• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Ran into some hard coral...

What do I do now? The scratch is about an inch long, right in the center of my lens, and I can see it clearly when I close focus.

#2 bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1863 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

You can probably get it polished from someone like focal point in Colorado, cheaper than a new one. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it is probably too deep to fix. There are people who think they can do this themselves but they are mostly wrong.  I think focal point charges between $200 and $300 to polish such lenses, there are other companies that do it as well. 

Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.

#3 Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1634 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:03 AM

The dome is made of double coated glass it cannot be polished. You need to send it back to Nauticam for replacement

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

#4 Cwee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Conservation

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

Or fill it with clear fingernail polish, then buff lightly with acetone and a Terry cloth. That's an age-old trick that's worked on auto glass for as long as I can remember. Most UW glass is not externally coated, contrary to popular belief (anti-reflective coatings would go on the INSIDE of the dome, if at all) and if you're already annoyed by the scratchyou have nothing to lose in trying. Worst case, you have to strip the entire exterior glass with the acetone if you do have some rare coating there that is noticeably affected. (Test a corner first)