• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

I recently went on a week of dives using a lembeh stick, an 18-inch long aluminum stick, like what divemasters often use to bang on their tank and point at things.

My question is basically - how do you carry this thing in and out of the water?   I am diving with a Nauticam housing for a Nikon D810 with dual strobes.   So I have a lot of gear to deal with underwater already.

What I'm really wondering is how people handle these sticks when not using them, and specifically when entering the water.

I bought a stick, and I grabbed a wrist strap from some old gear.   I put the wrist strap on my wrist and enter the water holding the stick.  Once I am in the water, I swim back to the boat and someone hands me my camera rig.   I then spend the remainder of the dive holding the stick in my left hand, and occasionally using it to hold still for a macro, or point to something in an anemone.

I keep thinking there might be a way to clip the stick to my BC instead of having to hold it, at least when entering the water.

I also keep thinking of a dive trip last fall where another diver raved about the uses of the stick.  He had it stuck in his BCD somehow, and as soon as he got in the water, I saw the stick hurtle past me to the bottom as it wasn't attached to anything.   Fortunately, the bottom was only 25 feet, so he got his stick back.

I'm thinking of all sorts of possible storage places, including shoving it mostly up my sleeve, but it's really too long for that.   It's just one more thing I have to deal with underwater, and I want it clipped to me or wrist-strapped, but I want to minimize the hassle of it.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1906 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

I attach mine (only 12-13 inches long) to a retractor that is attached to my BC.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

Why do you need the stick?

A very small one can be useful for unfolding crinoids but a big one for a photographer is just a nuisance. The dive guides do the pointing and tapping. All the photographers have to do is use their buoyancy skills. You don’t need a stick for that, right?

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

The stick ià very useful to stabilize the vertical position of a camera for macro shots, even if your buoyancy control is excellent. By the way, I wonder if Lembeh is meant, rather than lempeh. I've always heard them called muck sticks.

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, muck sticks - and much seen in Lembeh. 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 pbalves

pbalves

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

I know one guy that put the stick inside the sleve of the wetsuit. 

I am not very found of that, because it take a lot of time to put it inside, and somehow it seems to me "not so safe" when he is pushing the stink inside the sleeve.

I do believe that a stick might be helpfull for some macro shots, to use as an extra support (ex: like a monopd).

Having it hanging on te BCD does not seam the right way (I do not like to have a lot of equipment hanging, what is not needed should not be there, what need to be there, needs to be properly trimmed)

This brings me back to my friends method.... Or close to it. Having it on the arm seem to me that it is an interesting idea, as it is more or less the same lenght of the forearm and it is easily accecible. I am trying to find a way to hold it in place (outside the wetsuit) in an easy way. Maybe with bungees or velcro.

But for now, it is just an idea.

#7 dirkhh

dirkhh

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

I have mine in my left hand with a little leash around the wrist so I don't drop it, and then I keep it parallel to the left handle of my tray, so that the center of the stick is roughly at the center of the handle and the stick extends only a little above and below the handle. Which means that while I move around it's out of the way, doesn't dangle, etc.

If I need it, I hold my camera just with my right hand and use the stick with my left - either to bang my tank, point out a critter to another diver in the group, or for macro shots, as improvised mono-pod (simply slide it down that you grab the top of the stick, once again grab the left handle, et voila, you have a poor man's mono-pod).

Not sure that's the best way to do it, but it seems to work reasonably well for me.

Oh, and at the end of the dive, when I hand the camera back to someone on the boat, I clip the stick to my BC.  

#8 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

with a weight integrated BCD I clip to the BCD D ring near the weight pocket and push it up into the weight pocket when I'm not using it.  Generally sees to stay there.

#9 divengolf

divengolf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:53 AM

I clip mine to my rig and pass both up together. Have it around my left wrist while in the water with rig. Use a small spiral bracelet that fits over my wrist.

#10 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

Sounds like a product opportunity for someone, a bayonet-mount stick with storage tube that mounts to a housing tray. 

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#11 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hi,
if it looks like i would not need it for a longer time during the dive, i put it in the neopren cover of my Inon Float arm.
As well for entering or leaving the water.
If needed, it is attached with a loop around my right hand, and for short periods of not using i hold it together with my right handle of the rig.

But mine is only 10 inch long ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

#12 Stig

Stig

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

I attached a small clip to the wrist lanyard so I can clip it to a chest D-ring and poke the other end between the BCD cummerbund and waist strap.  Seemed to keep it out of the way without it digging into me or anything else when I wasn't using it.

#13 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

My stick has a wrist strap.  I find it most useful.  Here is how to make a dive stick out of recycled stuff:

http://wetpixel.com/...hl=+dive +stick