We have Kimwipes in the lab, but we also purchase lens paper for use on optics, even though it is more expensive it is better for the lenses.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#4 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:46 AM

.....and that's the problem.  Kimwipes apparently do have grit that is used in their manufacture (diatomaceous earth) and should never be used on lenses.  You should really use lens paper, if possible, but if not, something soft that is clean and without grit will work.  We have Kimwipes in the lab, but we also purchase lens paper for use on optics, even though it is more expensive it is better for the lenses.

These folks disagree with you: https://www.aflgloba...g/Kimwipes.aspx

Do you have a citable source to back up your statement?

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#5 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

The seller of Kimwipes does not mention diatomaceous earth, and states that Kimwipes are fine for glass.

I personally have absolutely no financial or other interest in the subject, other than to be a good underwater diver and photographer, and I would be interesed in learning where the diatomaceous information originated.

Here is the commercial quote:

"This product comes in one box which contains 280 pcs of 4.5"x8.75" wipers.

Features:

• Disposable lint-free Kimwipes
  • Soft, gentle, absorbent lint-free wipes for light-duty tasks
  • Easily picks up liquid and dust without scratching fragile surfaces
  • Economical delicate task wipers are soft, non-abrasive and are considered safe for use on most delicate surfaces
  • Made from 100% virgin wood fiber "
  •  
  • https://www.fiberopt...ant=50978039253

#6 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:53 AM

Maybe they have changed, but that is what I was told when taking optics classes in graduate school.  That was over twenty years ago now, though.  I still don't use them on optics, you can do what you want.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#7 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Is there also a compact box available or what/how do you use these on a trip?
Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Nikon 17-35mm, Zen 170 Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#8 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1879 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

According to Zeiss (and I guess they know something about optics) Kimwipes are good for cleaning optics as long as they are wet; most likely because if there are particulates on the lens a dry rub can push the particle into the coating. We use 100% IPA for the wetness with no issues so far.  For travel, you can take them out of the box and put them in a ziplock bag. For stubborn cleaning I fold them about 4 times, soak them with IPA and use a hemostat to hold the folded kimwipe.  That way no finger grease gets on the lens.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net