• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#221 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:20 PM

Yes it is correct but the strobe design won’t be for changing voltage so the additional battery pack of the retra is most likely going in parallel or as back up not in series so the recycle performance is not changing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#222 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

Yes it is correct but the strobe design won’t be for changing voltage so the additional battery pack of the retra is most likely going in parallel or as back up not in series so the recycle performance is not changing

The original Retra Flash did have the recycle time halved with the optional extended battery compartment (8xAA vs 4xAA); why would they drop this feature from the new generation? The fast recycle time is the primary draw of the extended battery - I mean, how often do you need 200+ full-power flashes in a single dive?

#223 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:48 PM

The original Retra Flash did have the recycle time halved with the optional extended battery compartment (8xAA vs 4xAA); why would they drop this feature from the new generation? The fast recycle time is the primary draw of the extended battery - I mean, how often do you need 200+ full-power flashes in a single dive?

There is generally a limit to the current you can draw before you fry the cell and I think putting AA batteries in series is a bad idea as generally the design with the standard pack would already draw a high current
I was not aware the old retra was going in series but if I was them I would not repeat the same design and as far as I have read the new battery pack add on is not compatible

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#224 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:08 AM

Be that as it may, Oskar has explicitly stated, right here in this thread, that the optional battery pack will improve cycle time.

#225 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

Whichever way you do it more batteries will always give more flashes.  It is a fairly simple matter to design a different set of contacts for the custom battery pack, Metz used to do this with their hammerhead flashes so the Ni-Cd pack which was 7.2V fed a different circuit to the 6 x AA pack (9V) pack,  The 4AA's could then feed one tapping on the transformer and the 8 AA in series could feed another.  Then you could control the speed of charge separately and also get more flashes.

#226 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

Whichever way you do it more batteries will always give more flashes.  It is a fairly simple matter to design a different set of contacts for the custom battery pack, Metz used to do this with their hammerhead flashes so the Ni-Cd pack which was 7.2V fed a different circuit to the 6 x AA pack (9V) pack,  The 4AA's could then feed one tapping on the transformer and the 8 AA in series could feed another.  Then you could control the speed of charge separately and also get more flashes.

It is not so simple as any switch between battery packs has to be done by the strobe and this involves programming logic that is not such a strength for any of the operators making UW equipment I would not compare the maturity of land devices with underwater
In any case we should wait and see what’s in the making

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#227 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:06 AM

The system I described is purely mechanical, just two different contacts.  Metz had this system on their CT-45 flashes in 70's and 80's

#228 captaindubow

captaindubow

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

Any updates on availablity 

#229 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:24 PM

Hi

We post updates in the news section on our homepage. 

Here is an excerpt from the latest update: 

We expect the first packages will depart at the end of July / beginning of August. The currently pre-ordered flashguns can be expected for delivery throughout August and September.

Please note that our warning regarding the shipping date for pre-orders still stands: "Delivery times may change due to production delays or product improvements. If you are planning a diving trip with the new Retra Flash at the time of the estimated delivery date we strongly advise against pre-ordering! There is no guarantee you will receive the product on time. Your pre-order may be fully refunded at any time. Currency conversion changes will not be compensated in the event of a refund."

More updates will follow in the coming months as we edge ever closer to sending out the new products. Right now we are super busy with the pre-production runs.

www.retra-uwt.com

#230 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, but that last post there is dated April 5th, nearly three months ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an open preorder who would appreciate some newer info :)

Incidentally, I'm going to the Philippines for three weeks of diving in October - having a pair of Retra Pros to take with me would be a nice bonus. Mind you, not having them wouldn't break my trip, as I have a pair of older strobes that I can take with me, but still, it'd be nice to have new toys to play with.

#231 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2368 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, but that last post there is dated April 5th, nearly three months ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an open preorder who would appreciate some newer info :)

Incidentally, I'm going to the Philippines for three weeks of diving in October - having a pair of Retra Pros to take with me would be a nice bonus. Mind you, not having them wouldn't break my trip, as I have a pair of older strobes that I can take with me, but still, it'd be nice to have new toys to play with.

Give the guys a break lol
If the schedule remains the same what are they supposed to do?
Also for macro you probably are better off with a pair of z240 or ysd1/2

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#232 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

I think we forget how lucky we are to have Oskar posting on this forum at all - other strobe manufacturers do not.

I pre-ordered the Retra Pro the first day it was available back in Nov. I'm super excited whenever its ready but also very aware that I agreed to an open-ended delivery.

I'm sure they'll post updates once they have a better idea. Happy for them to take the time to make sure its a solid product.